review: PELTOR COMTAC II headset (Element)

One of the most commonly used headsets of the US fighting Forces are probably the PELTOR COMTAC II and III (from 3M)  

In a matter of fact, this is 1. an active hearing protection, witch wil wil amplify the soft surounding sounds, en wil subdue the armfull hard noices. And 2. an integrated communications headset .  The headset is designed so that it can be worn in combination with a helm !

UohWYcP.jpg

The more demanding Airsofter, who wants to compose a more complete& realistic  loadout, or like to start play more organized, and tactical. wil sooner or later be put in choice for an headset.  Most likely a "tacticool" model wil be recuired, and a COMTAC wil be desirable, if not a RS should costs a 500$ or  600 $ !  :unsure:  

Fortunately we have our Chinese-Element friends (again)   :)   

Element/Z-tac, has made this -a bit- more affordable replica for the Airsofter .

......................................................................................................................................................................................................

The Z 041 zCOMTAC II

About the overal looks

The Z-041 COMTAC II comes in a cardboard blister box , with a decent and clear manual   fbvoeRk.jpg

RLNCaqy.jpg

This COMTAC II is pretty accurate "replicated", for comparison i have -complete by change- for my work an ordinary Peltor hearing protection, and i can say the headbands are as good as  identical.

This COMTAC may appear a bit "plastic" but to be honest, if you compare the Element with the real PELTOR , you need to admit he looks very "plastic" to  :D

Pityiful currently the (real) COMTAC III is already very commonly used , the outer details are minor, but the COMTAC III is mostly in FDE/TAN. And the Element version is only available in OD 

(It must be said, Airsoftpeak has some camo models)

RpQgh6v.jpg

RrN7ujo.jpg

5NfG187.jpg

......................................................................................................................................................................................................

About the active volume protection

Same a s the original COMTAC this replica is equipped with the "active volume protection"

i must say a nice feature, and when i received this headset, initially i didn't noticed/espected that a "replica" should be outfitted with such a sophisticated feature.

As usual i "un boxed" this headset quite impulsively, and inpatient !   :D 

And i was realy surprised  when i pressed in the two control buttons, and the function was activated !

Of coarse you can use the headset without this function engaged, The "Communication sounds" are audible when the cable is plugged in, in a source.

So when both control buttons -on the left hear piece- are pressed in simultaneously, the Active volume protection is activated, there are three volume settings.

The softer surrounding sounds are getting amplified while the hard "harmful' noice's are dampened.i only tested this indoors, but in my opinion it works realy good.

The system works with 2 -not included- AAA batteries , you can place these accu's after opening the cover with a screwdriver, the covers are tight fitted into the ear shells.

E6UydCu.jpg

HTxUi8b.jpg

EfAveWy.jpg

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

About the headset function  

To use the headset/comm function , the cable needs to be plugged in in a source (of coarse)

A PTT (Push To Talk) is recuired and needs to purchased separately !!!

(Airsoftpeak as them is sets as wel !)

As thee name itself reveals this device, you need to push in the button before you can be speak into the microphone

This PTT is connected between headset, and source (radio, cell phone, pc etc...) and because there are multiple types of radio connectors, this is an item witch should be chosen individually.  The "radio volume" can be set in various steps, but in my opinion (and others to) the loudest volume setting, should be louder !

Also check out this nice video from Element itself

oVc0znh.jpg 

About the construction itself    

The headband itself is made out of springsteel, witch automatically adjust to the width of the head, the ear cups itself hare suspended in plastic brackets, witch are pivoting, the brackets itself are sliding over the steel rods, so that height adjustment is possible .

The headset is fully detachable, so that -for example- a rail adapter set can be added, with this accessorie the headset can be mounted directly onto the RAC rail of a Fast, Mich, or other "railed"  helmet.

When the cotton headband is removed, the clever rigging of the cables, with rubber bands are revealed,.

If we want to remove the cups from the bracket , some attention is recuired ! more precise there is a small and a wide side on the cup's post, so you need to turn the cup 90° before the cup can be 'clicked" off, otherwise you can break the brackets!

QHc0UL8.jpg

RTfNGRL.jpg

O3vBRYh.jpg

About the helmet rail adapter set 

This set i received together with the headset, but it is not included, if recuired ; you need to purchase it separately !

It is available in tan, once the COMTAC is "disassembled"  the ear cups can be attached .

Same as for the original brackets , the are sliding over the steel rods, for height adjustment.

The mount on itself is sliding into the RAC rail with some tension, but in a way it can be easily taken of to be put in stowed position for example.

brmaDuu.jpg

ehHa7b9.jpg

679ggon.jpg 

Maybe you saw already that there is a set of picatinnyrail's suplied with the kit, these can be mounted as follows, onto the mount, for example to attach a small flashlight.

cXtvk9O.jpg

jWPc0NO.jpg

I tried it out with my M300 mini scout light but it must be said the whole assembly gets a bit wide , in my opinion, besides the "decor" is my Element Fast helmet, witch is the base for my "brainbucket" build , but more about that another time in another (new) topic :D 

uKhiI59.jpg

Pro's and Con's and where to find

Accurate replica                                                                              -  a COMTAC III version, in tan is still not available 

Active volume protection                                                                 -  The Radio volume should be able to set higher 

Cheaper than an original COMTAC II                                             -  Altough much cheaper than the real COMTAC still a "pricy" item 

+ multiple accessories available such as helmet rails

Element offers a good service in case of issues

Most likely these Element/T-tac COMTAC's  are randomly available , but i know Airsoftpeak as a pretty huge collection, they also offer them as sets with a PTT of choice, and besides the ship free, and have frequently discount

Here the COMTAC II in olive (here the multiple connection posibilities)

9880.jpg

COMTAC II in digital dessert camo

11729.jpg

COMTAC II in Multicam

11728.jpg

COMTAC II in A-TACS

11727.jpg

The Rail adapterset

10126.JPG

The U94 PTT same as mine and here some other PTT models 

11450.jpg

Keep an eye out for all the wire connections as they from normal use will come loose and break off the board.

Some have luck with them lasting and others they don't even work ootb.

Another reason I went with real surplus. The cost is greater but knowing they work.

Comtac 2s can be had for 200$ if you bide your time on eBay.

I wanted sordins so I spent a good bit but that's my fault. I should of looked around for nexus and not lemo.

I bring this up as most sites even over charge for the clones to the point it's robbery.

Edited by Alias1983
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've tried multiple ACM headsets and PTTs but they always seemed to fail. In the end I picked up a set of Comtac XP's (£90 on ebay), Kenwood fist mic (£25) and the Peltor audio cable (£15). Not a huge stretch beyond the price of the Ztactical stuff and you have the added bonus of disconnecting the headset and audio cable and just using the fist mic..