H&K G11 K2 aeg project - help needed, pics, info, anything

swatti

Sooooo... The usual, bored, and things just... Well, happen.

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13116213_1209153742458120_2666833028318234052_o.jpg

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13173243_1209153755791452_8539811341211505808_o.jpg

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13161757_1209153749124786_8985129902326415519_o.jpg

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

Well, VERY. Theres basicly no information what so ever on the G11. Theres tons of proto-models often mistaken for the real thing and often information-sites show a render of the gun instead of an actual picture.

Well. I thought i hit the jackpot. Theres a site that sells 3D models. There was a VERY convincing 3D model of a G11, even got the maker on the email. Gotta respect what he had done but there was issues. The model was a so-called "mesh-model" used mostly in video-games etc. For instance, it has "zero-thickness" walls where you cant see inside and the format was something i cant directly use... Turns out the site however can convert models into different formats. Well, i tried that and it turns out the site is run by some green-party hippies who refuce to do anything with "gun models" because evil... 

Well, a G11 is "just a box" so how hard can it be. Well, still, very. The model i was left with is kinda like a picture you cant edit. Its there, visible in 3D, you can spin it, etc but you can "attach" to corners, you can measure anything, etc.

Also the mesh-model had an issue. It was actually 24mm long. Jeah, tiny. For my luck, the ONLY actual measurement i know is that the gun is 750mm long. This information is "supposedly" from the maker itself. For my luck once more, the ONLY thing one can do to a mesh-model with SolidWorks is to scale it. I simply drew a line 750mm long and scaled the model into that size. Even that wasnt as easy as it sounds. The model doesnt have measurements, the software cant calculate how long it is, kinda odd to be honest. Took me good ~20min but i got the model into right size eventually.

Only thing left to do was simply "draw on top of the model" from the scratch. I dare say i've managed quite well. The gun being simple large shapes helps obviously but there was a LOT of places where i had to think "how did they draw this?" before i could create the shapes that fit.

While impressive, the mesh-model was waaay off-spec on some details. Pictures of the real gun shows the center-body widening towards the connection to the rear-body and then narrowing down again. No measurements for that exist to my knowledge so i had to take some creative freedom.

Difference between a "mesh-editor" and "solid-editor" is the fact that "meshes" are JUST models and solid-editors are used to create items that will one day be physical creations, or can be. I use SolidWorks, one of the best CAD programs nowdays. Anything you "draw" has to be made into a "solid" item or used to cut thru an existin solid body.

WITH TECHONOLOGY, WE CAN!

The model is still just a solid "block" but ive already measured it some and it can indeed fit a P90 (or similar) gearbox. P90 would be my choise for its regular parts, contender was the G&G/Army L85 gearbox for its long-stroke bore but it cannot be fired in high rate-of-fire...

... Oh yes! That super-fast burst. The gun will be controlled by a CPU-mosfet. Trigger and selector will be electronic. There will be plenty of room. I planned to mount a spring going thru the pistol-grip into holding a specially shaped part attached to the axle of the selector. Making the parts from metal will give a nice feel to the selector and neat "click" -sound. I want that click, that click is really important. A micro-switch will know what position the selector is and that special-part will also lock the trigger when in safe.

At some point i'l DSG the setup. Since it has to fire at regular 120m/s or 390FPS but when in burst i need it to fire as fast as possible. While in full-auto the ROF will be limited down to match the real G11's rather slow ROF.

Piston position will be monitored via another micro-switch so the gearbox is pre-cocked in semi, burst and full-auto.

Magazines are obvious part i need to model and match to the real thing. The magazine is mounted on top of the barrel while two spares are placed on both sides. The magazines are VERY long but quite thin. A single-row BB-vein will work nicely but hi-cap would be very difficult if not impossible to make. Like the real thing this feed downwards like the P90. Even tho its a single-row, the magazines can fit over a 100BBs

Hopup will be a custom made. I have few ideas on it. When the magazine is insterted, an longer than usual BB-holder will open up and when the magazine is removed this holder will push the magazine partially out. Reloading a G11 is more like loading a crossbow rather than a regular magazine-fed assault-rifle.

One deliberate "creative freedom" i did intend to take. I removed the scope. It looks quite sexy and its actually a 1x scope but i have no means to fabricate it so i modeled the mounting into a on-spec weaver-rail. Turned out quite nice.

That odd round thingy on the side of rear is actually the charging-handle. It works a bit different tho. There a springloaded paddle you snag onto and turn it two laps to ready the gun. This feature got the gun its numerous nicknames such as "high fire-rate cuckoo clock"

Due to the overall simplicity of the design it could have had as an airsoft gun i can say we would have had this as an airsoft gun if it were in few more movies or used more largely... However, the real G11 project was shut down.

The final version known as K2 was built in quite large numbers for being a proto. Over 280 units were made atleast. Only a handfull were destroyed and most of the guns still exist.

Also to demonstrate the guns externals a non-firing prop was made using real extearnals but a mock-parts as internals. Atleast a couple hundred of these props were made. Some were used in movies such as Demolition Man and in few others... You know, leizoor-gun.

I've mapped two industrial grade 3D printers nearby that can both do very large components via "powder printing" like for example how ShapeWays does theirs. Also no worry of any green-party hippies!

I NEED YOUR HELP!!

Despite my super-human skillz i still have an issue... Actually quite a few but lets focus on this project. 

One problem is the sheer lack of information on the gun, and obviously the lack of good picture-material. I've scoured up a lot of pictures but most of them are very poor quality / low resolution so using them as a reference is quite hard. 

If anyone has ANY good quality pics on this gun. Please post links.

Also, MEASUREMENTS are needed. ANY form of reference will suffice. For example, if i knew how long the front handguard really is, i could use reference pictures to scale my model into perfect size. If you have a picture with something next to a G11 part and you know the measurements of that item, i could even use that as a reference. I can calculate those automaticly as long as i have numbers to input.

Then there is the coveted props. They are still around. Years back i saw them in Ebay every now and then. Prices were quite high but i'm more interested in asking someone who owns one a few questions rather than bying one... Or we could talk business ^^ 

If you know anyone who has these rarities, please let me know.

Lots of military museums and collages are told to have these. Even the real guns or the props. If someone has seen one somewhere, please tell. 

WHAT DO I GET?

If anyone is able to help me with this, i will give all my support and even the model for free for you to make your own gun. I have considored the commercial viabiliity of this and its a small market to make these. Also the print for the body will be 500+ bucks most likely + small CNC-work. Overall i'd expect this project to cost around four ficures. 

If someone wants to invest on this i could make more than one "on order" and for anyone able to help me i will take no profit what so ever from this.

And grats to anyone who just wasted part of their life to actually read thru all that... 

Apparently, the german tank museum in Munster has one

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-gun-talk/66183-some-hk-g11-lovers.html

Was just a quick search while trying to find something on the RPF. Apologies if you already knew of this :)

Looked like the ACR-model they used in the US army trials. Close, very close...

Is this what you need?

http://stevespages.com/pdf/hk_g11.pdf

The large picture i believe is the K1, fixed scope and different body design. 

The final K2 model has removable scope, three grooves in the front handguard and the center-body begins to widen towards the back, continues up the charging handle and then narrows back down.

They do share the field-strip mechanics tho. That i can use from this. Good find. Also, some much needed measurements... Alltho im not sure if usable. The drawn pics look as if they have the K2 but the large pic is the K1.

Many have tried, most (all?) have failed. Need way, way way more before you even consider asking people to give you money, imo.

Im not asking. I was offered. I won't take any from anyone till the first proto is working.

EDIT

Do you know anyone who has tried to make one of these?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived