[PROJECT] P90 AEG Metal Receiver Adapter for WE P90 TR GBB

rusTORK

PROJECT

Every project have got simple idea and my project isn't exception. All who waited WE P90 GBB was disapointed when WE released their toy. Main disapointment, for sure, was plastic receiver. For 5 years of development they didn't anything better than this. Some people deal with it, but not me. Right after i got my WE P90 TR GBB i am started to look for solution of this problem. It must be easy solution. Modeling and manufacturing entire new metal receiver for WE P90 TR GBB wasn't an option. It will be too long and too expensive for one man. In this case it will be scavenger way. When i did my research i am founded on photos that most of the P90 AEG receivers inside are copy of Tokyo Marui P90 AEG receiver. So, basicly they are all the same and should be compatible.

P90 AEG Metal Receiver
When i am started my project, i am focused first on metal receivers of AEG P90 in the market. Main questions was:

1.) Which manufacturers actually making P90 AEG receivers made of metal?
2.) Can they sell one to me? Nobody want to spent a lot of money on dead project.

28802433013_2b47c34991_o.jpg
At the end of research i founded that King Arms P90 AEG have got metal receiver (modern version) and they can sell me one as a spare part with no problems. Actually, i may get not only metal receiver, but also side rails, flash hider and all needed screws. The only exception was - front sight of top rail - they have got it out of stock and i don't want top rail without it. But it was great anyway, since i have got MOST parts made of metal, painted in black and have no markings! It's possible to build from this parts both versions - Standard and Tactical (later).

Here is King Arms P90 AEG diagram of receiver parts:

28802432233_6520d50c69_o.png

ADAPTER
28802432873_8acd335d4c_o.jpg
I can't remember for sure how exactly i got this idea, but it was really simple solution. Front part of both AEG and GBB P90 Receivers are the same, only one diffirence is rear part (AEG connection and GBB Connection). So, need just extend P90 AEG Metal Receiver useing another part, which will be exact copy of end part WE P90 TR GBB receiver with some additional shape. That way no need to create complete receiver.

PROTOTYPE
28802432883_2879a1f8f5_o.jpg

(Original plastic WE P90 TR GBB Receiver at left, P90 AEG Metal Receiver with Adapter at right)
I was surprised, that prototype of my adapter actually working! It's not fixed on receiver by screw yet, but it's working. Idea come true!

MOD & DIY
28802432723_fab85be608_o.jpg

(Completely assembled P90 Metal Receiver with MadBull MC-10-80 Ring Sights)
Most hard part is here. My adapter isn't direct-drop-in part. Your have to get all parts your need and modify them by yourself. It's very easy to do something wrong, so your must have got some experience and skill. Nobody is responsible for your fails, me included.

Modification will affect:

28802432633_ff779b0cc2_o.jpg

1. WE P90 TR GBB part #9. Your have to make diameter of it's tip smaller. It must easy fit in front hole on P90 AEG Metal Receiver. DO NOT enlarge hole in P90 Metal Receiver!

28802432583_503479103b_o.jpg

(Original part at left, modified at right)
2. WE P90 TR GBB part #76 & 78. Your have to cut small tooth inside both charging handles. P90 AEG Metal Receiver have got shorter rails, so they will stuck at the middle.

28802432383_e36300a568_z.jpg28802432643_a7bedcbee1_z.jpg
3. P90 AEG Metal Receiver. Your have to cut part from end to hole for button. This is where P90 AEG Metal Receiver Adapter will be connected.

4. P90 Metal Receiver (OPTIONAL). Your may drill holes (and make thread) on sides of P90 Metal Receiver and fix P90 AEG Metal Receiver Adapter useing screw. It will help avoid wobles. Adapter have got pre-drilled and threaded holes.

28802433163_b39fe75ce9_o.jpg

That's it. After all this steps your simply assembling gun and testing it.

DEMO VIDEO

Not sure i will make it, but i may think about it. Depends of what do your want to see?

PRICE

Price is depend on batch size:

Batch of 5 parts - ~$140 (shipping excluded)
Batch of 10 parts - $125 (shipping excluded)

Impartant thing, this price only for adapter, but it will be already painted in black.

Another way:

I may sell just drawnings and each person may create it from anything he like (paper, plastic, wood, steel, gold, whatever), but this way i have to find 10-20 persons to cover my spends on drawning and prototype. I think this way price will be about $20 for each person (if i will find 10 persons). Exception apply only for manufacturers (price will be very high).

Q&A

What is it?
It is a part which allow your to use P90 AEG metal receiver on your WE P90 TR GBB.

How it is work?
The adapter is connecting to AEG metal receiver and your simply drop-in all P90 TR GBB parts in it.

Is adapter direct drop-in part?
Unfortunately no, AEG metal receiver need to be modified. Your have to cut slot for AEG Hop-Up. Only after this will be possible to install adapter. Also, need to modify WE charging handles (cut rails on them inside) and modify front lock pin.

Which brands of metal receiver your adapter compatible with?
Adapter tested with metal receiver made by King Arms. I can't guarantee compatibility with other brands, but i think it may be possible since most of them are copy of Tokyo Marui.

