Semi-transparent magazines - anyone interested?

swatti

"I know the voices in my head aren't real but they have really good ideas..."

I wanted those semi see-thru Tmags but all sold out and discontinued.

Then my inner capitalist piggy woke up, there's a market for this stuff!

Recently I've learned to 3D model stuff with Solidworks and I'm getting pretty good at it too.

Now, I've made the best M4 magazine in the world! *hic*

Basic concept is being a see-thru like Tmags and single-row for perfect feeding. As market demands, an extra lap gives the magazine more capacity.

The whole magazine can be fieldstripped by removing two pins.

The heavy-rubber bottom plate is designed to take drops and accept magpuls via cutouts or its own loop.

The spring-quide can be removed by hand for easy cleaning.

Even the little nub holding the BBs in has a bit bigger button, because: nicer

I've mapped out makers for an alu-mold to make couple thousand units, then move into more expensive steel molds.

Currently waiting if I can get starter-cash from local county or so.

I've already got a local maker for some high-quality springs that won't wear out anytime soon.

Quality and reliability are top priorities.

Bottom-plate with an integrated loop is in the works.

Few other models too, AK, MP5, G36, M14, etc...

Midcaps are also planned, will need testing.

Adding more laps to the single-row is being tested already.

Several "shades" or colors will be offered: black, OD and tan.

Also mapping out retailers willing to sell these and so far I've had a warm welcome. If anyone has contacts, feel free to drop me pm.

Two questions remain:

One: What features would you like to see in the magazine? It's all open for ideas.

Two: Would you buy these? I'm hoping these are yours for sub 15 bucks.

Im hoping to get these into production within the next couple of months if all goes well.

Current plan is to 3d print a prototype, make corrections to the model based on that proto, then re-proto and test it.

If all goes well, optimize the model for molds and get them made. Once the molds are done, perfect the transparency and colors, then mass-produce these.

"Designed by a fat nerd from Finland in his mom's basement"

Pics in Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q2hbzvrwivfymey/AAD6FHV2Oi-Bcv4wkd9LG8Xya?dl=0

If you are thinking about M14 mags, I think Sr25 (A&K, G&G, G&P...compatible) have a good market waiting for someone to make affordable light mags which do not weight a fruitcaging ton, like the A&K ones.

I would be very interested on these Sr25 mags, much more if they were 30 rounds type like the new Magpul ones. If I can suggest something, I think the final product should have a slight curve, like Pmags or Dytac invader ones

tomc-air-frame-helmet-replica-008.jpg

Id be chuffed to buy nice single stack mags. I was just trying to find an option for a single stacker with as high a capacity as possible.

Features to think about:

Compatibility with ERGs with the bolt cutoff feature?

Honestly, you've got the features covered for a transparent single stack mag.

SR25 mags could happen. Should be easy to use same innards as M14 etc mag.

I have some ideas about increasing the capacity on single-rows. I'l need some testing before i can say more. It will be after this "first series" of M4 mags. R&D needs $$$. 

The very first design was slightly curved, then i noticed how much my skills at SolidWorks were lacking so i went the easy way and made it straight. The first series will be straight. It is kinda unique and looks pretty neat so it stuck. Maybe one day i'l re-do the M4 mag and make it curved... Maybe.

ERG cut-off would need LOTS of extra components and expensive molds. Each mold is few thousand a pop and i intend on making profit from these. Not sure if the market is big enough. If there was a 3D printing company able to do large'ish run with a nice price i could do a "market test" using as much as possible existing parts. Wont say no, but first series wont have this feature.

• 3 weeks later...

I was trying to find mp5 standards and couldn't find anything at a good price. Either 60 for 5 50 rounders or 15 each.

So a good single stack 50 or so round mp5 mag would be cool if they aren't on the list yet. Straight is fine, but I would really like curved ones.

MP5 mags are on the list. I'm actually tempted to make em as second instead of AK mags.

Plenty of good AK mags out, very few good MP5 mags out.

They will be straight, simply because... Reasons.

Small update on M4 mag:

Sent models to God knows how many mold-makers, all gone radio-silent. Wont answer email or phone calls.

VERY odd. Obviously a bit worried here.

Didn't sit doing nothing tho. A simplified mid-cap variant modeled. Same looks and see-thru but assembled via screws.

Material thickness quite high, should be VERY sturdy.

Need to count but I'd say close to ir even above 200 rounds capacity.

Can't wait to do a goofy stress test video. Will have very unique final test.

Archived