IA (Iron Airsoft) HK416 to HK416C conversion project

hitmanNo2

So I really like HK416Cs.  I could just buy a WE/VFC HK416C but I am already invested in the WA platform in terms of mags e.t.c. so WE would be a bit silly.  I'm not too keen on the VFC even though they are pretty solid now?  I gather they can take regular WA mags with some mods.

I do have an IA HK416 so I was hoping to convert it to a HK416C.  First of all I need to check parts compatibility and then prices of parts before I can see if it's probably best to buy a HK416C straight up.  I just don't really need another AR and I don't mind swapping between HK416/HK416C when I feel like it.

So what I need is an idea of parts compatibility between WE parts (they seem easier to source than VFC) and 'RS spec' IA/Prime.  Most of them are are external stuff so I thought I might be OK.  Not sure about outer barrels.  Here's what I was thinking I should try and get a hold of.  Yes, I know it's quite a list but still.  And yes, some are not the proper names but you get the gist.  And I'm not bothered about the folding front sight as I want to run regular HK416 front sight.

What do we reckon?  Doable or mad?

207 - recoil buffer

208 - recoil buffer spring

206 - recoil spring

187 - rail

07 - left rail clamp

10 - right rail clamp

09 - rail screw

205 - pistol grip

80 - pistol grip screw

192 - end cap - (depending on compatibility of the stock I've ordered and the superior WE recoil setup I want to use)

193 - end cap insert (depending on compatibility of the stock I've ordered and the superior WE recoil setup I want to use)

76 - selector détente

77 - selector détente spring

209 - rail front cap

210 - rail front cap spring

17 - barrel nut

211 - outer barrel

225 x 2 - barrel pin

226 - grub screw?

120 - gas block

02 - washer

03 - washer

212 - flash hider

213 - gas piston cap

214 - op rod

13 - gas system

12 - op rod spring

14 - pin?

11 - op rod end

c5umOr3.jpg

• 1 month later...

So here is my $0.02.

The VFC HK416c buffer tube threads are not milspec pre-2015 and I'm not even sure VFC has re-released a 2015 version of the 416c.  However, the WE 416c buffer tube is milspec and will drop in a WA lower with no issues.  The VFC recoil assembly doesn't work nearly as good as the WE 416c recoil assembly.  Outer barrel will be a problem b/c of the way it attaches to the upper and I am no aware of WE to WA adapter (there is one going WA to WE though).  Barrel nut will be fine as WE uppers are milspec threading.  The VFC gas block and gas piston assembly are very nice and the WE is very generic.  VFC pistol grip will fit on a the IA with no issues.

Really the only thing to worry about is the outer barrel...

Archived