AGM MG42 conversion

EverettTheUrban

Hi folks, so recently I managed to trade in a bunch of gear I don't need towards getting my hands on an AGM MG42, a replica which despite having its share of flaws left an impression on me from the moment I first saw it in action back as a rental at Anzio Camp in late '13. This isn't the first time I've had a support weapon; I had a previous stint with an A&K FN Minimi Para but back then the site I used to go to wasn't exactly ideal for support weapons and the terrain a great deal more challenging to work with whereas the one I visit now has plenty of structures to hunker down at and throw down some suppressive fire and is generally the kind of place where this beauty would fit right in.

I've already read into catgut's conversion of his MG42 to a Yugoslav M53 which really impressed me and given I'm not interested in doing a WW2 loadout (I prefer Russian/Eastern European inspired loadouts) I thought something more along the lines of an MG3 conversion would be more appealing. However, I'm aware there's a few visually distinct differences between the 42 and the 3 - some productions of the MG3 feature AA sights, the stock is a glossy black finish, the muzzle is (slightly?) different and from what I can tell the ammo drum seems to be mounted at a lower angle which could be something of a problem to replicate. I'm not particularly concerned about minor differences but I'd like to be able to give off a faithful impression, so would an MG3 be feasible? Or would I have an easier time passing it off as an MG1A3?

My 2p:

The differences between the MG42 and the MG3 are, in the scheme of things, fairly minor.

The flashider is a good point to start and not too expensive (again, in the scheme of things!) http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/MG3-MUZZLE-CONE-AND-BOOSTER-SET-288p2506.htm

If its your style maybe go for the german army tacticool'd MG3. Admittedly the stock might be a bit tricky as it is adjustable and has a vertical grip but otherwise you could put a  long rail on the 12 of the heatshroud, short rails on the 3 and 9 and a feed cover top rail with a short dot scope (visionking?) on it.  Not only would that be really, really cool but also its distinctive enough not to be confused with a "normal" mg42 (the horror!)

Good luck, looking forward to seeing what you get out of this.

Cheers. 

Archived