MK18 Mod 0?

Special Ops

I just ordered a G&G Combat Machine M4 CQB which I plan on making into a MK18 Mod 0. I'm more interested in accessories for MK18 Mod 0 that are still in use as of present day, not what they were originally configured for when the program first started.

Considering that the primary users of the MK18 weapon system are special forces, this gives me leeway as special forces often modify their weapons with whatever accessories they want.

I definitely want the KAC RIS. I was thinking of either the Vltor IMOD stock or Crane stock in case I decide to wire the AEG to the rear with a MOSFET, which I will most likely do in the future.

I'm also going with a Tango Down pistol grip.

What other, present day accessories that were not originally issued with the MK18 Mod 0, are being used by special forces for their MK18 Mod 0?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

present day...

guy posts picture from about 10 years ago.

Eotech EXPS3-0, LA5 PEQ, WMX200 flashlight is the standard issue kit these days, chuck an AFG on there too and you're rocking with the 21st century properly. USMC have also been seen with aimpoint T1/T2 and PEQ16.

Thanks. I would imagine and stock and pistol grip is not out of the question?

There's not really a huge difference between the RIS and the RAS. The RIS was the original mounting system and the RAS was an improvement that has a clamp on the rear that interfaces with the delta ring.

For airsoft purposes the only functional difference is that a RIS can be removed by pulling back on the delta ring assembly and popping the upper and lower parts of the RIS out, while the RAS requires the clamp bolt to be withdrawn before separating the two halves.

Nowadays you're likely to see a mixture of SOPMOD Block 1 and SOPMOD Block 2 accessories. 

It seems to me, based on your posts, that you need to do a little bit of research on your own about the differences between the Mk 18 Mod 0, Mod 1 and the Block 1/2 accessories. There's nothing wrong with asking questions, but the answers to these questions are available in a lot of places if you search.

The thing is I don't think the Navy has put RAS's on any of their Mk18's. So if you're going to do a Mk18 Mod 0 properly you need to go with the RIS. Also there's still a clamp you have to unfasten on a RIS: a flat head screw at the front the drives down a tab that clamps down on the handguard cap.

present day...

Eotech EXPS3-0, LA5 PEQ, WMX200 flashlight is the standard issue kit these days, chuck an AFG on there too and you're rocking with the 21st century properly. USMC have also been seen with aimpoint T1/T2 and PEQ16.

What I posted is present day, it's what you get and that's most of what they have.

What I posted is present day, it's what you get and that's most of what they have.

1. *Does Google Image Search*

2. Pic is of Matthew Axelson, from Op Red Wings

3. Op Red Wings: June 27, 2005 – mid-July 2005

4. 2016 - 2005 = 11 year's difference

:rolleyes:

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=1381

What I posted is still the most common setup one will get if issued the cqbr/mk18.

If you are doing a block 1 yes you will get the la-5(maybe), even if you are the most badass you wont always get the new hotness.

The cqbr is a block 1 accessory kit weapon.

I think the trouble is getting a proper KAC RIS. The airsoft world appears to use "RIS" and "RAS" interchangeably as well as pictures they put up for the product pages. I've gotten RIS's while trying to get RAS's and others have experienced vice versa.

It has been a pain, however to the best of my knowledge, it shouldn't matter.

The Navy uses the KAC RIS, but from my understanding, the Army and the Marines both use the KAC RAS.

So both would be correct, on MK18 Mod o, depending on the direction one wants to go with the build.

But the Mk18 is almost used exclusively by the Navy. Even if the Army were to get their hands on some Mk18 Mod 0's they would still be from the Navy and would've had RIS's.

The Army does have MK18 Mod 0 and MK18 with RIS II. They are in use with Combat Applications Group. Now if there actually called MK18, or another designator, that I don't know, but It's the same weapon system with accessories the operators want.

fcc27a93feea8e3923ef803b54e1b739.jpg

7th-special-forces-group.jpg

Wasn't aware the Army had them. But when I said the Army uses RAS while the Navy uses RIS I meant that the Army uses the RAS on their regular M4's. With the Mk18 Mod0's I doubt they would've taken the time to refit them with RAS's. It's not just a matter of taking the RIS off and slapping a RAS on. The Mk18 barrel profile isn't compatible with RAS's without modification.

