1911 Grips - Need some clarification

Redshirt 1-7

Right, so I've got this TM Night Warrior 1911 and I'd like to put some aftermarket (preferrably RS) grip panels onto it. A long time ago I remember reading that there was some distinction between the MEU-style grips, government 1911 grips, and so on. But I haven't been able to Google-fu any real help on this. Part of it I think is that I don't know what the RS terminology is because looking for "MEU grips" seems to be an airsoft thing only. Real steel doesn't call them "MEU."

For instance I'd assume something like this might work:

http://store.kimberamerica.com/rosewood-double-diamond-slim-grips-full-length

But this might not:

https://www.eaglegrips.com/colt-1911-grips/105-1911-kirinite-black-pearl-pistol-grips.html

I really can't say for sure and without seeing them in person I have no idea of the scale, either. It seems to me a "1911 government" grip would be too wide for the MEU-style. Can anyone shed some light on this? Am I cursed to run only cheesy airsoft brand grips!?

EDIT: Replaced the second link as it was not the one I meant to use.

AFAIK for TM pattern 1911, rs grips all all compatible except for ones which might have co2 compatibility, such as KJWs, while it still technically "work", you may find that after you've screwed them on, you'd get about 0.5-1mm gap at the base between the grip and the magwell. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, guys. For posterity it should be worth pointing out that there's an important distinction between ambidextrous-cut grips and non-ambi grips. In theory you can mod any grip panels to fit even if they're not ambi but it'll save you some headache to get the right ones the first time.

Dropped some Hogue grips onto my TM Night Warrior and they fit almost perfectly right away with no modding. Supposedly some real steel grips don't even fit all real steel 1911s but fitment in this scenario was a complete non-issue!

Grainy cell photo showing the results:

14159706_999477503484747_100205897_n.jpg

Archived