ACM Leupold Carbine Optic (LCO)

renegadecow

Holding zero the most frequently asked question.  If you have GBB it may hold zero, but on real steel it did not.  I've seen some people say that it does, but in my testing it did not.

Feel free to move over the thread I opened regarding the SRS Style red dot so that we stay on topic: http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/216443-trijicon-srs-replica-red-dot/

I will be posting my review of the Leupold LCO style red dot here, within this thread, later this week.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In case some of you are trying to figure out how to put a lens protector on the LCO, here's one way. Simply cut out a piece of ballistic polycarbonate sheet to the outline of the optic housing and attach with 2 strips of foam tape (I recommend 3M VHB) on the housing, NOT the lens.

13718497_10155014307270744_8690444307699

Because no, the lens isn't bb proof. This poor guy thought it was and ended up breaking it the very first time using it.

13754514_10206313921956317_2278564412981

I learned the hard way that even real eotechs aren't bb proof... you'd think some Airsoft clone should start making their replicas with polycarbonate lens instead of glass, guess the reflective coating might only work on glass.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Looking at the real steel, the serial number is also on the bottom...right?

Should be, but maybe first batch was with serial on a side. Look picture on Leupold site or in their video. Leupold is so busy making money, so they can't re-take a picture.

Look for video reviews on your tube for actual product. I recommend unboxing videos.

Should be, but maybe first batch was with serial on a side. 

Look for video reviews on your tube for actual product. I recommend unboxing videos.

Found only ONE unboxing on YouTube: 

No serial on side.  The one he is holding looks exactly like the one in my hands, right now.

Even looking at Leupold's video at the :20 mark...again, no serial on side:

There's a very slight difference with the adjustment knobs.

That's it?!  Wow.  I'm not sure I see a difference.  In the two videos above, both adjustment knobs have a matte black finish with a slotted adjustment.  How is the fake any different?

I see these for sale second hand all over the place.  How would I know, besides buying new, if I purchased a $50 fake for $800?!

Yes, the real ones do have an auto-on, but purchasing online and not in person doesn't allow for a function check like that.  Retailers don't normally carry these, so 99% of people are buying these online.

Here are the photos of my replica.  I cannot tell any difference in the adjustment knobs.

ilZwvqXm.jpgMmSrEilm.jpgEM7qY5Fm.jpgAH9qJ0Cm.jpgNvsnd42m.jpg

I'm not sure I see a difference. In the two videos above... How is the fake any different?

Your are see, but don't notice it. Replica aslo have got red/orange o-ring on battery cover. Violet color back glass, mirror front glass.

How would I know, besides buying new, if I purchased a $50 fake for $800?!

If your are buying from Leupold - you are good, if you are buying from China - you are good. If your buying from someone else - you may get problem. And it's your problem only. You know how powerful china now and how fast they copy... Everything.

Speaking of "everything" - do your people see Trijicon MRO replica? Ask your chianese friend Ali. :)

Here are the photos of my replica. I cannot tell any difference in the adjustment knobs.

Replica that you got is updated. First batch d don' have black colored adjuster knob. Maybe missed it, maybe was out of black color...

Your are see, but don't notice it. Replica aslo have got red/orange o-ring on battery cover. Violet color back glass, mirror front glass.

If your are buying from Leupold - you are good, if you are buying from China - you are good. If your buying from someone else - you may get problem. And it's your problem only. You know how powerful china now and how fast they copy... Everything.

Speaking of "everything" - do your people see Trijicon MRO replica? Ask your chianese friend Ali. :)

My replica doesn't have red/orange o-ring on battery cover (see photos).  In the unboxing video I posted, it looks like the real ones have an orange/red coating on the objective lens and the fake one is mirrored.

Also, if I buy a fake from someone claiming it's real, it is their problem.  It's called fraud (basically theft) and if it's over $500, it's a felony.

Yes, I've seen the Trijicon MRO replica, but right now they are only being sold with a giant triangular adjustment screw which in no way looks like the real steal version.

Yes!!  Now I see the ring you're referring to.  Thank you.  Between that and the coating on the objective lens, I should be able to tell the difference between a fake and the real thing.

Real:

ZVmOrWAl.jpg

Replica:

iqN1ImFl.jpg

Funny thing...again...in the unboxing video (pause at 4:16 for best look), the adjustment knobs don't have the ring you're referring to either.

Due to the changes generation to generation it may not be possible to tell a difference between the real and fake without having it your hands for the accelerometer test.

My replica doesn't have red/orange o-ring on battery cover (see photos).  In the unboxing video I posted, it looks like the real ones have an orange/red coating on the objective lens and the fake one is mirrored.

Also, if I buy a fake from someone claiming it's real, it is their problem.  It's called fraud (basically theft) and if it's over $500, it's a felony.

Yes, I've seen the Trijicon MRO replica, but right now they are only being sold with a giant triangular adjustment screw which in no way looks like the real steal version.

Sorry if this going kind of OT quite a bit too much, bit I decide to participate some more :P

Saw MRO replica in friendly store and had a look.

- Decent external quality, embossed AND laser'd markings seemed authentic to me, "proper" (-) shaped adjustment heads but they have some funny metal finish.

- Switch functions like real thing: OFF  n  N 1 2 OFF 3 4 5 6

- Red-only, daylight bright dot, kinda crisp and nice round shaped. Not sure about dot size, but looks on the bigger side and it felt like 6 to 8-ish MOA.

- Cone shaped body did the job: Very nice sight picture, I would say it looked better than the SRS, you can't really see the inner surface of the tube during actual use.

Then I did some parallax test by looking thru the sight to see it there was any object where the dot would "snap" at certain distance.

Outside the store across the road, mid-20-ish meters: nope

Pavement just outside the door, ~10 meters: nope

Display case inside the store, eh, like 3 meters: nope, but it felt "better"

I was then confused as hell and looked at the shop keeper, <1 meter: Spot on!

What the fruitcage?

My bad, I should state my test procedure.

1. Place sight on some stable surface, e.g. tabletop.
  2. Look through the optic and align the dot with some object.
  3. Move abound my head so the dot "moves" across the FOV of the sight.
  4. Observe the relative position of the dot and said object.

The whole thing is to find the position of the reflected virtual image of dot, or "parallax-free" (BTW, no such thing is parallax-free!) distance of the sight, so in a perfect world with a perfect optic you will see the dot "snaps" (or I should say stays) on the target if the distance is "right" even you move your head around.

In general, I would think a sight is decent if that distance in a usable range, let's say 20-30 meters for skirmish, or as close as 10 if it's used on a race pistol.

Most RS sights have their distances set on or beyond 100 meters or yards, not exactly beneficial for airsoft use but, okay. When you use sights with really short "distances", say, 3 meters, to engage targets out to 30 meters, I bet you will see some accuracy problems.

Besides, no optic is perfect, as compromise I tend to care about windage performance more than elevation, as I have to hold over the targets most of the time anyway.

This vid talks about the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU_w3iNs_kQ

Now imagine the dot is between the target and your eye.

Or for the LCO case, your rifle has a 3 meter long barrel, a front sight on the tip of the barrel but no rear sight.

For the MRO, same rifle with a 27" barrel.

Archived