Salutations from America!

Howlett

I left airsoft over a decade ago to pursue other interests in life and it was only last week that, while reminiscing with a close friend about the past, I decided to check out Redwolf's page and see what was new in the hobby. Which, eventually lead me back home to here.

When I left GBBRs, gas rifles, what have you were the realm of "Classic Airsofters". At the time gas blowback guns were almost exclusively pistols and small sub-guns like the Maruzen MP5K, Vz.61, and KSC TMP. The only gas "rifles" that I can recall were the Youth Engineering Mp5 & Sun Project M4.

To see not only the adoption of GBBRs but also the realism in brands that I thought was lost when the budget AEGs came into being was a complete shock to me. I never dreamed I'd see Cerakote being offered on Airsoft guns, or any real unicorns being made that scream, "You have to buy me". But I see both, and I'm impressed!

I was almost exclusively a collector who wanted guns but wasn't of age, or financially well heeled enough to own real guns yet. Now that I have come of age, I have the disposable income, I have owned real guns, and I've seen the problems they bring, and the awful culture associated with them I want to reclaim the pure joy and happiness I felt playing with Airsoft and associating with other Airsofters. But only if I can get guns of equal quality to their real steel counterparts.

I want something I can shoot in my fenced backyard, something I can disassemble and tinker with. There are no fields or teams near me so a "skirmishable" replica isn't of much interest to me. Realism is.

Thus far, GHK, LCT, WE, and Real Sword have completely blown me away. The APS shotguns, and other shell ejecting guns have blown me away. I feel like they will offer the level of quality I'm used to.  I like the licensed KWA offerings but the white made in Taiwan and fake caliber markings kill my interest in them.

I still have one lone AEG. A Guarder AKM kit built with TM internals and an Autoback bolt. It hasn't been touched since 2007, the battery is a leaking mess, the motor is locked up, and it will need to be gone through and rebuilt prior to any kind of use. Being fairly secluded and having no airsoft stores, fields, or teams near me I used to do all of my own work. I'm confident, that given the time I could get it working again but I'm not sure of what all it will need after sitting covered in dust and exposed to the air for 10 years. Just assuming here, but I think that all of the rubber parts, piston head, main spring, and possibly wiring will need to be replaced due to dry rot and age? The externals are flawless, which surprised the hell out of me. I expected to pull a rusted mess out of the back of my closet.

Any help, or suggestions on re-entering the hobby are greatly appreciated. Especially when it comes to reliable retailers because the only sites I remember are Redwolf, and WGC.

Thanks!

Well, anything you want to know?

Local shops have grown a lot ( in about every country 'cept good ol' Belgium heh ^^). They'd be glad to help you out.

For collectors, VFC and LCT are still the shizzle. E&L, TM next gen and ASG Scorpion Evo are worth checking out.

RealSword are bombproof and awesome but as a company they're almost out of the picture? GHK are like GBB in a LCT jacket, They do ak's, m4's and one weird 5.56 CZ Scorpion Evo lookalike.

Have fun ^^

Sounds like you'll be right at home with GBBRs. Since you're not at all interested with skirmishing you may as well go with replicas that offer more than just shoot bbs, though that's not to say GBBRs aren't good for skirmishing with. The huge downside is that NONE of them have the same reliability and durability as their real steel counterparts. Some are great out of the box while some need a number of parts and/or modifications but they are almost all as fragile as the smallest zinc diecast part in them which there are plenty of. However, with reasonable use and proper maintenance they can last you a good long while before ever having to replace anything.

Well, anything you want to know?

Local shops have grown a lot ( in about every country 'cept good ol' Belgium heh ^^). They'd be glad to help you out.

For collectors, VFC and LCT are still the shizzle. E&L, TM next gen and ASG Scorpion Evo are worth checking out.

RealSword are bombproof and awesome but as a company they're almost out of the picture? GHK are like GBB in a LCT jacket, They do ak's, m4's and one weird 5.56 CZ Scorpion Evo lookalike.

Have fun ^^

That's a shame, what happened to Real Sword?

I see some used pieces here and there on Ebay but nothing on the major retailers.

My first "new" airsoft gun will either be a GHK AKMS or a RS T-97. I'm guessing if RS is on their way out it may be a good idea to nab the T97 Redwolf has in stock first?

