review: CM laser bore sighter

Laser bore sighter

Something else this time  :)

I purchased this laser bore sighter at Airsoftpeak, seemed to be a useful , and handy tool to adjust Airsoft replica's. 

In the RS world this bore sighters are already more common,  this tool makes you able to zero the scope without actually shooting the gun, you just project the laserdot on a special target, with the help of calculators you also can make settings for longer distances, this way the zeroing wil be pretty accurate ( on condition that your rifle barrel is OK of coarse :D )

So i was thinking,  that such a laser callibrator, could be even more useful to adjust Airsoft replica's because here we also have to deal with the hop- up adjustment, who's responsible for the acuracy of the replica !

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

The Laser bore sighter itself

So i purchased this laser bore callibrator set at Airsoftpeak for $ 14.07 only .

The set comes complete with 3 button cell battery's, screwdriver, allen key, 7 different barrel insert's, battery carrier, annex switch, and the laser calibrator itself.

The laser calibrator, and battery holder itself are made out of anodized aluminium.

Al the parts are fitted into a decent plastic box, with foam compartiment's, wich besides might be glued to the bottom of the box ! 

A manual,  and target is also not included !

dsn3re8.jpg

JtuzRgO.jpg

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

The battery case annex on off switch

Is basic, but ingenious designed, de battery holder is nothing else but a little "bucket" witch can contain the 3 button cell batteries.

Then you need to place the holder into the calibrator, according to the position you turn the battery holder, a noth makes, or breaks the electrical contact.

Attention ! the "bucket" might be fall out out the calibrator , due to shock's !

2brOzWL.jpg

eNfFe8b.jpg

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

The laser calibrator

Once the battery holder is placed the laser can be activated, this i a relative "eye-safe" 5mw red laser, altough Wiki tells following :

Class III a

Lasers in this class are mostly dangerous in combination with optical instruments which change the beam diameter or power density, though even without optical instrument enhancement direct contact with the eye for over two minutes may cause serious damage to the retina. Output power does not exceed 5 mW. Beam power density may not exceed 2.5 mW/cm2 if the device is not labeled with a "caution" warning label, otherwise a "danger" warning label is required. Many laser sights forfirearms and laser pointers commonly used for presentations are in this category.

mluzow0.jpg

i0arhBx.jpg

Important to know, the laser bore calibrator is not calibrated, and this is not mentioned !

For that you need the supplied allen key, witch fit into the four allen screws, witch able's you to adjust the laser itself,  Now this sounds a lot more complicated as it actualy is ! so i made this little video witch is a lot more clarifying than writing down the whole procedure.

WACR42U.jpg

Now most amongst you, wil not have such a long lath available, so you can also slide the laser calibrator into the innerbarrel of the replica (replica fixed into vise ore similar) or into a piece of precise tubing (also fixed) Now by turning the calibrator 180° alternately, you can adjust the laser dot (projected on a target)

Replica calibrating 

Now the bore sighter is calibrated, its time to take the replica, the bore sighter should be slided into the innerbarrel's bore  as acurate possible !   

This is possible due to the supplied insert- set, in various dimensions ( so you can use the laser calibrator for other calibers to)

According to the stem Ø de minimum Ø measures 4.3 mm  

f2KCaph.jpg

puwHkgb.jpg

Attention, de smallest insert might be deburred, from mold seems, possible the screws can be to long, witch inflicts the can't be screwed deep enough into the stem, and the insert can't be opened enough !

WMhDYzh.jpg

The tapered end of the stem, when tightening the screw,  the insert wil be "forced" over the taper this way you can adjust the insert very acurate !

k6O4XzC.jpg

At least it should look like this 

qIoc7a8.jpg

To have a stable testing platform, and image

I made this two support's, witch easily can be mounted onto an ordinary Workmate, on the recuired distance.

The rear one besides is height adjustable, to make it able to level the replica.

nLvxFiZ.jpg

co6FdVv.jpg

URpr8JF.jpg

RVkq6YR.jpg

InwrbEK.jpg

Finally i fast pottered also a target-box together :)

OdCzz4o.jpg

DC33iCf.jpg

Then i placed the target- box 15 meters further, and lined the target up with the leveled replica,  and laser bore sighter.

y4O8176.jpg

Now when pulling the trigger, you see exactly where the BB's hit the target compared to the innerbarrels axis, in my case it appeared the BB's hit a few centimeters to the left ? (forgot to make a decent photo of it :(  ) 

Also i found that the reticle, of my Element EXPS-3, cant be adjusted low enough !

And also that the red laser dot of my Element LA-5 cant be set lower than a 15 cm above the zeroing point !

oU4TDjp.jpg

D9BMAj8.jpg

Because i want to dedicate this review to the laser bore calibrator at first place, i decide not to go in to the actual problems with the EXPS-3, and LA-5

In case you enlarge the distance between the bore sighter, and target (maybe to effective range) most likely you wil be able to adjust the hop-up unit very precise !

Once you are sure about the precision of the replica, you can use the laser bore sighter, to adjust scopes, and sight's without moving to the shooting range.

I dont know what you guys think about this tool , but i found it comes in handy pretty much !  :)

Pro's & Con's

+ Price                                                      - Laser not calibrated

+ Complete set for multiple Ø               - No manual, and target included  

+ Rigid alu build                                      - Finishing of the insert's

+ Very practical tool

+ Batteries included

+ free shipping with Airsoftpeak  :)

2.JPG.

Had one, quite useless unless you have a lot of free space indoors or you can try and use it by night, if not, you won't be calibrating anything past ten meters since the laser is weak as suitcase.

I ended up calibrating my optics by just shooting and guesstimating as I don't usually engage past 50m and at thhose distances bbs have not pin point accuracy unless you sink a lot of money on a BASR, which I don't

Had one, quite useless unless you have a lot of free space indoors or you can try and use it by night, if not, you won't be calibrating anything past ten meters since the laser is weak as suitcase.

Dont know wich one you had , but this laser is quite powerful enough i can say.

And in case its to bright outdoors, you can always build some shadow shelter.

Been using the same one for years. Though i never calibrated it, always spot on when shooting,

One best example is I shot a can of coke from a Marshals hand At 50m with one hit..even the marshal was impressed..

Problably yours was calibrated out of the box ?!