MK18 Mod 0?

Special Ops

That's not true. CAG has and does use the MK18. Yes they also use the HK416 and prefer it over the M4. They have the SCAR-H at their disposal. They recently stopped using the Glock 22 and use the Glock 17 and Glock 19 with the Glock 19 getting more use. Are we suppose to believe that the only weapon CAG uses is the HK416. That's simply not true and as an elite Special Forces unit, they can get and use whatever weapon or gear they want.

Why would you use a direct impingement SBR like the Mk18 / CQBR when you can use the HK416?  Obviously they have a huge arsenal of weapons available to them but I find it hugely unlikely they'd have two 5.56mm rifles with the exact same barrel length just 'because'. The HK416 is a better platform and the only 5.56 rifle CAG have been photographed with for about 10 years. 

Even when they were using the M4 it wasn't in 10.3" format, they were almost exclusively using 14.5" barrels with GG&G rails, but that's ANCIENT history now, like pre 2004. 

The Mk18 / CQBR is not a correct weapon for CAG.  For MARSOC, Army SF, AFSOC, SEALs, Rangers etc it's accurate, but CAG don't use it, haven't done for over a decade.  

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DI vs piston is an age old debate and it's down to preference.

Either the dirt gets in the action(1 cleaning location) or all over the handguard(2 locations, you need to clean the piston).

(DI)The heat stays in the action and not in the handguard.

Barrels blow out before the gas tube ever will.

Piston guns of the shelf are easier to suppress but a proper gas block eliminates this issue.

To be fair dirty piston and handguard doesn't affect functioning of a gun as much as a dirty action. And also a suppressed piston gun doesn't blow eye stinging gas back into the shooter's face like a DI gun without special parts would. But, with all other variables being constant a DI gun does have more accuracy potential than a piston gun. A gas tube doesn't affect barrel harmonics as much as heavier moving piston spring oprod parts and stuff. Oh and of course, it's heavier.

To be fair dirty piston and handguard doesn't affect functioning of a gun as much as a dirty action. And also a suppressed piston gun doesn't blow eye stinging gas back into the shooter's face like a DI gun without special parts would. But, with all other variables being constant a DI gun does have more accuracy potential than a piston gun. A gas tube doesn't affect barrel harmonics as much as heavier moving piston spring oprod parts and stuff. Oh and of course, it's heavier.

Build it right it won't, it's down to the suppressor containing and directing the gas.

It's all in the gas adjustment, delaying the "blowback" sends more gas down the barrel.

Gas port size.

Suppressor carrier.

The charging handle has gaps that causes issues.

Throwing a can on a full gassed system will give you gas face and a rough running system.

Build the system for a can and you won't get gas face.

I did say you will get gas in the face with a standard setup. With DI you'd have to build a rifle around a suppressor. When you've built a rifle to run smoothly on a suppressor once you take the suppressor off you end up with a undergassed rifle. There are of course adjustable systems out there, but in general it's not going to be a simple flip of a switch like on piston systems as adjustable gas blocks come mostly with fine adjustments to accommodate the relative sensitive nature of DI. It can be done and done well, but it's just much less fuss with a piston gun.

I did say you will get gas in the face with a standard setup. With DI you'd have to build a rifle around a suppressor. When you've built a rifle to run smoothly on a suppressor once you take the suppressor off you end up with a undergassed rifle. There are of course adjustable systems out there, but in general it's not going to be a simple flip of a switch like on piston systems as adjustable gas blocks come mostly with fine adjustments to accommodate the relative sensitive nature of DI. It can be done and done well, but it's just much less fuss with a piston gun.

If you built it for can use I'd never take it off.

Point of impact and all that, I'm currently planning a build for an internally suppressed setup.

This way I only have to pay for 1 tax stamp(can).

Some gas blocks are as simple as "flipping a switch", the suppressor bolt for instance, this is a flip a switch setup.

But you need to know what your are doing, you need to research and measure.

It's more of a take the gun apart,  flip a switch set up, and put back together setup. Bottom line is in no way is suppressing a DI gun un-viable, but less fuss would be had with supressing a piston gun. And I would constantly take the cans on and off. I would shoot with them on for my own enjoyment, but if I am training for or anticipate the need to use the guns for life and death situations the cans are nowhere near my guns. Caught with one of these(or any NFA item) in an incident and you've dug yourself a hole.