Where i can get P90 AEG metal receiver?
First your should decide which parts your need. How your P90 GBB will look at the end? Do your need top rail, side rails, flash hider? After your complete, your have to contact with King Arms and give them list of parts your need. King Arms will check availability and calculate shipping for your.

Can i buy pre-assembled P90 GBB Metal Receiver from your?
It is possible, but waiting period will be huge. Also in this case will be double shipping (from King Arms in Taiwan to me in Russia and from me in Russia to your). It's more convenient to get all parts directly from King Arms and me and later assemble them by yourself.

Is King Arms P90 AEG metal receiver have got markings?
Unfortunately no, King Arms selling spare parts without markings.

hmmm I wonder if I 3D printed one would hold up!

It must work. I selected aluminum for adapter material, because receiver made of aluminum too. And yeah, extra weight. :)

Depending of plastic it's just be a bit more flexible. Nothing critical.

Excellent work, very clever indeed.

Thanks!

This is fantastic and seriously clever - well done!

Thanks!

Did you get the receiver through King Arms directly?

Yep, all owners of KA P90 AEG somehow must repair their toy. KA is best way to do it. I just skip this step. :) I don't have KA P90 AEG and i didn't broke anything... so, parts please. :)

Good news it could be 3D printed!

I have got 2D CAD drawnind (in *.dwg file) of Adapter, so yeah after proper conversion it may become 3D. =)

Looking at how you have designed it, you could possibly make an adapter to make the upper still work with the AEG lower as well.

Yes, it is possible. Just another adapter.

How much did the KA upper cost anyway?

It's depend of your needs. For exemple, i needed next parts:

1. Receiver itself - AG-76-22 - $40

2. Side Rails - AG-76-25 - $8 (each, so $16)

3. Screws for side rail - SCR-HE-1M5X10 - $1 (each, so $4)

4. Flash Hider - AG-76-24 - $6

5. Screw to fix Flash Hider - SCR-HE-0M3X3 - $0.25 (but i don't recommend to spent money on it, it's included to flash hider and i am used another screw anyway).

I am also planned to install MadBull Ring Sight MC-10-80, so i am ordered screws for it too.

6. Screw for Optic - SCR-HE-1M5X12 - $1

7. Screw for Optic - SCR-HE-1M5X14 - $1

SO, in total for me it's cost $68.25 (without shipping). KA also included PayPal fee equal 4% (4.33).

wow, spare parts tuned out to be way cheaper than I expected :D

Real problem with spare parts is only one - they should be "in stock" at King Arms warehouse. =)

It's the only reason why i didn't show your both Standard AND Tactical versions of FN P90 GBB. King Arms have got out of stock AG-76-61. So i didn't bought AG-76-47 too. They also told me that it will be out of stock till... this september (i have to wait about a year!)!!!

So, before your start your small project - shoot an e-mail to KA about parts they have. =)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Update:

I am founded new company which may help with production of small batch of adapters.

Batch size: 30 pieces

Expected price: $~100 (one adapter)

Adapter will be probably made of two parts instead of one. It's also good base for later adapter for returning back to AEG. One P90 receiver - two roles: AEG and GBB.

So, price is good, but need to find 30 people ready to jump in this business.

Let me know what do your think about it.

• 2 months later...

Hey Tork, what's the logic behind not being able to make the hole bigger on the AEG receiver but making Part #9 smaller?

Oh, it's simple:

1. Hole on receiver is perfectly centered by King Arms Factory;

2. Your simply can't make it bigger not touching upper main part of receiver;

3. If your fail when enlarge hole - new receiver cost more then part #9.

So... yeah, make part #9 smaller - is simple, reasonable and cost effective solution. On my opinion. ;)

Yeah it's just something I prefer doing when making mod parts, minimize alteration to the original as much as possible so that it would still be compatible with the original parts (and whatever future 3rd party products that are released) 

I think I will make another Part #9 instead :) Should be pretty simple as it just comes off when you split the body. 

+1 Keen on adaptor.

I agree with Bloface, I would rather minimise the number of parts being modified and minimise alterations to the original part so its more modular.  I would enlarge hole on the KA receiver, as it is the only part being modified, rather than the attachment bit.  Though in saying that I do have a mill so I can do this quite easily.

I have another solution which is a bit more risky, is to chop the original receiver attachment bit, and "stitch" it onto the KA receiver with the help of a rectangular aluminium block that is screwed onto both the KA receiver and the WE attachment point.  But right now I am not desperate enough for a P90 RDS yet.  Just enjoying my newly acquired (2nd hand) P90 atm.

I would enlarge hole on the KA receiver, as it is the only part being modified, rather than the attachment bit.  Though in saying that I do have a mill so I can do this quite easily.

My solution was based on switch from plastic to metal receiver without returning back. BUT, other users may choose their way, especially if they have skills and hardwere (like a mil). =)

Also, i thinking that second modded part #9 is decent solution. When your sold your "original used WE P90 GBB" your have got Metal receiver and... what to do with it? Sell to someone... and he also have got problem with installing (what to modify: receiver, hole? Buy another part #9). Instead of all that problem - your may sell Metal receiver already with modded part #9 + adapter. It will be almost direct-drop-in solution. That way 2nd user will keep his original part #9. =)

Archived