APS to Cancel / Redesign there range of Shoties.

The Insider

TL:DR   Due to some Bad Boys in Taiwan, APS will cancel / Re-design there range of shotguns to be less convertible to fire dangerous materials.

Fingers crossed they see the light and go Tri-Barrel   ;)

FB translated...

To the customer, from the Hong Kong APS company notification, currently cam870 series will be 1 in July this year in the future all in Hong Kong and Taiwan Discontinued, if a customer wants to purchase please expeditiously!

The following message via APS
" to the distinguished boss,
Believe you have heard in Taiwan have wholesale and store to Taiwan police arrested, unreasonable things in Taiwan araki sources among the emergence of new modified aps cam870 approach. Two years ago, Taiwan people just be original cam870 17.3 mm caliber barrel read 18.4 mm conversion barrel, machine gun firing pin, even replace 18.4 mm grenades, after conversion is used to hit really shotgun shells. At this point cam870 factory design of unexpected, bag after paul converted the first blow will be loaded, changed person is deserved! Could be a foot high road them any chance! Starting this year, Taiwan people no longer read the gun, but will the gunpowder onto the remodeled cam870 play direct hit. So, although better than the original power of the shotgun much detail, but at close range, there must be a lethal.
Our position in the company, only feel helpless and angry the whole degrees! Because normal jurisprudence, photo by the culprits themselves converted ammunition or modified by the police of its own powder bomb. How can I forget it to wholesale or store? If there is the possibility that the largest number of prohibited; nor can be arrested! The laws of Hong Kong really civilized than Taiwan for ten years! Now our company has invited the international recognition of the firearms experts write original documents in this barbaric practices of Taiwan, hope can help police star fan boss win this lawsuit. While the fan boss also indicate that, at present shouldn't legally responsible, but Taiwan police brutality practices is not right, he will resort to jail, made clean, also want justice! Fan Boss is really a man!
In a statement, experts and initial assessment, the feasibility of this low and modified any firearms or ammunition can't count to our aps or store. But the views of the big ears, different while in Hong Kong is not legal, but aps are social responsibility of the local businesses, I can't give chance to the culprit can harm the people of Hong Kong and law enforcement personnel life. Little brother therefore had no choice but to announce that, in the beginning of July Hong Kong region discontinued cam870 all gun and cam play until we will transform the existing structure complete, don't give the culprit or intentionally bad people have even the slightest chance of silk.
Just Discontinued, believe it will affect the distinguished from boss, believe that you are the love of the people of Hong Kong, will give me the understanding, will guard co Hong Kong! In any case, in this matter of inconvenience caused, please receive little apology!"

Worrying for UK owners (in theory) as suggests it meets the criteria for ready convertible :/

It fails the UK law already, it's just that nobody noticed.

Of course, having to change the barrel, and half the internals, really doesn't make it 'readly convertible' because when you go to that much effort, you can make a functioning shotgun out of some scrap metal.

Any chance you have the original Chinese text in a screen shot so i can translate it ?

have text, but Arnies not like the Chinese.. .  lol.

its not like they in the EU or anything...   lol.

I'll try figure out a way to post it.

done...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RI7W3pAqo-g-iIrUeVC4koqHWyK64UtA-L47Wk5eWJ8

I am hunting the internetz right now looking to buy an additional complete rifle and some more shells and accessories.

I will be damned if this thing will slip out of my hands at this point! :o

Man, you have no idea how crushed I am by this... 

Already taken care of man :P

Thanks though!

Bought the SAI version from AsiaAirsoft due to free shipping. Because it is a very good price for what you get if you compare to parts on APS website.

Bought parts and accessories from APS directly as well. And I have 1,5 complete APS CAM870s already in my possession so. I hope this will keep my covered.

I would assume there may be a fire sale on these things that retailers have in stock, but seeing as it is being pulled for legal reasons it may just be recalled and not sold so I can't wait.

But damn...

I love the platform for the exact reasons it is being recalled so I don't even want to think about what any potentially new designs will entail.

:(

BTW where is that quote from in your signature? I kinda recognize it?

Oh and can you give us some sort of rough translation of the press release as you interpret it? :o

Actually you opened with that in your first post :P

Cool... you should be able to get what you have ordered so long as the retailer has stock.
As they would rather sell it ASAP, than retrun to the factory ;)

and sig quote...   ;)
been hunting my fellow man for fun, for over 30 years now... so has great meaning to me... lol.

Right, translated.

Dear customers, we have been advised by APS Hong Kong, as of 1st of July, the CAM870 series will suspend its sales in Hong Kong and Taiwan region, please consider buying swiftly if you would like to own one.  

I believe that you have heard the rumor where several distributors and retailers havebeen prosecuted without charge in Taiwan, which apparently chases back to a recently surfaced modification of the CAM87. About two years ago, some Taiwanese were modifying the 17.3mm diameter barrel to 18.4mm, and changing the firing pin in order to fire live shotgun rounds. This is something we have considered during the design and manufacture process, guaranteeing in the event of such modifications, there would be catastrophic failures that such criminals would deserve. Unfortunately since the beginning of this year, the Taiwanese criminals no longer modified the CAM870 gun, but instead directly placed gunpowder and primer into the APS shells, even though the lethality of such modification is not as potent as a 12ga shot out of a real gun, at close range it's still able to do certain damage. 

From our perspective, we feel helpless and frustrated, because with common sense you'd think criminals modifying guns and ammunition should not be the responsibility of the distributors nor the retailers, perhaps a ban on sales would make sense, but surely not the prosecution of retailers and distributors? This shows that the Hong Kong laws are far more civilised and advanced than that of the Taiwanese's by a few decades. We have hired internationally recognised / certified firearm experts to provide us with relevant proofs, we sincerely hope that this will help Mr Fan fend off the charges under these backwards Taiwanese legal system. As Mr Fan stated, according to the law he is not responsible for any of it, and the barbaric prosecution of the Taiwanese law enforcement is to be condemned. Once he has cleared his "charges", he will be suing to retain his innocence and reputation, Mr Fan is a real / honourable man.  

According to the consultation to our experts, the preliminary impression is that this low probability event and modification of guns and ammunition should not be linked to APS, retailers or distributors. Even though in Hong Kong we are not breaking any laws, we have a social responsibility to ensure criminals aren't able to use our products to harm others, therefore regrettably we are announcing until we have re-designed the current the system, we are suspending of sales of all CAM870 models and shells in the Hong Kong region.  

I believe this would affect all of our customers, but we believe you will all understand for the love and protection of Hong Kong, but for all the inconvenience, we sincerely apologise.

What I can't help but notice a few times is the explicit mention of the region of which they will suspend sales, does that mean it could continue for us? Someone should find out!  

Hmmm. So the statement is very specific on it affecting Taiwan and Hong Kong. Leaving some room for continued international sales. But logically since the thing is produced in China/Taiwan/Hong Kong and then exported, if it cannot be sold and distributed there, how will it make its way out of that region...

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Ah, I guess the last sentence wraps up my above thoughts by pretty much saying, no more APS CAM870, anywhere.

I believe this would affect all of our customers, but we believe you will all understand for the love and protection of Hong Kong, but for all the inconvenience, we sincerely apologise.

Damn.  :(

FYI as soon as I read this thread I emailed APS asking if it is true and what is going on and if it will affect international sales and availability of spare parts and accessories.

I will post back when I get a response.

EDIT: Ah, I guess the last sentence wraps up my above thoughts by pretty much saying, no more APS CAM870, anywhere.

Please don't analysis it word for word, it's my translation, literal translation would have been "This would affect our dearest bosses / customers", but that's an insane sentence, it's still worth finding out whether this a local suspension or applies to the world. 

probably only the left overs....    

They are quite a political "pro-police" company so I can't see there will be any further production runs of these models.
And they have very little control over there retailers further away....   so the left overs further afield should be available for a little more time.

Still... it could be a sneaky "black flag" marketing ploy.
They realized the model is not that popular... so will stop the production. 
But to push the sale of the last stock piles, at higher prices... made up this little scenario to do so.  
So unless you really really wanted one for a long time now... no need to jump on this band wagon.  ;)

Well actually the APS CAM870 platform has had a huge upswing in the last year thanks to airsoft 3GUN and when I spoke to APS via email about 6-12 months after release at that point they were considering cancelling it because it was going pretty badly.

Considering all the models, upgrades and accessories they have released in the last 6-12 months, I would say it is going anything but bad for them.

I would probably say the opposite. If you want an APS CAM870 brand new in box, you gotta move within the next 0-3 months or you might not see them again in this configuration.

That is sad news.  The realism when was part of the fun of using one, but I feared this was probably inevitable with the platform given the ease at which stupid criminals could modify them to fire live shells (whether the gun was adapted or the shells).

I've got six whole CAM870s, one I am building at the moment with Fab Defence MO 500 parts, and about two more in parts from previous upgrades/changes.  Fortunately I have just had confirmation I'm getting some more packs of shells to stock up, and maintenance parts are easily fabricated once stocks run out.

Well this just plain sucks.

It's a damn fine shotgun and I want a whole lot more of them. And then some *albatross*-hat goes off and does something like this and ruin it for the rest of us. He should lube up his eye-hole, 'cus I wanna fu*k some sense into his tiny mind.

Luckily I just bought my third CAM870 (an AOW one, which I've always wanted), but now I want yet more since they will undoubtedly become quite the collectors piece in a very near future.

Good news for Swedes though, there are still  CAM870's available domestically, and some are even on sale.  :)

From the gossip on FB in the asian group they did claim that the new shells would be backwards compatibel tho

That is some good news at least.  It also suggests they are planning to release revised shotguns too.  Fingers crossed...

Having the shells cross compatible though suggest that the design is not all that different which makes me wonder what they are doing exactly. :o 

Considering that the CAM870 line is pretty much APS flagship product to date they don't really have much choice other than to modify the design as required.

But, all things considered for us realism fans the revised design will of course be less like the real thing and more derpy :P 

Archived