GHK AUG First Impressions

So it seems Im one of the first to get the new GHK baby so I figured I give a small review/impression.

1. Packaging

I usually don't bother with it however the packaging wasn't the best. The gun was clearly rocking back and forth in its case, there were small foam pieces everywhere.

f9fw47.jpg

But the worst part was that the flash hider was damaged:

2qmdt8h.jpg

Thankfuly nothing else was damaged but Samoon should put something in the front part to prevent anything similar in the future. The gun and the magazine comes with the usual GHK stuff: speed loader, silicone oil, spare o-rings and pencils. :P

2. The gun

It is very light especially compared to the Hephaestus T21. It also felt more natural to hold and aim.

Besides the sling swivels there is nothing to rattle when you shake the gun. Both the metal and polymer parts are well made.

The folding grip has a small movement but it is acceptable.

1zxmd7k.jpg

The selector switch needs some getting used to as I put it multiple times in a position where it was in neither mode. It is a bit hard to move at first you might over push it.

The sight is I belive a 2x scope(it feels stronger than a 1.5x for me), it was not on target for me so you will probably need to adjust it.

3. Disassembly

If you have watched one of the videos then you know it's pretty easy to take the gun apart, in fact to adjust the hop up you need to take the entire barrel assembly out:

1. Take out the mag 2. Lock the gun back 3. Push the small lever down 4. Rotate then pull the barrel out.

It can be done pretty fast once you know it how to but can still be a PITA when you are adjusting the hop-up.

The manual tells you about most thing tough sometimes it's just refers to one of the youtube videos.

28a5ks2.jpg

4. The magazine

For those who were looking forward to convert their M4 magazines with a few extra parts into AUG ones I have bad news. It has it own design.

2lt57va.jpg

When taking it apart you need to slide the bottom part off first but watch out as it also holds the magazine spring. To push the inside part out you need to pull the small tab on the right side of the magazine away.

1znq2as.jpg

While the magazine looks like a regular gas magazine it still has the tubes that GHK mags are known for, just this time they are inside a block. No idea how well it would take a CO2 conversion.

2uhpmae.jpg

Compared to the GHK AK or M4 magazines the AUG is much more lighter: only 409g!(with a small amount of gas in it)

Inserting the magazine isn't as easy at first. You need to give a good hit after you put it inside to lock it in, once it's in there is absolutly no movement. When you are removing it you can simply push the mag catch button and it stays like that till you take the mag out.

5. Shooting

So there was a small problem at first. After shooting around 7 rounds and switched to full auto, I pulled the trigger and nothing happened. The hammer would not drop no matter what. So I took the trigger group out and noticed that the hammer had no tension. The problem was this:

2qk6lxx.jpg

The hammer spring somehow came off. Fortunately it was easy to put it back but I noticed that the spring was pretty weak compared to the other GHK guns. However it does work but Im not so sure it would with CO2.

Back to shooting: altough I don't have a lot of space at the moment the shooting was satisfying. The recoil is good(better than the T21 on CO2) especially on full-auto and shots were pretty accurate.

However it is not skirmish friendly out of the box:

2por329.jpg

This is with hop-up on.

And that is it for this time. Will probably won't be able to skirmish it this month as I need more mags and a lower FPS. Also I want a 16" kit with a top rail. :P

If you have questions I try to answer them.

• Like 3
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So it seems Im one of the first to get the new GHK baby so I figured I give a small review/impression.   1. Packaging   I usually don't bother with it however the packaging wasn't the best. The gu

Depends on your definition of disappointment.    First GHK AK (one that had a AEG style hop unit) was so bad it wasn't worth the effort to fix.  I would say that would be a major disappointment  

It's typical airsoft, it's relatively low batch production to begin with and we're dealing with mechanical parts that don't have the most stringent tolerances all trying to work together, every now an

Nice work! How heavy are the magazines? 

As I mentioned above it is very light, my scale showed only 409g with a small amount of gas in it.

After trying to load with BBs a few times I can say that the spring is way too stiff. After around 16-18 BBs I could not load anymore with the added speedloader.

Remember how I said that you need to hit the magazine to fully seat in the magwell? Well don't do it:

14y5slh.jpg

I noticed that I could not get the mag out after the mag release button and when it finally came out that small part fell out. It's part of the magazine shell right in front of the feed lip. The front mag catch part also broke altough not entirely at first. Both places are pretty thin so if you are inserting a magazine and it doesn't click just keep pushing, don't hit it.

By the way even with those part broken off the magazine catches inside the magwell perfectly, no movement at all.

Depends on your definition of disappointment. 

First GHK AK (one that had a AEG style hop unit) was so bad it wasn't worth the effort to fix.  I would say that would be a major disappointment

GHK Aks currently are nice only after some steel bits, and a VSR hop.  My gripe is that it is too lightweight for my liking, being 1kg lighter than the real steel, a minor disappointment.

G5s are great, again requiring a VSR hop, again, lightweight but since it doesn't exist the gun had no expectations.

M4 are ok weight wise, but not at all durable.  their "steel" is sintered and wears in no time.  WE's and VFC's steel inserts on pot metal lasts a lot longer.  Thats a disappointment but only a minor one.

