Walther P38 - WE or Maruzen?

Imperator

Well, the pretty much says it all.

I'm looking to get a P38 pretty much since I started airsofting, back in 2006.
Having shot the real steel, I fell in love with the thing.
Back then, and until recently, the only serious choice was Maruzen, and they were hard to find.
Today, we have WE and the Maruzens are back through Umarex.

So, to the point!
Which one should I get? I'm interested in a skirmishable gun, not a wall-hanger/collector's piece.

Maruzen is plastic, but has trades. Heard that mags are leaky.
WE is metal, but no trades. No real feedback on them.

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

I like my WE P38's a lot. they shoot nice and accurate, and have a nice snappy kick to them. I havent had any leaks yet but i just assume it'll happen eventually.

Only problem i have had so far, is that the "firing pin" in the back had gotten a rough edge and got stuck, so the safety wouldnt work. I had to take it apart and buff out all the burrs. It works like new again after that.

On the other hand, on my former Maruzen P-38, the narrow valce striker chewed its way through its housing, and was irreparable. And after only a few hundred shots. Thats probably not the norm but it put me off of maruzen guns. The WE simplified that whole section so its impossible for that same issue to arise on their model.

So, My suggestion would be the WE if you actually want to use it in game. Its also quite a bit heavier so thats a plus as well.

Thanks for the input. Brigg!
I'm leaning towards the WE, and it does seem the better choice. Only thing is that I want it to be black, and those are all out-of-stock, at least as far I was able to look.
But stripping down a silver one, and painting it black, wouldn't be a issue...

Why not order one from a Hong Kong site? Unless the shipping cost is a major concern, of course.

Remember that WE had first released the "black metal" finish and those are now out of stock everywhere. But the painted black ones are in stock at most places. And they use WEs newer black paint which is pretty nice, very scratch resistant so far.

Plus real P38s were always painted anyway.

True!

My issue with buying out of Europe is not so much shipping, but customs... It's a pain over here, involving the police, and all, when it comes to airsoft guns. Places like France and the UK are pretty straight forward, and that could be an option, having friends over there, but directly to Portugal it's out of a questions.
Being painted is not an issue, but even those are out of stock over here.

I have the WE in both the black and silver (sent in error but learned to like it). I've had nothing but good luck with both pistols so far. Really smooth double action and the only double action airsoft pistol that I've found to have a slight trigger stop before the hammer is released in single action mode. I have not had any magazine issues and Brigg gave me a heads up on a way to get the maximum number shots out of a gas fill (thanks again). In my opinion the WE is the stonger build and its kind of funny that they have become one of my favorite shooters. It was also interesting on learning how to make quick magazine changes with that European mag release. Pretty good at it now.

I'm waiting for the P38K to show up here in the states as I've naturally got to do a UNCLE build (lol). I'm also waiting on someone here to start carrying the spare magazines. If they sell the pistol here, you would think the least they can do is carry spare magazines! But apparently not the case.

What about a good cerakote dark grey spray on the silver P38 and then let it wear naturally? I'm thinking of giving that a try as well.

Well, I guess I'll have to find a way to have it shipped from HK. France or the UK are the option for entry in Europe, and then send it via land mail. That way, it won't stop at the Customs.
I know how it sounds... Like it's some illegal busines, or smuggling ring :D It's just that Customs demands an expert assessment by the Police on all types or guns, real, repro or airsoft, and that assessment is paid in gold. It would litteraly put the replica in, say, twice it's price... bah

Archived