The t97 isna magnificent piece, but it has it drawbacks. It's hard to change mags, it has a very small battery compartment, the trigger is sloppy and the sights are pretty meh. Optics rail is almost required.

But rangewise and accuracy wise it is quite lovely. It feels extremely nice and is very pointable. It's reliable and looks unique. :)

Wanna buy mine? ^^

The t97 isna magnificent piece, but it has it drawbacks. It's hard to change mags, it has a very small battery compartment, the trigger is sloppy and the sights are pretty meh. Optics rail is almost required.

But rangewise and accuracy wise it is quite lovely. It feels extremely nice and is very pointable. It's reliable and looks unique. :)

Wanna buy mine? ^^

I would, but I'm not sure if I can considering that I got the axe almost 12 years ago from Paypal for "Gun running" because of an airsoft transaction.

If all else fails I'll try to find a way to get you some money. There's one on Ebay right now that I'm negotiating a deal on however it's the B model and I'm not really a fan of the shorter version. So we'll see. :D 

I would, but I'm not sure if I can considering that I got the axe almost 12 years ago from Paypal for "Gun running" because of an airsoft transaction.

If all else fails I'll try to find a way to get you some money. There's one on Ebay right now that I'm negotiating a deal on however it's the B model and I'm not really a fan of the shorter version. So we'll see. :D

Well I'm from the EU, so shipping would cost you a fair bit since it's such a solid aeg.

Give me a pm if and when you'd like more info :)

I got one of those, I fought it until they removed the strike.

Hey! Nice to see that you're still around. You had a pretty epic collection that still makes the rounds on real steel forums today as.. real steel! I always made it a point to correct them and point out the gas hoses coming out of the mini Uzis. Hope you're well.

Well I'm from the EU, so shipping would cost you a fair bit since it's such a solid aeg.

Give me a pm if and when you'd like more info :)

Money really isn't a problem, well, it is but it doesn't bother me to pay shipping considering the situation I'm in and the nearest airsoft store is a state over and only sells the A&K and other cheap brands.  I'm looking at almost $200 shipping right now on WGC's page for a special order LCT RPK (Wood and poly versions).  I'd expect shipping from the EU would be over $100 + I'd have to pay you to paint the tip orange.

I'm a little scared off of the T97 because of the battery situation. The 97B seller accepted my offer on Ebay but doesn't have a battery and from what I've read the batteries are specific to the gun so I may be up a creek without a paddle with that one?

I'll definitely drop you a PM though if I decide I have to have the full sized gun to go with the mini!

That kinda ruins the realism though doesn't it?

I know back in the day it was popular on the M4 RIS guns and battery bags were a thing on certain replicas. I never had any part of it though.  I hate, hate, hate, wires going everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd update this topic for anyone else wondering about the fate of Real Sword.

I actually emailed them a few days ago and got a response back!

Dear Howlett,

Thanks for your email.Very nice to contact you,I'm Showy from RS company.

Yes,we still do it.Sorry to tell you that RS Type 56 AEG is out of stock now,we'll inform you once it's back to stock.RS Type 97 AEG is in stock now,you're always welcome to buy from RS directly.Please fill in the attached order information form and then i can make an invoice for you according to your order request.If you have any concerns,please feel free to contact us.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks & Best Regards
Showy Wang

Marketing Department
RS International Industry Hongkong Co., Ltd.

So it looks like they're still in business.

I left airsoft over a decade ago to pursue other interests in life and it was only last week that, while reminiscing with a close friend about the past, I decided to check out Redwolf's page and see what was new in the hobby. Which, eventually lead me back home to here.

When I left GBBRs, gas rifles, what have you were the realm of "Classic Airsofters". At the time gas blowback guns were almost exclusively pistols and small sub-guns like the Maruzen MP5K, Vz.61, and KSC TMP. The only gas "rifles" that I can recall were the Youth Engineering Mp5 & Sun Project M4.

To see not only the adoption of GBBRs but also the realism in brands that I thought was lost when the budget AEGs came into being was a complete shock to me. I never dreamed I'd see Cerakote being offered on Airsoft guns, or any real unicorns being made that scream, "You have to buy me". But I see both, and I'm impressed!

I was almost exclusively a collector who wanted guns but wasn't of age, or financially well heeled enough to own real guns yet. Now that I have come of age, I have the disposable income, I have owned real guns, and I've seen the problems they bring, and the awful culture associated with them I want to reclaim the pure joy and happiness I felt playing with Airsoft and associating with other Airsofters. But only if I can get guns of equal quality to their real steel counterparts.

