APS 12 guage pistol

Brigg

So heres a project Ive been working on for the past two weeks, or so. maybe 3, I kinda lost count.

I wanted a small shotgun like gun to use for my local cqb field, where using the full sized aps shotguns is a bit cumbersome. Also due to the fast nature of the games there, I preferred to stick with an SMG or similar sized GBBR as a primary.

But theres those occasions going around corners and the like where having a spread weapon like an APS shotgun is indispensable, so, I started out designing a relatively small single shot pistol that would use the APS shells. It started out with a  quick dirty mock up drawing i did just to work out the basic design. it didnt show quite everything.

post-80387-0-50498100-1463076222_thumb.jpg

I unfortunately didnt take too many pictures as i was working on it. It didnt occur to me. So this isnt so much a build thread, so much as an "I already built it " thread. This is what it looked like after i had worked out the trigger components:

post-80387-0-44002900-1463076660_thumb.jpg

And these were the grips after i had stained them:

post-80387-0-45964400-1463076685_thumb.jpg

After shaping the frame, polyurethaning the grips and fluting the barrel it looked like this:

post-80387-0-33507100-1463076715_thumb.jpg

Then i made the barrel latch buttons and painted it.  but realized the latch would get stuck too easily, which i fixed, but ruined the painjob. so it will need a repaint. These last two pics show the finished internal shot, and the "finished" gun before i messed up the paint and redid the latches:

post-80387-0-31512400-1463076859_thumb.jpg

assembled:

post-80387-0-38379200-1463076862_thumb.jpg

Now, its not 100% complete yet, but it functions very well. Even has a bit of recoiil when you fire off an aps shell. I need to sand it down a bit and repaint the entire thing though.Heres what it looks like from the back:

post-80387-0-20359200-1463076960_thumb.jpg

Its not the most complicated gun ever desoigned, but as my first finished, working design Im pretty happy with it. And I think it'll be really handy for going around those corners in cqb. The thing has one hell of a spread owing to such a short barrel. Sorry if the post seems a bit lacking in detail, but i just wanted to put something up about it before i got busy again.

Does the force of the hammer strike have any bearing on the APS shells? Like, will it work if just pushed by a lever as with typical 40mm grenades?

They probably would fire if you just pushed them in, but it might be much harder then pushing in the valve on a 40mm moscart or something.  I think they would work fine in that Orion flare gun you built.

So aside from the paint, this project is officially finished. I'll post some more pictures of it once that's done.

I'm thinking of doing another more complicated design firing aps shells but I can't decide between two ideas.

The first idea is a double barreled version using a similar setup, but laid out more like a traditional shotgun. It would have a sliding trigger with two stages, one for each barrel, like some Italian shotguns I've seen.

The second idea is a bolt action feeding from a 2 or 3 round internal magazine and sitting in an SKS stock (because I have one laying around). It would be based on the design of a mosin Nagant so nice and simple.

I think both of these are within my capabilities. I had an idea for a semi auto using its own co2 supply for the bolts recoil but I think that's beyond my understanding at the moment.

Actually, for me, this looks like more useful version of PF-45. With a shotshell/slugshell it'd be almost certain kill on the ranges used, thus ensuring you could get the guard's (better) weapon and the gun looks more suitable for follow-up shots than Liberator. :D

So one, two of these as 'guerrilla kits' for 'local population' in a more simulation-style game would be interesting.

Ok so I think I've decided on the double barrel next. Mostly because I think it would be a more useful weapon in a game.

I had done a mock-up of the bolt action and it seemed like it would be pretty large to only hold 3 rounds while serving no different function from a standard aps cruiser length.

So the only thing I really need to figure out is how to attach two barrels. I originally thought I would braze them together but for the length I want that's kinda implausible. Itd be almost impossible to keep them heated to where they could be tinned.

I was planning to use hts2000 since it doesn't require any flux (plus already have it). Issue is the barrels will be about 14" long. So considering how fast aluminum dissipates heat, it would be pretty hard to do nicely. Also I'm inexperienced at brazing so it might be wayyyy past my skill level.

Update!

Im in the process now of making a second one of these, using some new shaping techniques I learned. Functionally identical otherwise though.

But, that means once I finish the second, I'll be selling the original, If anyone is interested in it.

Heres some pics of the in progress second version, So far just an incomplete frame:

Dh3vdJ0l.jpg

1mp3f8tl.jpg

Hopefully I should have it done within a week or two.

Archived