DI vs piston is an age old debate and it's down to preference.

Either the dirt gets in the action(1 cleaning location) or all over the handguard(2 locations, you need to clean the piston).

(DI)The heat stays in the action and not in the handguard.

Barrels blow out before the gas tube ever will.

Piston guns of the shelf are easier to suppress but a proper gas block eliminates this issue.

Aren't you forgetting one minor thing especially regaring the navy forces

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SywgLmXSSP4

Never the less the AR15 blew up.

If it doesn't take anymore than a pistonkit to be the bit safer I don't see why not.

Let this thread go back to its original topic

Piston/DI has no bearing on these tests. It doesn't make it any safer. A piston AR assuming all other aspects being constant would've blown up just the same when fired underwater. Also the fact that in the HK test the M4 spectacularly suffered irreparable damage on only the first round fired out of the water whereas the AR in the second video fired 2 rounds UNDERWATER before a failure with easily repairable damage just shows how rigged the HK test was. The Navy have made small modifications to their MK18s to prevent these failures and have been over the beaching with DI guns for decades with no issues. 

Are the current issue 416's Stanag compliant or do they still have the awkward magwellmeaning it's hk heavy steel mags or nothing?

I'd rather have the d.i gun for the weight saving honestly

http://www.heckler-koch.com/en/products/military/assault-rifles/hk416-a5/hk416-a5-145/overview.html

Just want to point out that there is no such thing as a assault rifle. No matter what anyone says.

Assault is an act on.

Sorry had to say that because it was plastered on the page, and these are machine guns.

Are the current issue 416's Stanag compliant or do they still have the awkward magwellmeaning it's hk heavy steel mags or nothing?

I'd rather have the d.i gun for the weight saving honestly

I thought it was just PMags that were the issue in the 416 lower and the normal GI mags worked ok. I could be wrong though.

I know the real one isn't quite Stanag compliant even though most metal box magazines for the m16 and other Stanag guns fit hence the e-mag same with the IAR thing.

Alias I'd disagree assault rifle is a recognised class of weapons and has been since 1930ish denoting a select fire firearm with a carbine to short rifle (sub 20") setup to fire n intermediate cartridge.

Assault weapon is an awful made up term created by Sarah Brady, Satan with bad hair herself Nancy Pelosi and people like senator McCarthy when they whipped the press into a frenzy with a nonsensical law which gave us such gems as 'the shoulder thing that goes up' and a horrible horrible thing called the y-comp which makes a 5.56 feel like your eardrums are bursting even with high end plugs and muffs. It does clear indoor ranges well so you can get some private time shooting though.

I just ordered a G&G Combat Machine M4 CQB which I plan on making into a MK18 Mod 0. I'm more interested in accessories for MK18 Mod 0 that are still in use as of present day, not what they were originally configured for when the program first started.

Considering that the primary users of the MK18 weapon system are special forces, this gives me leeway as special forces often modify their weapons with whatever accessories they want.

I definitely want the KAC RIS. I was thinking of either the Vltor IMOD stock or Crane stock in case I decide to wire the AEG to the rear with a MOSFET, which I will most likely do in the future.

I'm also going with a Tango Down pistol grip.

What other, present day accessories that were not originally issued with the MK18 Mod 0, are being used by special forces for their MK18 Mod 0?

Funny how the Mk18- discussion always escalate  :D

(I quoted @Special Ops" initial post just to compare)

Alias I'd disagree assault rifle is a recognised class of weapons and has been since 1930ish denoting a select fire firearm with a carbine to short rifle (sub 20") setup to fire n intermediate cartridge.

I do believe it was Hitler that coined or at least made the term popular when he was visiting the eastern front and had a look at the MP43/44 and he named it the Sturmgewehr

FYI I am pretty sure I recall seeing an updated HK416 at ShotShow a few years ago where one of the changes was the magazine well design so that it was compatible with PMAGs out of the box.

Don't think airsoft versions have followed that though but since this thread seems to be more about RS than airsoft I thought I would add that :P 

Archived