GHK AUG First Impressions

I'm not 100% how it should work but if I lock the bolt back by flipping the charging handle up when all the way back, I can't push forward.  Is that the way the forward assist works on the real AUG?

That's just to hold the bolt open like MP5s do for the "HK slap". To use forward assist (if GHK replicated it), pull back on the charging handle by about an inch. Then push the charging handle towards the receiver like you would when locking it all the way back. It should cause the rod to engage the bolt and push forward to fully seat. On the real thing you get an audible "click" when the lugs lock up, for airsoft you'll just have to verify visually.

• Like 1
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So it seems Im one of the first to get the new GHK baby so I figured I give a small review/impression.   1. Packaging   I usually don't bother with it however the packaging wasn't the best. The gu

Depends on your definition of disappointment.    First GHK AK (one that had a AEG style hop unit) was so bad it wasn't worth the effort to fix.  I would say that would be a major disappointment  

It's typical airsoft, it's relatively low batch production to begin with and we're dealing with mechanical parts that don't have the most stringent tolerances all trying to work together, every now an

That's just to hold the bolt open like MP5s do for the "HK slap". To use forward assist (if GHK replicated it), pull back on the charging handle by about an inch. Then push the charging handle towards the receiver like you would when locking it all the way back. It should cause the rod to engage the bolt and push forward to fully seat. On the real thing you get an audible "click" when the lugs lock up, for airsoft you'll just have to verify visually.

Excellent!  I will try it tonight...

I'm not 100% how it should work but if I lock the bolt back by flipping the charging handle up when all the way back, I can't push forward.  Is that the way the forward assist works on the real AUG?

On the real deal, there is a button that is built onto the A1/A2 cocking handles, whereby if you push hard forward onto the button/cocking handle it will act as a forward assist.

On the A3 and the GHK there is no button on the cocking handle hence no real forward assist.

TBH I have never used the forward assist on the Steyr AUG.  Most stoppages are stovepipes.

• Like 1

On the real deal, there is a button that is built onto the A1/A2 cocking handles, whereby if you push hard forward onto the button/cocking handle it will act as a forward assist.

On the A3 and the GHK there is no button on the cocking handle hence no real forward assist.

TBH I have never used the forward assist on the Steyr AUG.  Most stoppages are stovepipes.

I never use the forward assist on my AR15's either.  There is usually a bad reason why a round doesn't load so I skip the tap and jump right to the rack to eject the bad round...

• 3 weeks later...

Had my first skirmish with this yesterday and had a tonne of fun.
Good accuracy and range with .30's, a loud and distinctive sound if you are on the wrong end.

Only issue I had was my mags kept jamming, though I put this down to my BB's.

Had another smirkisher there with an AUG who had no such problems.

Had my first skirmish with this yesterday and had a tonne of fun.

Good accuracy and range with .30's, a loud and distinctive sound if you are on the wrong end.

Only issue I had was my mags kept jamming, though I put this down to my BB's.

Had another smirkisher there with an AUG who had no such problems.

That Sounds good Edited by Grosssmeister
  • 1 month later...

I tried DH 0/1 modding an AUG magazine today. I used a KJW M9 inlet valve and a GHK AK CO2 output valve and telfoned the bottom caps. There are 2 more screws on the back side of the magazine which I also tefloned. I was partly successful.

The magazine holds CO2 without problem, I was afraid that the hammer spring might be too weak to release the gas but it wasn't a problem afterall. The gun had much better recoil and was much louder.

However there is one big problem: out of every 5 shots 3 would only have an FPS of 80 compared to the 500 with the normal nozzle. This was also visible when shooting: the BBs just fell instantly with no hop-up when the low FPS occured.

I did notice that the CO2 output valve is about 1mm shorter, that might be the problem(or the hammer spring not strong enough afterall?).

Edit: after further FPS testing it seems it might be working correctly afterall. I noticed that with CO2 the BBs when fed into the hop-up chamber would go over the hop-up mound and result in falling BBs. The hop-up settings where good on green gas originally but now that I raised it to the max the FPS was stable. I'll see if the hop-up is good too tomorrow.

Edited by Zereck
  • Like 2

So I tested it again today. The first shots still fall too soon but after 5-7 shots it stabilized somewhat. I chronod it again and it seems the FPS just isn't stable enough. First shots started with 500 FPS(0.3 normal nozzle) but after 10-15 shots it was already at 400 and at the end it was around 350. Not sure that it's due to the magazine design or the shorter output valve the cause but I can't do anything more at the moment.

It sounds like you may be over filling the magazine with gas 

I have filled the mag for about 2 seconds and no change so no.

But it seems the problem was the nozzle, it just couldn't handle the CO2. After trying it on green again with the low power nozzle I got 2J shots with every second shot being 1.5J for a while then stabilizing on 2J. When I tested the low power nozzle before the CO2 experiment it was doing around 1J. I also noticed that when it shot 1.5J the recoil was normal but on 2J it was weak. I looked inside the nozzle and noticed that the rocket valve moved out of its place, so I probably busted the nozzle with the experiment.

Strange tough that the AUG nozzle isn't as strong as the AK or M4, I guess they didn't want it to handle anything much stronger than green gas.

• 4 weeks later...

Uhh what was GHK thinking when they made the front rail? The top rail is fine but this is pretty bad. First of all it stops you from taking the barrel out quickly and with that to adjust the hop up easily, instead now you have to remove a screw(which isn't very bad, I had the Heph Tar and I had to remove 2 screws just to get to the hop-up) and then remove a pin that is held by an E-clip. After that you can remove the front hand guard and can finally take out the barrel. You might say to just adjust the hop-up before playing, but I almost always have to readjust the hop at least once a game so the whole thing just is just a PITA.

Oh but even worse it doesn't align well on the gun. Not with the top rail and not with barrel even tough it is held by two points solidly.

Doesn't worth the 40$ imo. Blergh. :wacko:

I fiddled a bit with the front hand guard today and got a few positives. The alignment can be fixed but you have to look down on the rail while doing it. I noticed that once the screw is in the E-clip is not necesseary on the pin anymore, it will hold, so that makes it taking out the barrel a bit easier.

However take caution when you install a new inner barrel. The barrel clamp might not hold the barrel as I have experienced with a A+ one. It seemed allright after installing, but after a few shots I noticed my hop-up nub jumping out and the entire hop-up chamber almost left the barrel. I could pull the hop-up chamber off of the barrel while the clamp was on with a little force.