Warhammer 40k Imperial Commissar's Loadout- Bolt Pistol build!

demoncase

So....I'm building a Warhammer 40k Imperial Commissar loadout because...reasons....QUESTIONING THE COMMISSAR IS HERESY!...Ahem.

Aaaaanyways. A good Commissar needs nothing more than a smart peaked cap, a heap of gold braid and- most importantly the Imperial Bolt Pistol.

Anyone familar with the tabletop game, novels or PC games will know that the Bolt Pistol is seriously large and intimidating sidearm- a weapon designed to remind all that cowardice and disobedience will be rewarded with instant, summary, justice....Commissars typically make a 2000ad Judge seem warm and fluffy. :D

I'm basing the overall loadout on the early arc of Gaunt's Ghosts....Though I'm anything but guant in profile ;)

Start point: an Chinasoft plastic bodied M4

Why an M4? 2 Key factors (availability and construction)- The front end comes off in one piece as does the stock- that makes conversion easy. Unlike the G36 (another possibility) or G3SAS (another choice) the HOP unit is inside the body, meaning however I decide to build the new body I won't have worry about how to keep it functional.

Plastic bodied for the reason of lightness. I want something I can reasonably use one handed.

So: Hacked the outer barrel and inner barrel down to about 5" (No shorter than the many G&P Tank CQB models). Cut off all the sticking out bits, as we're going for slab-sided. Pull out the cocking handle to save weight.

1_zpsgmxomzqr.jpg

38mm PVC wastepipe becomes the fake bolt-pistol barrel- the real barrel becomes a fake 'gas tube'

To increase the 'chunkiness' factor, I'm adding another length of tube on the top using miliput straight to the top rail. It's also a place to hide a battery. This gives me a solid core to bolt the 'skin' around....This is where the big profile of the bolt pistol pays off.

Added a trigger shoe and funky trigger guard to mask the classic 'M4' profile a little. Cableties are a temporary measure while building.

2_zpslh9dcpwu.jpg

So- Lots going on here.

Body has been fabricated from 5mm matt black acrylic sheet- as with the PVC barrel- my aim is something I can actually LIFT and use all day.

Guts have been sprayed satin silver so that when the 'skin' is bolted on, there's a pretty contrast between the two.3_zpsxya8f6uw.jpg

Mocking up stage- waiting for the paint to harden off then glueing in place. Also note I've added a 5mm eye bolt to the rear- this keeps the gearbox supported (no stock bolt) and gives me a locating point for a single point sling. 

The skull lanyard is a temporary measure.

Means I can hang it on my gear without the faff of having to greate a holster.....Plus a good Commissar keeps his tool of office ready to dispense justice at all times, so no holster for me.

4_zpsnleeudxm.jpg

Getting there. Glued in place the side shields- had to create Miliput spacers to keep everything in square.

Grip wrapped in neoprene- this hides the M4 origins a little more. 

Weighs about as much as a good target pistol. Manageable with one hand even with a Nimh in place

5_zpsifv95rda.jpg

Hand cut Aquila stencil from standard paper- gold paint sponged on as I'm aiming for the 'mass produced' issue arm look. 

Adding a fake cocking handle and tidying up begins

6_zpsswlvhejp.jpg

Finishing stage 2

I'm thinking the Bolt pistol is open bolt to aid cooling. Hence cocking handle is back- need to add a little more here to make it look like part of the mechanism

7_zpsr7ngp4gi.jpg

Here's a friendly public service announcement from me- your newly appointed regimental Commissar....I have become my own meme. :D

14_zpsyiwi4fsk.jpg

More finishing and tidying to do-

Port side. Some work to do here and at the front....Purity seal needed and a little brass name plate (on it's way :))

8_zpsqrd4chx3.jpg

Purity seal/ parking ticket Wip- This produced using the magic of Milliput White and a strong cup of tea for aging the paper.

9_zpsyti1ru9c.jpg

The weirdos in the Mechanicus have purified my tool using magical Purity Seal (Volvo Sunburst Red, aged with black boot polish)

(FYI- that'd be NIN Head Like A Hole chorus in Latin in my own fair hand- 

"Head like a hole/Black as your soul/I'd rather die than give you control/ Bow down before the one you serve- you're going to get what you deserve"). 

Converted a pouch and belt buckle for duty too....just need a chainsword now. (watch this space, heretics)

11_zpsqiyi9xx7.jpg

More finishing- ally perforated plate finishes the spaces without adding weight. And looks badass.

Rubber bungs added to the battery tube.

12_zpshwojsilj.jpg

Chainsword has arrived.....for the glory of the Golden Throne!

13_zpsbywdyhnd.jpg

.....Next up- loadout photos and (hopefully if my hangover allows) combat use.

Awesome!

I had a bolt pistol many years ago made from an AK, the shape is much better suited to a bolter. Also mine was a lot smaller than yours, are you a space marine :P?

No, but I'm not some limp-wristed Eldar either- so only a mansized Bolt Pistol is good enough for this loyal servant of the God-Emperor ;)

Nice work, though I would have gone with an AK base personally!

I especially like the barrel hiding in the gas tube. Nice one!

Thanks.....I did look at the AK as a base but a couple of things mitigated against it....

1. It's heavier and longer in the receiver than the M4

2. Working the 'side shields' and keeping the functionality of the Ak's selector switch looked like a chore to me with the tools I had to hand.....

3. There wasn't a cheap enough second hand AK on the forums at the time ;)

4. The magazine size of the AK looks too long with the standard and doesn't drop free with a button push (useful for a one handed weapon when changing mags)

5. I have a mountain of M4 and M16 mags. I have precisely zip AK mags :)

Likewise, I looked at the G36c (it's got a fairly high slab-sided profile anyway) and the G3 SAS (practically a bolt pistol shape already) but for my 'solution' to making something look like a Bolter the M4 seemed easiest....Your mileage may vary and so on. ;)

Thanks.....I did look at the AK as a base but a couple of things mitigated against it....

1. It's heavier and longer in the receiver than the M4

2. Working the 'side shields' and keeping the functionality of the Ak's selector switch looked like a chore to me with the tools I had to hand.....

3. There wasn't a cheap enough second hand AK on the forums at the time ;)

4. The magazine size of the AK looks too long with the standard and doesn't drop free with a button push (useful for a one handed weapon when changing mags)

5. I have a mountain of M4 and M16 mags. I have precisely zip AK mags :)

Likewise, I looked at the G36c (it's got a fairly high slab-sided profile anyway) and the G3 SAS (practically a bolt pistol shape already) but for my 'solution' to making something look like a Bolter the M4 seemed easiest....Your mileage may vary and so on. ;)

1 Good

2 use a much smaller selector to replace the big arm (although I really like the arm) On mine I kept the original ak selector

3 Money is always the deciding factor :P

4 no it isn't and yes they do.

5 money is always the deciding factor :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived