Back again after 8 years. Man things have changed.

reaper16

It definitely seems like arnies has a lot less traffic these days. I remember in High School I used to be on here all the time. Heck I don't even know who the good retailers and gun manufacturers are anymore. It seems as though G&G, ICS, and King Arms are just gone from the face of Earth and those were the big players in my day. I mean i still have the remnants of my King Arms m4. So if anyone doesnt care to shoot out some knowledge who are the good retailers and what the heck are the good AEG manufacturers these days ?

Then again im an adult with monies so im probably just gonna spring for fusion engines anyway since them seem alot more available these days. They were like lambos back when I played.

Anyway thanks for anything you guys can sorta catch me up on. The forums don't really tell me too much. Cheers from stateside boys.  

G&G are still around and probably bigger than ever!

You can't move for the amount of people suggesting G&G combat machines on the 'what am best gnu' threads for new starters.

ICS are still around & popular, King arms are less common from what I've seen, but still available.

The old big names like King Arms, Tokyo Marui, GnG and all of that type of thing are still around, but they cater for the 'serious' airsofters.

It used to be that we were all serious airsofters, but the sport has grown a heck of a lot in the last decade, particularly among the younguns. This has lead to the cheaper airsoft stuff exploding in popularity. WE pistols in particular, as well as chinese AEGs.

AEGs are still the mainstay of airsoft games, but GBBrs have come on leaps and bounds in terms of reliability and performance. There are still other options that I'm not as familiar with, we have a lot of options these days.

KA have definitely subsided a lot, ICS a bit, but G&G are probably churning out the most guns of anyone these days.  If you're in the US I'd imagine (from what I've seen) that the brand image thing is more down to the names that the american retailers are putting on things now.  I never really look on evike or ASGI, but when I do I don't really recognise the majority of the stuff on there.  The AEGs catering and supplied within the US market don't seem to be stocked outside the states much at all.

• 3 months later...

Is there anyway I can find a list of the OEM's for american branding? I'm really Looking at getting back into it

Curious about this as well.

I have an old Guarder AKM kit gun. From my research, those kits went from Guarder to, "Inokatsu" brand to,  LCT? And Inokatsu isn't in the AK game anymore?

I'm most likely wrong (please educate me if I am), however from what I've seen the LCT guns are a dead ringer for the old Guarder kit in terms of external fit & finish and the disassembly looks similar from the exploded diagrams I've seen. Then there's the budget line LCT guns that are marketed under another name which use the same externals but lower quality internals? 

And GHK is associated with Hephaestus which is, like GHK's premium line?

Then there are the D-boy line that look similar to the old VFC AKs but with a somewhat poor external finish compared to the old VFC guns, which IMO were the only brand of AKs that even came close to rivaling the Guarder kits back in the day. The main difference being a dark black semi-gloss external metal finish vs. the deep dark blue of the Guarder guns. IIRC VFC actually pinned their FSBs and gas blocks to the outer barrel where as the Guarder is held together with small hex screws that tend to rattle loose unless you use some kind of locktite and just about strip out the set screw.  At the time I thought the VFC guns were nicer, and had a few that I unfortunately sold when I exited the hobby.

NPOAEG have some interesting looking Combloc stuff that look like they came straight out of a Russian arms factory. Paint, and visible mill marks scream Molot to me. Going to have to get some of their stuff :D

CYMA's stuff looks passable, but like many of you guys I still associate CYMA with the cheap carnival spring guns. Though, the PP19 package on WGC with the PBS-1 and Kobra is speaking to me.

The Real Sword guns are extremely impressive too. I'd love to know why they dropped off the face of the Earth because it's a crying shame. I'd love to have a T-56 spiker.

I left a couple years before you did, googled Polar Star and I'm thinking that's the direction I'm going to take my old gun. It's been in storage for a long time and the gearbox is flat seized up with old grease and what looks like rust. If I can get the gun apart and mechbox out I'll throw up some pictures of what a mechbox looks like internally after 10 years of neglect. 

I really want to get my hands on some of the new stuff. Airsoft has come a long way since we've been gone. The GBBR trend and the return of "quality" replicas is extremely refreshing to see.

Apologies for the rambling, just really excited to be back! :D

Yeah, really depends on what type of gun you're looking for. Seems to me that many of the manufacturers have gone towards specific systems. If you want an AK you should only really be looking at Cyma (on a budget), LCT, or E&L, for instance (and even E&L also has several "budget rebrands" that I can't even keep track of). For AR platforms there's more variety but I'd still say G&P, TM, or possibly VFC are the way to go, depending on specific model.

You'll find a lot more variety in terms of models being offered, especially if you're into rarer or older weapons or heavy weapons, which is a nice thing!

I stopped in 2010 and just got back into it thanks to some friends. All my old gear was shot so i ended up getting an Ares Amoeba (in glorious two tone blue) while i was getting back on the UKARA list. I vaguely remember Ares making guns for another company back then. 

The choice you have nowadays is amazing, but the biggest wall i am hitting is that no retailers seem to have any stock? I used to mock Z1 (calling them zero-stock airsoft) way back then but it never seemed this bad. 

ebairsoft/RSOV still the way to go?

Ares making for Star I think. Long time ago...

How about you try Redwolf-UK? Or Fire-Support. Just 2 out of the top of my head.

I'll look at RedwolfUK now (i did not know they had a UK site) and i am uh, not a fan of Fire-support shall we say.

Archived