If would be a worry if the Steyr AUG was much too light, or disintegrates after a few rounds...that would be a major disappointment

• Like 2

First GHK AK (one that had a AEG style hop unit) was so bad it wasn't worth the effort to fix.  I would say that would be a major disappointment

GHK Aks currently are nice only after some steel bits, and a VSR hop.  My gripe is that it is too lightweight for my liking, being 1kg lighter than the real steel, a minor disappointment.

G5s are great, again requiring a VSR hop, again, lightweight but since it doesn't exist the gun had no expectations.

M4 are ok weight wise, but not at all durable.  their "steel" is sintered and wears in no time.  WE's and VFC's steel inserts on pot metal lasts a lot longer.  Thats a disappointment but only a minor one.

If would be a worry if the Steyr AUG was much too light, or disintegrates after a few rounds...that would be a major disappointment

I don't agree with the majority of that opinion but that is OK...except the AUG info as I have yet to touch mine...

I've also received my AUG and I must say Im impressed.

Solid build throughout, unlike Zereck my forward grip has zero movement at all.
I also had no damage at all to my gun.

Mag are indeed VERY tight in the magwell and require a firm push to lock, however this was getting a little easier with reloads.
Probably just needs a bit of break in time, till then just dont hit it.

Unfortunately I cant range or accuracy test anymore as I've moved home and dont have much of a garden any more.
It does use the standard GHK rubber though which is OK in my opinion, nothing stellar though.
Would love to know how to do this VSR mod.

Roll on spare mags, A3 front end and 1J nozzle!

EDIT:

Forgot to add, it does need a good lubing. The bolt occasionally wouldnt come forward with a fresh mag without racking the handle somewhat hard. So HK style reloads are out for now.

I actually like how you have to adjust the hop, it gives you better control than sticking your finger or a tool in the ejection port. Sure it will take more time but personally I dont mind.

Edited by Reppyboyo
  • Like 1

What are you talking about with the M4? The steel parts last forever mate. I haven't changed mine since i got them in august 2014 and have never heard anyone ahving trouble with the internals?

What experience do you base this opinion on?

It's typical airsoft, it's relatively low batch production to begin with and we're dealing with mechanical parts that don't have the most stringent tolerances all trying to work together, every now and then, someone would get a perfect cocktail of lemon parts that just gives them a huge nightmare, and since most people don't buy multiple gun of the same model, it's not exactly the best sample size to speak for a gun's system. So while I believe him, I think he just happens to be the unlucky ones, as I own 6 GHK GBBRs and they're all fine... I think either I've been super lucky, or it's evidently a pretty reliable system. 

• Like 2

It's typical airsoft, it's relatively low batch production to begin with and we're dealing with mechanical parts that don't have the most stringent tolerances all trying to work together, every now and then, someone would get a perfect cocktail of lemon parts that just gives them a huge nightmare, and since most people don't buy multiple gun of the same model, it's not exactly the best sample size to speak for a gun's system. So while I believe him, I think he just happens to be the unlucky ones, as I own 6 GHK GBBRs and they're all fine... I think either I've been super lucky, or it's evidently a pretty reliable system. 

Very well said.  I feel victim to this exact issue when I bought a WE ACR.  Mine was a complete lemon while others were experiencing zero issues.  I have 11 GHK's (yes, I know...too many) and aside from minor issues that I expect from all GBBR's, they have run and held up very well.

Yes perhaps my sample is a bit skewed. 

I teach techs.  I have many techs who provide me feedback on whats not and whats hot as they see a lot of issues at the stores, and the present to me the cases they cannot fix. To keep myself updated I also buy guns and test/thrash them.

It does mean I see a lot of problem cases, but I never really hear of ones without any issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the charging handle have the forward assist function replicated? I believe on the real steel you'd pull it back a but, fold it up, and push forward. And yes I do use the forward assist on my GBB ARs quite often. Under certain circumstances I would ride the bolt carrier forward with the charging handle and more often than not the recoil spring pressure isn't sufficient in stripping the bb off the feed lips. 

Capt Calvin:  I had similar issues on my AR15 SBR where recoil spring couldn't strip rounds from the mag.  However upon inspection the reason is nothing to do with the spring tension, it is that the recessed rim of the 556 is being caught on the folds on the mag lip, with some magazines having more of this issue than the other.  Magpul mags have no issues as it is not stamped aluminium, while colt mags have mild catching issues, and the worst is the Brownell mags.  Check this issue first, mix with a grinding bit on a dremel, and if that is not the issue, then replace the recoil springs.

Edited by 3vi1-D4n

Yeah I wasn't really talking about real AR15's though. Never really found myself in a situation where I want to operate an AR15 quietly and it strip rounds with no issues if I just let the bolt fly home. With my GBB I do find myself in these situations quite often and it does have a much weaker recoil spring. Letting the bolt fly there's no issues. Riding it down though it will get caught at the mag lips. I don't see it as an issue at all. It's one of the reasons why the forward assist is there anyway.

Edited by CaptCalvin

Does the charging handle have the forward assist function replicated? I believe on the real steel you'd pull it back a but, fold it up, and push forward. And yes I do use the forward assist on my GBB ARs quite often. Under certain circumstances I would ride the bolt carrier forward with the charging handle and more often than not the recoil spring pressure isn't sufficient in stripping the bb off the feed lips. 

I'm not 100% how it should work but if I lock the bolt back by flipping the charging handle up when all the way back, I can't push forward.  Is that the way the forward assist works on the real AUG?