Madbull Daniel Defense 10.3 Barrel Aluminum vs Steel?

Special Ops

I've decided to buy a Madbull Daniel Defense 10.3 outer barrel for my MK18 Mod 1 conversion. I'm trying to decide which would be better, the aluminum or the steel version. 

I'm using the Madbull Daniel Defense MK18 rails, so I don't think the outer barrel would ever be subjected to any amount of force, other than in the rare case that I put a fake can on it, but I may never even do that.  

The aluminum barrel wouldn't be as strong as the steel barrel, but it would be lighter. Which would you get and why?  

Just thought of something. I'm not disputing the merits of a 1 piece outer barrel, over a 2 piece barrel. But does it really matter if your using a 2 piece barrel, considering that the free floating Madbull Daniel Defense MK18 rails are installed?  

No force would ever be subjected to the outer barrel since the rails are free floating.  

It will wobble I promise you. I have a Madbull 2 piece rail on a NSR build.. The single bolt that keeps it solid always comes loose even with loctite as the sleeve is slightly bigger than the barrel. I ended up wedging paper in there and then super gluing the *fruitcage* out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool, thanks for the info. I didn't know if it would be a problem with the free floating rails. 

The Cyma CM018 that I ordered, comes with a 10.3 outer barrel that's 1 piece, but I've noticed that It's more front heavy than other M4A1 AEG'S that I've owned. The weight of the AEG shipped, per Fedex is 9.7 pounds with shipping materials. This is before I install the MK18 rails and accessories. The real steel MK18 weigh in at around 6 pounds.  

Once I remove the front sight block, that will make it 4 ounces lighter and the weight is not really a big deal anyways, but I would like to lighten it up to a more realistic, real steel weight, as much as possible.  

I'm thinking the main culprit is the 1 piece outer barrel and front sight block, that's why I was interested in a aluminum barrel, but I would prefer one that is 1 piece and maintains the real steel barrel contour, just as the Madbull barrel does.    

The Outerbarrel will be aluminium so it won't be that that is adding the weight. It'll be the gearbox and battery mainly along with the pot metal materials used.. All of which are unavoidable im afraid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived