Assault Pack Recommendations

Gigueand

Hi guys,

I'm in the market for an assault pack. To be clear, I'm looking for something small enough to tote around easily while also being large enough to carry:

• hydration bladder
  • Spare ammo
  • Extra radio battery
  • Inclement weather gear (rain jacket or fleece)
  • Food (think stripped down MRE)
  • HPA Tank
  • Etc

I've looked at a few packs such as the TT Fight Light pack, MSM Adapt Pack (basically the same thing as the TT pack), Mystery Ranch 3-Day ($$$), USMC ILBE 3-Day and BHI 3-Day.

These range in size from 1,178 cubic inches to 2,000 cubic inches.

I currently have a Mountain Smith lumbar pack (800 cu in) and an Eagle MAP (1131 cu in). I kind of doubt I could fit everything above in my Eagle MAP, so I'm leaning towards a larger (1,500 - 2,400 cu in) pack.

A nice bonus feature would be the capability to mount to the rear of a PC via swiftclips or the link. Top loading is ideal.

Any recommendations?

If you want to go for something in between the ones you listed and the Eagle MAP maybe check out a YOTE pack?

I have one made by Flyye and i carry (or used to since i got rid of my HPA setup) almost exactly the load you listed with some room to spare, especially if you expand the mesh cangaroo compartment.

It can be attached to a PC via molle and the straps are decent if a bit stiff on the Flyye version. Been serving me well for two or three ish years now.

Definitely go with something at the larger end, you'll struggle to stuff all that in to a TT Removeable/MSM Adapt (though they're a great small pack design).

Attaching to a PC seems like a great idea until the top of your front plate bag starts trying to choke you to death.  Leave the back of your PC slick, use the pack straps, cinch 'em up good and high and make good use of the sternum strap to keep it tight and minimise flapping.  I see so many airsofters with PALS'd on packs who've got zero access to all the gear in said pack and they're constantly badgering others (taking someone out of 'the fight') to get their stuff for them.

Grey Ghost are definitely good quality (close to TT) and they use all the same materials, but being made in the far east rather than the US you're paying a fair bit less and they're definitely up to the job for airsoft.  I mean hey if you can stretch to MR then go for it, it'll be awesome; I spent a lot of time with the FirstSpear COMM pack (large variant) recently too and I'd strongly recommend that as well, you just need to add a sternum strap to it.  The FS field ruck is also great.

GWA rates the PIG 40 hour and looking at it, based on my experience with a fair few packs I would say it's well worth your attention: http://www.skdtac.com/PIG-40-Hour-Pack-p/pig.721.htm

Like the above.

MAPS are good as long as you don't have to eighter get something in it or take something out.

But for backpacks over a PC make sure it sits firm on your body

so that it doesn't make the PC rub against your back skin.

Hipbelts are good as long as they are padded or you in some way can fixate them

Grey Ghost are definitely good quality (close to TT) and they use all the same materials, but being made in the far east rather than the US you're paying a fair bit less and they're definitely up to the job for airsoft. 

http://soldiersystems.net/2013/07/02/grey-ghost-gear-and-tactical-tailor-announce-strategic-partnership/

IIRC most (if not all) GGG products are actually OEM'd by TT.

I'm not sure where you're recalling that from, but you may wish to read that article a little more closely with a more critical eye.  I get that it may come across that way on an initial read but the fact is they're just linked on the design side for the most part.  "Headquartered' in the US is very different to made in the US, they're just like LBX and a few other similar setups.

How much of their stuff do you have if you don't mind me asking?  Because I've got a fair few items and I check the labels in everything I buy.  TT stuff is US made, but the two different GGG packs I have right here say "Made in Vietnam", as did the 3rd one I had and sold a while ago.  My Grey Ghost pouches don't have any labels to indicate, but a rule of thumb I've personally found in the past 5-6 years of buying American kit (I'd imagine you have similar experience) is that if it doesn't say "MADE IN MURICA" with a great big American flag on the label somewhere; it's not American in origin.

Ouch, the PTS shop guys told me that when I see the backpacks, didn't really check the label. If that's the case I should say they did a very good job there, didn't buy any of their goods but I do believe they are made by TT when I held them on my hands.

Bit of OT, speaking of origins I do love Emdom pouches and 5.11 pants ( when they started ), guess where were they made? :P

Ouch, the PTS shop guys told me that when I see the backpacks, didn't really check the label. If that's the case I should say they did a very good job there, didn't buy any of their goods but I do believe they are made by TT when I held them on my hands.

Bit of OT, speaking of origins I do love Emdom pouches and 5.11 pants ( when they started ), guess where were they made? :P

Well.. yeah they probably thought that themselves in fairness.  Unfortunately I think some folks believe that when they step in to any airsoft/kit shop on their first day working there, the matrix downloads everything there is to know right in to their brains; doubly a problem for people who're just doing it for a job or haven't been in to 'tactical stuff' for very long; it's a lot less effort to just give a customer any old answer when you know that they don't know any better.  But as I say Grey Ghost still use the good materials and it's not far off, pretty much looks like TT at first glance.  I used one of their little packs every day for work for a good year or more, never had any problems; my latest one popped the end stitch on a small section (not load bearing) when my brother put a fair bit of weight in it to use it for his work every day the past couple of weeks, but it's barely noticeable and it's not going to be an issue long-term.

Emdom make stuff in HK itself I believe?  Pretty sure I read that on Mil-Morons somewhere.  I'd say their sewers are a little more skilled than the average, my belt and sling from them would entirely rival any high-end US brand.  5.11 have the odd screw-up, but personally, even though I've bought far fancier stuff, I still really like them for things I know I'm just gonna beat on and they do a great job of keeping up with the times, despite their origins.  It is a little more budget friendly on the fabrics as far as apparel goes, but still at least as good if not better than a lot of US and UK issued kit and that's plenty good enough for just about anyone that's not SF end of the day.  I've not tried any of their packs and yeah their stuff seems basic compared to some of the insanely high-tech uniforms that OR and Tyr have come out with just lately, but I have one particular pair of OD trousers from their TDU line that I'll absolutely grab first thing over Crye when I'm going to be stomping through the undergrowth and mud.  Apart from anything the elasticated waist line is awesome when you've had that gassy can of pop in the afternoon break just before going in to the last game of the day, xD

The recommendation for a non-PC mounted pack is a good one. Especially given that there likely will be things in the pack I'll need to access.

I should also note that I don't mind having a non-military style day pack either. So something from REI, Mountainsmith, etc. If I do buy a pack it will be in a flat color, not a camouflage scheme as I'd like to immediately be identified as military-esque.

How big is the HPA tank? I just got a 35L Berghaus Munro that's perfect for an assault pack. I use it to commute to the field and can fit my entire kit into it despite its slim size. The only problem is that it doesn't have a hydration pouch, although it does have an inner "pouch" that you may be able to use as a makeshift hydration pouch. 

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a Blackhawk Titan in Multicam a couple of years ago, I use it all the time. Internally it is huge with 2 small pockets in the main pouch, an organisation pouch and a sausage pouch (containing 2 smaller sections) and 2 detachable molle side pouches. The whole thing is approx 47 litres in size and you can live out of it for 3 days. I've had a couple of modifications done to mine by the guys at 1157 tactical, these were a roll-away beaver tail (to store my helmet when not being worn) and I had the plastic buckles on the straps replaced with cobra buckles so they would last forever.

Picture from another site, I can post mine (inc mods) on request.

61GPFq1C3TL._SY355_.jpg

Archived