I want something I can shoot in my fenced backyard, something I can disassemble and tinker with. There are no fields or teams near me so a "skirmishable" replica isn't of much interest to me. Realism is.

Thus far, GHK, LCT, WE, and Real Sword have completely blown me away. The APS shotguns, and other shell ejecting guns have blown me away. I feel like they will offer the level of quality I'm used to. I like the licensed KWA offerings but the white made in Taiwan and fake caliber markings kill my interest in them.

I still have one lone AEG. A Guarder AKM kit built with TM internals and an Autoback bolt. It hasn't been touched since 2007, the battery is a leaking mess, the motor is locked up, and it will need to be gone through and rebuilt prior to any kind of use. Being fairly secluded and having no airsoft stores, fields, or teams near me I used to do all of my own work. I'm confident, that given the time I could get it working again but I'm not sure of what all it will need after sitting covered in dust and exposed to the air for 10 years. Just assuming here, but I think that all of the rubber parts, piston head, main spring, and possibly wiring will need to be replaced due to dry rot and age? The externals are flawless, which surprised the hell out of me. I expected to pull a rusted mess out of the back of my closet.

Any help, or suggestions on re-entering the hobby are greatly appreciated. Especially when it comes to reliable retailers because the only sites I remember are Redwolf, and WGC.

Thanks!

Just curious about what this "awful culture" you are talking about?

Just curious about what this "awful culture" you are talking about?

If you don't understand the problems with gun culture in America, I can't make you understand. Well, I can try but we're probably just going to go round and round in circles and it will be unpleasant for everyone.

So I'd really rather not get into it. No hard feelings. :)

If you don't understand the problems with gun culture in America, I can't make you understand. Well, I can try but we're probably just going to go round and round in circles and it will be unpleasant for everyone.

So I'd really rather not get into it. No hard feelings. :)

No I want to know, we have a right to have them.

The problem is criminals being released to do the same thing before they got locked up.

I love going to the range, shooting classes, hunting, defending those who are helpless because they can't defend themselves.

Upholding our Constitutional rights against the government that wishes to control us for their own gains.

It's not a culture, it's our responsibility to those that gave us the rights.

No I want to know, we have a right to have them.

The problem is criminals being released to do the same thing before they got locked up.

I love going to the range, shooting classes, hunting, defending those who are helpless because they can't defend themselves.

Upholding our Constitutional rights against the government that wishes to control us for their own gains.

It's not a culture, it's our responsibility to those that gave us the rights.

2n8zz1u.jpg

What part of, I don't want to engage you in this topic don't you understand?

I've come to my conclusion, and you've come to yours. You're not going to change my mind, and I'm not going to change yours.

Thankfully, Demographics tend to err on my side of this issue and it won't be an issue at all within the next two election cycles. :)

Given that you want a gun to plink with and strip, I'd go for a GBBR of some description over an AEG. You don't need as many magazines as you would if you were skirmishing, so that's a fair % of the cost taken away. 

Real Sword have the external edge over GHK but ever so slightly - the externals on the latter are still really, really good and I think GBBR is just that much more "fun". Take a look here & here to see how realistic you can make a GBBR (with skills, knowledge and tools ofc)

A GHK M4/AK series, APS M870 and one of those KWC / Cybergun co2 1911 "rail guns" is something I'd go for. There is a mod called the devilhunter mod which mods the GHK CO2 mags to take co2 from the bottle but tbh I know FA about that. cheers 

There's something ironic about this fact considering every other page has images of gun shaped objects and people drooling over them, but generally we try to avoid gun politics debate, it never ends well every time it's brought up. 

+1 on GBBR, I had a real sword a while ago but sold it soon after I got a GHK GBBR AK, while the external quality is very impressive, it's just a gearbox in a shell at the end of the day, GBBR however are on a different level of fun, especially if you're plinking only you don't have the quirks to worry about. There are also "next-gen" AEGs which gives you a little bit of recoil sensation, and with some attempt to simulate the controls of the real thing, such as stopping fire on empty, and having to push the bolt release for the gun to keep firing. As far as I know (ones with recoil engines and stop on fire), there's the TOP AR variant AEG (one model even ejects shells per shot), DAS M4A1 by GBLS Korea, Next-gen TM (AR variants, SCAR-L, SCAR-H, HK416, HK417), KSC ERG (AR variants, AK-74M) 

There's something ironic about this fact considering every other page has images of gun shaped objects and people drooling over them, but generally we try to avoid gun politics debate, it never ends well every time it's brought up. 

