Best portrayals of modern military firefights/engagements/ambushes e.t.c. in film/TV/real life?

hitmanNo2

I was wondering what films, TV and real life videos the people of Arnies deemed accurate to modern military practices/training.

I know we have a lot of ex/current forces so hopefully should come up with some good stuff.

Sure there are loads of vids of Afghan but often you don't see the full picture of what's going regarding team placement e.t.c

I know stuff like Heat is highly regarded for it's tactics, same with Way of the Gun to some extent but I'm really looking for military stuff. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest the biggest issue is that real military engaements and tactics don't make for really engaging action sequences as they are either over too quickly if they are highly trained pros or drag out in the likes of WW2 cover to cover fighting. All in all I would say that if you are after info on the likes of squad tactics and placement / manouvers then military camera footage and the likes might be a better shout.

I would say that even Sicario feels a little Hollywood, about the closest you would get to a good example but aside from that can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

'FireKnife'

I will check out Restrepo.  Thanks.

Obviously I know I'm not going to get a play by play guide on how to conduct an assault or whatever.  I'm just looking for stuff that is either well researched and executed or decent real world videos like you get on LiveLeak e.t.c

For TV series see Generation kill

Movies like American Sniper and Lone Survivor have had proper advisors for battle scenes placement but are more SF based etc also to make sure the production does not go all Hollywood like films like Black Hawk Down that succeeded in the look but let down the what as far as the story goes.

A good no miltary film that shows how tactics of small units work even though their training was very different is 13 hours as the advisors were the team that were involved in the original action so are a boon to accuracy and were made up of US army Rangers, Marines and navy SEALS.

Curlyboy

District 9, yeah.  I might have to re watch that.

Been a long time since I watched Generation Kill.  I'll have to give that a re watch.

American Sniper and Lone survivor watched those fairly recently.  Probably some good scenes there.

I have to say, I really enjoyed 13 Hours. It seemed pretty legit.

Strike Back series. Not afraid to show slightly more detailed pew pew. Like shooting someone at a tight angle through 2 door openings and a window, which is a mess of a camera shot unless the viewer is "used" to pew pew.

But not all that interesting otherwise.

Been a while since I've see that.  I seem to recall they all rock standard M4A1s, no attachments.  Seemed really odd.

Just thought of Tears of the Sun.  That seemed pretty realistic despite the Aimpoint fail.

Archived