Tokyo Marui M40A5

Hatchet

I must admit I do like the look of the dark earth type coloured version though. :)

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I am pretty sure that is OD.

Though I would not mind a dark earth color myself. I already converted my VSR to an OD M40A3.

The L96 also has metal mags.

I did by a Well version of it though. Simply because of the cheaper and better aftermarket parts. (thank you Airsoftpro)

Very interested to see the loading system. Hopefully better than the L96.

• 6 months later...

Maybe someone can educate me, since this have a short stroke system and the cylinder is also much shorter. Won't it be hard to upgrade it to higher FPS setup? What I know, it's important to have big cylinder volume if you want to shoot heavier BB's. Cylinder will clearly not be VSR compatible, so TM m40a5 is losing big chunk of air volume.  

• 2 weeks later...

Machsakai review is up. Largely a case of looking at the pictures for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjiryxx3vAI

The manual is also shown in full at the end, which has some more info on the loading system. 35 rounds in a magazine, when it's put into the gun, half of those are pushed into the gun and half are still in the magazine. It's then fired. When the magazine is empty there will still be half the rounds in the gun that you can't fire. Then when you put the next mag in you end up getting a full 35 to fire. So there's always about half a mags worth in the gun, even when you've got no mag in... Could make for some interesting safe zone experiences. I think you could still turn the gun upside down and gravity feed them, so it's still potentially unsafe (or you ditch half a mag of ammo every time if that's possible).

Hop system looks to be similar to the L96 (same adjustment dial). Couldn't work out the cylinder length. Bolt pull is short, but not sure how that's achieved. Hopefully there'll be some more reviews in the near future. 

Looking at the manual, it appears there is a gate to stop the back flow of BBs into an empty mag well, only a loaded mag appears to 'open' the gate.

There is a second 'gate' (detent?) in red if you look closely at the diagrams which suggests that rounds can only progress into the nozzle feedway/chamber when a magazine with at least one round is attached. With no mag, there is no feeding tension on the internally held rounds and they are kept captive.

While that's pretty clever from a safety perspective and is in line with most safe zone rules with mags out, I wonder whether the second feedway stopper is plastic/metal and whether that'd scratch up BBs at all.

Well, the first magazine anyway. I guess you can always take it out again and top it up if you only have the one.

If I didn't have so much money sunk into the VSR already I'd probably pick one up. I still might if I had cash to spare, but I could that towards a Wolverine BOLT for the VSR... decisions decisions (well, hypothetical decisions).

Archived