Military clothing for skiing? (M90, AOR2...)

chas

So Ive taken up skiing again after a couple of years of absence due to injuries and I nees new technical clothing.

Has anyone had experiences with the gear the military uses for their mountain unit? Especially Swedish M90 (the straight one, not the round one)? Where could I buy a set (pants&jacket) of it?

Another pattern I love is AOR2. Ive seen long warm coats, but they look uncumbersome for sports.

Cheers!

Downhill or cross-country?

Being AOR2 is jungle camo a ski-suit will probably be a bit of a grail quest.

I'd look at Patagonia/North Face/Arcteryx. Arcteryx LEAF is pretty easy to find and they have a good run of cold weather gear.

-I have seen many-many guys in France and Italy using camo clothing while skiing, even seen many italian soldiers learning how to ski at small St. Bernard pass (La Rosiere-La Thuile) on the public skitrack... Even camo ski clothes were trendy about five years ago.

-Also long parkas were trendy in freeskiing (you can see some pink ones on Jon Olsson or Tanner Hall; but in about ten year old films), they look really idiot.

-I would avoid full snow camo because of safety reasons. (foggy-snowy weather... etc.)

-Arktis have nice snow camo parkas. Sadly no idea how you can buy them, and how waterproof they are. I saw them of Facebook... They have swedish camo too (or norwegian????). Update: I found home page, but thoose camos look not soo super; I think I have seen prototype patterns... :(

Related question: do anybody have an idea where to buy non lined black two finger arctic gore tex or leather gloves??? I find only MTP, DPM or OD... and white leather ones. When no powder, no freeriding; windstopper knitted 'five fingers' are fully enough even in march, even I'm skiing for 25 years and on the track fall only once/skitrip; but my middle fingers get frozen on lifts because of wind, even lined five fingers not enough. Plan: when needed I pick my 'two fingers' from pocket and put on 'five figers' knitted.

Related question: do anybody have an idea where to buy non lined black two finger arctic gore tex or leather gloves??? I find only MTP, DPM or OD... and white leather ones. When no powder, no freeriding; windstopper knitted 'five fingers' are fully enough even in march, even I'm skiing for 25 years and on the track fall only once/skitrip; but my middle fingers get frozen on lifts because of wind, even lined five fingers not enough. Plan: when needed I pick my 'two fingers' from pocket and put on 'five figers' knitted.

Try searching for leather "lobster" gloves.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember that skiing gear is designed to be waterproof even when covered in snow. If you fall over and KO yourself, laying there in the snow will melt it through your body heat. Water is much better at transferring heat than snow is, so the liquid water could cause you to freeze to death in your KO state.

Extreme circumstances I know, but it's potentially something that could kill you. The situation demonstrates the faults rather than what will happen in a sense.

Archived