WE/ACE 1 Arms G19 Slide wear

kar120c

Just built this G19 Sai Style using a WE G19 lower frame and an ACE 1 ARMS Costa Ludus Slide and barrel and after 100 shots the slide groove where the slide lock hold it open shows signs of wear.

Is it normal, and it should works for long time or it means that soon my slide won't be stay open anymore? 2016_07_22_12_52_54.jpg free image upload

2016_07_22_13_11_06.jpg hosting immagini

Unfortunately this is normal.

The reason is because your slide stop lever (that catches the slide) is made of steel.

The slide itself is made of CNC aluminum, which is a softer metal.

When the two make contact under force the weaker metal will give in and start to wear.

In this regard the TM style after market slides have an advantage because they have a reinforcement piece that goes in the slide. But that doesn't really apply here, just an FYI.

What I have done on my A1A slide is to file down the vertical edge that you have circled in red, and gave it a bit of an angle. So that the bottom edge slants a little further back towards the slide than the top of the edge.

The only thing that does really is make releasing the slide with the slide stop lever easier. It won't prevent the deformation.

As time goes by this may get progressively worse, and if it does then you can file it down a little bit again, and again. Until your slide stop lever notch in the slide is so worn down that it stops to function. Which is the sad reality of mixing aluminum and steel.

:(

I don't use my A1A Glock build enough to tell you if this will lead to catastrophic failure in a short amount of time. But it's not something I have heard reported. Maybe DJ_komdo can tell you more.

Also I think initially when using it will wear down as shown in the image, and then slow down as the metal "settles" as shown. Hopefully it wont eat up the entire slide stop lever cut-out.

Nice Glock by the way :D

Unfortunately this is normal.

The reason is because your slide stop lever (that catches the slide) is made of steel.

The slide itself is made of CNC aluminum, which is a softer metal.

When the two make contact under force the weaker metal will give in and start to wear.

In this regard the TM style after market slides have an advantage because they have a reinforcement piece that goes in the slide. But that doesn't really apply here, just an FYI.

What I have done on my A1A slide is to file down the vertical edge that you have circled in red, and gave it a bit of an angle. So that the bottom edge slants a little further back towards the slide than the top of the edge.

The only thing that does really is make releasing the slide with the slide stop lever easier. It won't prevent the deformation.

As time goes by this may get progressively worse, and if it does then you can file it down a little bit again, and again. Until your slide stop lever notch in the slide is so worn down that it stops to function. Which is the sad reality of mixing aluminum and steel.

:(

I don't use my A1A Glock build enough to tell you if this will lead to catastrophic failure in a short amount of time. But it's not something I have heard reported. Maybe DJ_komdo can tell you more.

Also I think initially when using it will wear down as shown in the image, and then slow down as the metal "settles" as shown. Hopefully it wont eat up the entire slide stop lever cut-out.

Nice Glock by the way :D

Ok, tnx for the info. Any suggestion how to make the fake pin over the trigger?

I bought a real Glock locking block pin for mine, drilled out the holes (all the way through the inner frame). Then counter sunk the hole in the plastic a bit and installed the pin :D

You can do a fake install too and just drill holes in the frame, cut up the locking block pin (ends only) and glue them in place.

nx_g19_sai_custom_pins_release.png

Normal and 2 things you can do to help it

1. file the edges of the slide stop. The part that actually bites into the slide is very sharp from the casting. Remember, it contacts at an angle

2. file the slot of the slide with a backslope. This will force the slide stop to grind up into the slide instead of down. the wedge created reduces slip and wear.

Normal and 2 things you can do to help it

1. file the edges of the slide stop. The part that actually bites into the slide is very sharp from the casting. Remember, it contacts at an angle

2. file the slot of the slide with a backslope. This will force the slide stop to grind up into the slide instead of down. the wedge created reduces slip and wear.

Can you explain with pics?

As others say, steel parts eats aluminium and that is a normal wear. My tip is to powerstroke the gun as much as possible and do it as a habit. when you press down on the slide release, the steel part grinds against the aluminium frame. I let Travis Haley do the talking: 

vYkmqT.jpg

LkOvjX.jpg

i disagree, the main thing that eats the lower part of the notch is when you press down the slide release. When my gun locks back on empty chamber the slide release don't even touch that lower part, it touches the top part and yes that has also a little wear.

Archived