Multicam what brand is best?

Norsk22771

Go evil bay and look for army combat pants, these are basically cheap version of CP combat pants (~ $100) but very well built, almost all features of CP combat pants are there except the elastic part for what I care, some seller may include the knee pads at a little bit higher price.

That would probably leave you enough budget for "proper" CP combat shirt, which will be like 2 hundred something dollars.

The above plus shipping cost from 2 different sellers could be <400.

Which sort of dollars are we talking?  Because some of the posts here leave me a tad confused and I feel like I might be missing something.

Go evil bay and look for army combat pants, these are basically cheap version of CP combat pants (~ $100) but very well built, almost all features of CP combat pants are there except the elastic part for what I care, some seller may include the knee pads at a little bit higher price.

That would probably leave you enough budget for "proper" CP combat shirt, which will be like 2 hundred something dollars.

The above plus shipping cost from 2 different sellers could be <400.

The ACPs are definitely a decent suggestion, but CP G3 shirts aren't more than 200 USD, unless you're talking about buying from a European store and converting?  They retail from CP for $156 so paying any more than that on ebay would obviously be a bad move.

Also with the ACPs, they're really not that much like G3 trousers if you really get in to.  They're basically an ACU with kneepad pockets attached and there's actually quite a few things the G3s have that the ACPs don't.  'Well built' isn't exactly a guarantee either with US issue kit either, I mean it's generally pretty good but when so much of it is made by prisoners you're never 100% guaranteed.

If you can find them, I have a pair of Platatac Tax Dax MkII. Basically the same features as a Crye pair of trousers, at a fraction of the cost. Australian made, quality stuff. Not in production anymore so might be hard to find. 

Probably not going to happen at this point unfortunately, they've been discontinued for years now and Plat-A-Tacs new model that they've brought in doesn't allow for Crye kneepad fitment.  Though the option they've brought in as a replacement does look nice.

Patagonia

The OP specifically stated that Crye is too expensive for him.  I don't think suggesting a generally more expensive brand that's usually less available/harder to find is going to help.

Norsk - If possible I'd look for something other than the US issued FR combat shirt, they always smell weird, the velcro looks weird and more importantly the lack of a collar can be a serious annoyance.  Tru-Spec are usually decent and use real fabrics at good prices, quite a range of price levels too.  Similar story with 5.11 in my experience.  OPS/UR-Tac have been mostly good for me, but I've also had some fail significantly stitching wise through the simple act of kneeling down (and they were a proper fit).  Vertx is definitely one to look at as well, they're a bit higher end than Tru-Spec/Proper/5.11 etc but not as pricey as Crye or Arc'teryx.  Clawgear and Leo-Kohler probably go in to the same sort of category as Vertx but both are European brands and pretty commonly available on the continent, all good candidates with various design options, patterns and price points.

The combat shirt can be had on eBay for 124$, the pants can be had for under 200$.

Actual crye g3s can be had for 170-200$,

The shirts can be had 120-180$

Crye is cheaper than Patagonia but will suffer from the bad thread issue.

With crye you also have to make sure it's real as people take real crye tags and sew them on china stuff.

Still at his budget of 300-400$ (I'm hoping USD here) he can get real good gear at that price.

Crye is cheaper than Patagonia but will suffer from the bad thread issue.

Which is?  First time I've heard of it and none of the various CP items I've owned and used for the past 5-6 years have had any issues with the thread degrading or stitching coming apart.

Right... heard about what, exactly?  I've still no clue what it is you're referring to supposedly being so poor with Crye's stitching.  There are also a lot of ridiculous people on that board who'll flame others for being 'cheap' because they bought HSGI or TT.

Clearly, it isn't 'all over' the web, else a lot of people would be aware of it and would talk about it frequently.  Even if it were the case (I'm still to see a link/any evidence?) then the fact there were some runs does not make buying new Crye apparel a bad idea.  That's not the sort of mistake a company like CP makes on a repeated basis.

Literally the first URL that pops up in Google for "Crye Stitching Problem."

This was from a few years ago.

MM mentions issues with Gen 1 Crye Field Uniforms.

So yes, as expected, very much a long-past issue.

Speaking generally - Gen 1 stuff is antique by tactical gear standards.  If they still had any of those issues then everyone and his mum and his mum's cat would be screaming about it on every forum, blog comment and reddit sub section in existence "these $200 pants suck!".  So again, as expected, there's no 'risk' with the stitching if you buy CP.  I'd wager if you did have a problem their CS is probably pretty switched on to boot.

Only had it this winter, in which it kept me nice and warm with only a Arc'teryx Merinho wool baselayer upper and no baselayer lower and Clawgear ( now discontinued ) ammo vest.

Raider Mk.III Upper and Stalker Mk.III lower.

Last weekend I was in Gevet, France. 3°C, chilling continuous breeze.

So I imagine you'll choke in Summer, but I'm not certain.

Ps. Just searched the website and they no longer offer the normal uppers, only combat shirt.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a set of OPS Multicam shirt and pants (well, two shirts actually of different Gens) of which all appear to be bullet-proof after six+ years.

I have a Massif Multicam UBACs shirt which oozes ruggedness and is good quality.

I have a pair of 'Camogram' Helikon trousers - unworn as of yet - which seem worryingly thin.

I have acquired (it was cheap) an Invader Gear TDU shirt which seems to be more Helikon than OPS in quality. 

In terms of MOLLE, I have various bits and pieces by Eagle Industries, Condor, Tactical Tailor and Flyye; all of which has lasted a good long while without any noticeable damage.

I would suspect/expect that the big-hitting usual suspects of Crye Precision, 5.11, Patagonia, TAD Gear, Arc'teryx, OPS and also smaller companies like Level Peaks, Beyond Tactical, Wild Things and Clawgear will always be the most rugged/long lasting brands of Multicam gear.

I too have heard that UF PRO make excellent Multicam products.

I can +1 on UF PRO I have a pair of the striker xt pants and they are very comfortable and light. I've heard some people prefering them to G3 crye because of the different knee pad system and more features, plus the fact that they are half the price of crye in EU atleast.

Archived