Decent 40mm Shells?

Gigueand

Hi Folks,

Does anyone have suggestions for good, quality 40mm shells? I'm looking to launch NERF type rockets and the like.

I am aware of the TAG shells, but I'd rather not invest in a launching system that I might not be able to get ammunition for in the future depending on import regulations.

The last "shower" type shells I had were a pain - ball bearings falling out, difficult to reset, etc. Any improved variants available that don't suck?

I know this question has been asked before but I didn't find anything specific using search terms like "40mm," "shell," "MOSCART," and the like. If there's a thread that addresses this question just post a link.

In my opinion the best shells on the market are from S-thunder - they are by far the easiest to get on with, in my experience. If you end up using BB's the "paintball" style is the way forward, gas them up, scoop them into a bag of BBs then tape up the end / use the rubber plug. 

If you want to use CO2 you can get the co2 version, or purchase the co2 "core" separately.

I also use "Eagle Force" s-thunder clones (well I think so anyway), which are certainly more affordable but in my case I had 2 DOA out of a pack of 6 - worth factoring in. The ones that work, have continued to work though. 

Both the S-Thunder and Eagle Force I've found to pretty easy to reset - half the time they will do so automatically, and when they don't its a 50/50 split of having to reset them by pushing down the "button" (Dunno what it's actually called!) in my case with a thick hex key or a pen or whatever, or having to unscrew for a few rotations. 

BUT I don't think there is such a thing as a hassle free 40mm shell. At some point they won't go off.  I'd advise doing a test run the day before a skirmish - you'd be fortunate to have a 100% success rate. C'est la vie.

If you do need to take them apart and faff around with ball bearings (SO ANNOYING) I recommend a thick silicon grease to kinda hold them in place.

Cheers 

I can echo everything from above.

Also, APS shotgun shell wads fit in the S-Thunder shells and improve range and spread. As do the valve protector caps that Abbey gas cans come fitted with.

Do you put the wad at the "bottom" - that is, before the bb's? I've heard of people filling the shell with bb's, then adding water to increase power too.

Thinking out loud - what do we think the effect would be if you were to install a .68 paintball barrel inside a launcher with maybe a rubber end so that it is flush with a paintball shell? Would you get more range at the expense of spread? Or would it make no difference at all? 

• 3 weeks later...

Madbull xm 204, accept no substitute.

when i still bothered i could launch a squash ball (which are the perfect size for a king arms m79 by the way) about 90 metres.

i never bothered to measure the bb-shower-range, but it never disappointed.

Of course you need a co2 tank and adapter, but nothing else i have ever seen or tried even nearly compared.

I used to crank the regulator to the maximum setting.

for a short while i even owned one of those ics mgl:s, which i slightly modified to rotate with the otherwise too long xm204:s,

but it was so crappy i sold it off. 1200 bbs in 3-4 seconds was impressive though. Nice big bangs too.

In terms of shower shells the best Iv handled have been the POM shells by vanares (sp?) their lighter than the majority on the market but only ever seen em at RSOV

The standard S-thunder shells melted as dual use Pb/Airsoft that use the rubber cp to seal, the suggestion Iv seen is a bit of tissue as wadding and using packing tape to seal the hole rather than the rubber bunga, that really improves the ranges

There's apparently a trick with a bit of water that is supposed to increase the rage even move and as people have said swapping the cores for co2 cores helps.

The s thunder charger is pretty similar to the aps charger for shotgun shells and the mad bull one personally I'd try to find one with a pressure gauge and go from there. Using that would allow you to monitor the seals.

For projectiles other than be showers, the madbull rockets are cool but if you lose or damage the foam rocket part it's a sod to get replacements.

The foam slug ones have the same issue but could be home fab'd I think the rubber slug shells are SCARY and i wouldn't use them on anyone or anything.

the standard s thunders are 68 calibre (at least the hole is. So nerf type projo's you have to stuff them in kinda using the Fins and Iv not seen great range but foam balls work well.

The shotgun shell type ones for the smaller nerf football type things the 2" whistlers are really cool and probably cheaper than the tag system but aren't as great for long range accuracy and don't let you do things like air burst booms or smokes. Plus you can fit anything that will go into the shell and still fit in the launcher and fire it.

I know it's immature but when I found out one of the gag gifts I got from friends on my and my boys first anniversary of dating fit in the shell I spent a few hours firing them out of the launcher and getting them to stick to the wall.

I would love to have places let us use foam projo's with a blast radius type rule just to make Grenadiers play more like the real thing less like giant shotguns. If that were to happen is probably convert my pistol grenade launcher into something that looks visually like the panzerkampf pistol used by German forces adding a wire stock and a m203 style sight

I'm a huge fan of grenade launchers just never really had them live up to what I'd hoped. Maybe I'll get a TAG someday

For better or worse I picked up a 6-pack of the "universal" single hole S-Thunder clones ("Matrix") from Evike.

I'll report back once I've fielded them. My intention is basically to use them as a shotgun in ambush and night game situations. I'm hoping to be able to launch things as well, but I haven't investigated the best nerf items to toss.

Do the different sizes matter in terms of range for the different s thunder bases does anyone know?

You mean like how you can get the really short s-thunder ones? Off the top of my head, no.

Personally the only difference in range I have found is when I've used my Madbull 204bb grenade which doesn't go as far, but I've had no difference in range between my s thunder or eagle force ones which are ~90 and my CA 36 bb ones.
tbh cause the bit that holds the gas is the same size as the usaul ones, it's fine.

I don't buy the more bbs = less range/power.

As mentioned the difference is noticeable when you compare extremes, but it's like comparing an m16 AEG to an MP5K.. there will be a difference but its fair to say that airsoft barrel lengths don't really affect range to a significant degree.

The biggest factor for range and power is whether or not it can take co2, that's it no more no less.

Anything else is reliability and ease of reloading 

cheers

• 5 months later...

From what ive seen on tinter web madbull pb4 shells are supposed to have the largest gas capacity out of all 40mm shells on the market. The gas is held in the top section of the shell as well as the bottom. This is supposed to make them the go to for launching nerf or any other item that isnt 6mm flavour. Havent used mine yet as it just arrived today and i'm picking up my deepfire m72a2 this saterday. I'll let you know how much range i get after sundays game.

Archived