Sordin Ztactical

Cryptkeeper

Hi,

Just purchased this Headset and i was wondering if anyone here has any advice to give in order to handle them and make them last. Btw, is there any problem leaving the batteries inside this headset ? it is a pain in the #ss to get the last one out.

Cheers

Hi,

Just purchased this Headset and i was wondering if anyone here has any advice to give in order to handle them and make them last. Btw, is there any problem leaving the batteries inside this headset ? it is a pain in the #ss to get the last one out.

Cheers

I would take the batteries out. They are an even bigger pain in the *albatross* to clean out if the contacts corrode.

• 4 months later...

Military headsets have much better battery life that the clone headsets out there for whatever reason. I agree with the rest in saying that you should DEFINIETLY remove the batteries when not in use. I'd also go though and clean out your ear cups every so often to keep from clogging the speakers along with checking for chaffed wires after each game. If you want to protect the wiring some more, a little electrical tape to reinforce the stock insulation wouldn't hurt either.

I did a lot of research on clone ear protection, found the price is not worth the hassle.

So I went 500$ deep to get a set of msa sordins with a bone mic and lemo connector(150$) converted for civilian use(375$).

My ptt was 150$ and radio was 50$(baofeng uv-5r v2+ with extended battery and programming cable).

Next up is an extended antenna and relocation cable.

Now I just need to get off my butt and program the radio for non ham use.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Glad to see so many people interested in helping.

Well i got the repro. I found a good deal and for the airsoft that we are currently playing here ( almost none ) it was the best choice. It has been a pain in the *** to get the last AAA battery every time and finish using them... any advice ?

Cheers

I did a lot of research on clone ear protection, found the price is not worth the hassle.

So I went 500$ deep to get a set of msa sordins with a bone mic and lemo connector(150$) converted for civilian use(375$).

My ptt was 150$ and radio was 50$(baofeng uv-5r v2+ with extended battery and programming cable).

Next up is an extended antenna and relocation cable.

Now I just need to get off my butt and program the radio for non ham use.

How do you find the bone conducting mic?

I've seen them traded from time to time, but nobody uses them. They are meant for situations where normal mic is not possible (eg. firefighting or other big headgear).

Well if you got the repro, 2 things you can do that will actually make it usable (somewhat).

- Aftermarket gel cups, will improve the ear protector

- Remove the steel tensioner that keeps the pressure of the cups in your ear, increase the tension by bending them inwards, then heat it up with a blow torch and dip in motor oil to temper.  Increased tension will make it work better as ear protector.

The ztactical noise selection circuit works ok on small arms but not crew served weapons (HMG, Mortars, 105mm), and the sensitivity isn't great (also has lots of static at high amplification).  Thats the cost of buying cheap :P

How do you find the bone conducting mic?

I've seen them traded from time to time, but nobody uses them. They are meant for situations where normal mic is not possible (eg. firefighting or other big headgear).

If you get a set with the bone mic in order to make use of it you need to change it to a normal mic for your use.

Then figure out how to out the big box thing in front of your mouth.

You could source some parts and do the work yourself or spend the money like I did.

I still need to program my radio, ppl say it takes 5 minutes to do but I doubt it.

For what it's worth I'm fairly impressed by my z-tac sordin set.

Admitally, I did purchase them broken, suggesting that they aren't super reliable, but since getting it fixed it's worked as well as I would have expected; the sound cuts out the noise of pyro (I also tested with a 12 bore shotgun) and the amplification works pretty well. I did need to find the sweet spot for the volume, as if I went too loud I found it would feedback my breathing back into my ears which is distracting. 

I need to get some more time using them as a radio headset. Before one skirmish I tested both the sordin and a z-tac "prr" replica, again the sound quality was good AKA "loud and clear" lol. However the skirmish itself took place in an old military storage area which was very hilly, rendering my *suitcasey* PMR radio's useless. The next time I took the sordin skirmishing, the batteries had run down as mentioned in this thread.

As for the final analysis, I think ear pro and optics are roughly comparable. I could get a real sordin like I could get a real eotech or aimpoint or something, but the difference in price is VAST... $150 for PTT sounds like someone is having a laugh tbh. I'd happily pay $200ish for an electronic ear def boom mic ptt set... Hopefully someone will capitalise on that gap in the market, till then...

edit: regarding the batteries running low - there isn't a beep or tone to let you know they are low. In my case, they just turn off. I can turn them back on again, but it will turn off within a few minutes, rinse repeat. also I meant boom mic not bone mic. 

edit 2:

Similar subject - I'm aware of the Howard Leight ear pro and the cheaper Peltor sets... back in the day people used to convert PRR headsets for airsoft use - do people still do this? I wonder if a converted PRR + one of the cheaper electronic ear pro would do the same job? 

Archived