Colt MKIV Series 70 build

garry

On the go.....

TM based.

The idea is to get the gun as near to RS weight as possible and make it very reliable.

I intend to retain the plastic slide, as I like the insane performance of it on propane.

Already fitted a stainless chamber and outer barrel, stainless full length guide rod and steel bushing.

Stainless grip screws fitted for aesthetics.

I'll gradually swap out all the controls, hammer, sear, valve knocker etc for steel.

It's already at a respectable weight with the upgrade parts of 920g.

I need to fit RS grips at some point, but as the TM grips are weighted, the only way to get that weight back is to get a metal frame.

Bit of a pain, as it seems they always come as a frame / slide kit - so the slide will we wasted and end up in the parts drawer!

Any suggestions / advice is welcome.

f54s4g.jpg

k4i72t.jpg

34i0gsk.jpg

15psmxg.jpg

Full length guide rod looks weird to me on a S70 but I guess if you need it for weight.

Have you considered RS grips and those slim grip weights that fit between the grips and magazine?  You could do some other cuts that are hidden in the frame and fill with steel.

Thanks mate,

I'll look into that.

Yes, the full length guide rod does look a bit out of place I suppose, but I quite like it. As you say, it is good for adding weight though.

Just got back in from my garage - put 100 rounds through it quickly. Great fun & the extra weight does make it feel nice. I really don't like light guns.

Too used to the RS when the nanny state allowed us........

HI Garry, nice build this a, and I look forward to seeing what it looks like and weighs in at when you have the metal frame etc added.. Yeah I must admit I prefer the look of 1911 without the guide rod but it still looks nice and has added a bit of that extra weight you want..

Looking forward to seeing what style of RS grips you put on it as well.

ATB Marc :)

I'd 2nd the lead ,and steal it from a church roof for added power as it will be blessed. I'd buy the kit and build a 2nd slide and add all the bells and whistles to make it run as good as possible, nice to have the option of a full metal jobbie.

Good ideas guy's.

I may try the idea of hollowing out the rs grips and use lead flashing in them. Might try to see what weight the metal frame adds first though.

I'm "considering"  using the same grips as I used on my Gold Cup, or do you guys think they would not look right on the MKIV?

2wmq694.jpg

Archived