The Army does have MK18 Mod 0 and MK18 with RIS II. They are in use with Combat Applications Group. Now if there actually called MK18, or another designator, that I don't know, but It's the same weapon system with accessories the operators want.

fcc27a93feea8e3923ef803b54e1b739.jpg

7th-special-forces-group.jpg

Wasn't aware the Army had them. But when I said the Army uses RAS while the Navy uses RIS I meant that the Army uses the RAS on their regular M4's. With the Mk18 Mod0's I doubt they would've taken the time to refit them with RAS's. It's not just a matter of taking the RIS off and slapping a RAS on. The Mk18 barrel profile isn't compatible with RAS's without modification.

Most likely these are CQBR's (Close Quarter Battle Receivers) mounted on a regular M4A1 lower receiver,

The Mk18mod0 is a either a 10.3" or a 14.5" barrel , mounted on a surplus M16A1 lower receiver, and was developed to replace the MP5,  used by VBSS teams  

But this is al hard to see on these  photo's.

Also i think RIS, or RAS is hard to see, and for Airsoft use dont think they make both the specific versions, think you should be pleased already, if you can get a good fitting, wobble free "KAC style" rail .

Today the most common is the M4A1,  with the Daniel Defense Mk18, 9" rail 

Its an endless discussion of what's the right nomenclature for this last version;  Block II CQBR, M4A1 with CQBR upper, or Mk18 mod1,

Although this last term could, possibly, be influenced by commercial intends, of Daniel Defense ?

Below a typical today configuration, DD Mk18 9" rail, EXPS-3 sight, Crane stock, LA-5 peq, WMX200 light, SureFire 556 SOCOM suppressor, AFG grip 

37sp2ix.jpg

Most likely these are CQBR's (Close Quarter Battle Receivers) mounted on a regular M4A1 lower receiver,

The Mk18mod0 is a either a 10.3" or a 14.5" barrel , mounted on a surplus M16A1 lower receiver, and was developed to replace the MP5, used by VBSS teams

But this is al hard to see on these photo's.

Also i think RIS, or RAS is hard to see, and for Airsoft use dont think they make both the specific versions, think you should be pleased already, if you can get a good fitting, wobble free "KAC style" rail .

Today the most common is the M4A1, with the Daniel Defense Mk18, 9" rail

Its an endless discussion of what's the right nomenclature for this last version; Block II CQBR, M4A1 with CQBR upper, or Mk18 mod1,

Although this last term could, possibly, be influenced by commercial intends, of Daniel Defense ?

Below a typical today configuration, DD Mk18 9" rail, EXPS-3 sight, Crane stock, LA-5 peq, WMX200 light, SureFire 556 SOCOM suppressor, AFG grip

37sp2ix.jpg

I think It's really the same weapon. The MK18 is an outgrowth of the CQBR project. During the beginning of the project, before the MK18 designator, CQBR where provided to the Navy with 10.5 barrels and modified M16A1 lower where used for those uppers.

Through the evolution of the CQBR project, the 10.5 barrel was discarded for the 10.3 barrel.

When the MK18 designator was assigned to this weapon system, the use of 10.3 was standard, so I guess one could technically say it's not a MK18, but to me, It's the same weapon.

Either way, CQBR or MK18, It's one fine weapon.

So I found some replica RIS rails. I just hope they fit on my G&G Combat Machine.

CAG don't use Mk18 / CQBR, H&K 416 all the way for them, if you're after a CAG gun then you need to start again from scratch!

CAG don't use Mk18 / CQBR, H&K 416 all the way for them, if you're after a CAG gun then you need to start again from scratch!

That's not true. CAG has and does use the MK18. Yes they also use the HK416 and prefer it over the M4. They have the SCAR-H at their disposal. They recently stopped using the Glock 22 and use the Glock 17 and Glock 19 with the Glock 19 getting more use. Are we suppose to believe that the only weapon CAG uses is the HK416. That's simply not true and as an elite Special Forces unit, they can get and use whatever weapon or gear they want.

Archived