+1 on GBBR, I had a real sword a while ago but sold it soon after I got a GHK GBBR AK, while the external quality is very impressive, it's just a gearbox in a shell at the end of the day, GBBR however are on a different level of fun, especially if you're plinking only you don't have the quirks to worry about. There are also "next-gen" AEGs which gives you a little bit of recoil sensation, and with some attempt to simulate the controls of the real thing, such as stopping fire on empty, and having to push the bolt release for the gun to keep firing. As far as I know (ones with recoil engines and stop on fire), there's the TOP AR variant AEG (one model even ejects shells per shot), DAS M4A1 by GBLS Korea, Next-gen TM (AR variants, SCAR-L, SCAR-H, HK416, HK417), KSC ERG (AR variants, AK-74M) 

I get the irony, but to me Airsoft is the more responsible option when it comes to enjoying the shooting sports. The guns do everything the real ones do but enable mass slaughter.  It's like having a girlfriend without any of the associated problems or heartbreak. :D

A GHK AKMS is on the short list, next to the Marui M4 MWS rifle, WE L85, and a G&P MK23 stoner just because I have a Robinson Arms M96 and simply can't live without a replica (Sort of, I know nobody makes an AR magwell MK23 stoner yet). Just waiting for a few checks and a few stamps to clear out my RS collection before loading up the cart on Evike and Redwolf.

The MK23 will be paired up with a King Arms M79 Launcher when Evike gets them back in stock with wood/metal construction. I enjoy tinkering so there's going to be a lot of upgrades done to it. I'm actually going to skirmish that pair locally with some friends who have expressed mutual interest in getting back into Airsoft so it should be fun.  The last few backyard wars we had as teenagers were on 30+ acres of woodland and I was dominating them with a CA Para-SAW and 40mm shower shells so I kinda want to get another support gun and launcher for that purpose alone. May have to invest in the LCT M60 since the stoner is a V2 based gun. (IIRC V2 isn't good for sustained fire)

Also looking at what Brill Armory has to offer and the CNC gearbox shells by Retro Arms and  Siegetek gearsets are drawing my attention. I don't see very many Systema parts left. Not sure what motor I'll go with. Seems like everyone is running an M120 400 FPS spring standard now so I guess that's the direction I'll go. Reading up on the R and S hops, new barrel lapping techniques, and what not that's new in the tech world since I've been gone.

I'd love to get into the for sale section and find a good replica of a full size Uzi. TM with ZEKE preferably. Because letting go of my RS transferable SMG was one of the most difficult decisions I've ever had to make. Out of all the NFA items I had the full size Uzi was always my favorite. I saw that GRIM is still kicking around and has built some GBBR full size Uzis, would love to have one but I'm not sure if he's offering them for sale since I can't see the sale forum. If I could get up with him I wouldn't be opposed to butchering a real IMI carbine & a KWC Mini Uzi to make one.

Short of recovering my old account, which seems impossible given I don't have access to the email address or password associated with it anymore. I guess I'll just have to start posting more, and try to be informative so I can hit that 100 post count. :)

Wow.. you ain't kidding about going sober, letting go of a transferable UZI for a TM Uzi sounds... tragic. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think GRIM used a real steel body of an UZI and made one based around the WA / KWC mini-uzi's internals, so at least it's got good recoil and realistic function, maybe that's a route to go down? 

The Marui MWS is nice and is likely to be the most accurate / consistent GBBR AR out of the box, but I'm on camp GHK for a few reason, mainly more accurate material (in the stock format all things are already steel), harder recoil, more real steel compatibility, and more importantly, is compatible with this thing called the Devilhunter's mod which is really awesome, long story short it takes a CO2 magazine, but instead of having to replace the capsule every time you need more gas, this mod allows you to charge it with a paintball CO2, it kicks very hard. 

Cnc Mechboxes and Siegetek gears are a waste of money if you run 400fps speeds - M120

Nice to see you're still around, actually maybe you can help me out with something else.

http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/26199-ksc-hk33k-its-out/page-2

Did you ever find out if Ver 4 PSG-1 gears were a direct fit replacement?

Archived