Best portrayals of modern military firefights/engagements/ambushes e.t.c. in film/TV/real life?

hitmanNo2

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either Discovery or Nat Geo was showing promo's for another kind of inside SF show but I can't find the trailers now.

One to check out would be "Combat Rescue". Most of it was on YouTube last time I looked.

Hurt Locker was panned pretty hard for being unrealistic. It's good looking but under the skin it's all fake.

• 6 months later...

The initial escape and evasion scene at the beginning of Bravo Two Zero was pretty decent. From what I remember I think Andy McNab was heavily involved in it's choreography, just as he was for the bank shootout in Heat.

Also, the assault scene at the end of Who Dares Wins is always worth a watch. Not sure how accurate it is, especially the part where the two troopers hang from the bottom of a Scout helicopter and are flown right across the front lawn. I think they'd be a bit of an easy target, but it looks awesome.

I would agree with most of the films mentioned previously, I love the village assault in Proof Of Life and 13 Hours is fantastic. I know the question was about modern tactics, but there are plenty on good examples of squad assault tactics and firefights in Band Of Brothers. Apparently the assault on the guns at Brecourt Manor is still taught at West Point as a classic example of a small squad assault against a superior force.

Some solid picks.  I do love Dog Soldiers.  Lost count of how many times I've watched that.

I will re watch The Kingdom.  I seem to recall that apartment complex bit staring with a decent vehicle attack and escape on a motorway.

Green Zone is a mad film, as it is 'based on a book' but is absolutely nothing like it (the book would not have been an action film...). 

I would say the main action sequences in Proof of Life, Heat and 13 Hours are pretty realistic to my layman eyes.

I heard that the Recon Marines involved with Generation Kill said that it was about 70%+ accurate; but I think that was describing the whole series, including dialogue, gear etc. I would say Generation Kill is one of the finest pieces of work committed to screen. But then, would you expect any less from the people behind The Wire?

There's a russians in afgan film that's really brutally horrible, filmed in Israel called 'the beast' i think sst around a single tank crew and that's pretty well done, the tactics of not only the small soviet group but also the muj, with hit and fun and ambushes in known and trained for points

It's not a cheerful film however very very dark and goes into allot of the really nasty stuff from that war.

Strangely there is allot of anime with very good small unit gunplay. Upotte for example the rescue if the kidnapped teacher from the eastern bloc school is very good as are the end of year tests.

Gunslinger cats is meant to be good as are allot of the Ghost In the Shell series.

Not that modern, but the Siege of Jadotville is excellent.

Otherwise off the top of my head there's:

Over There (such a shame it only had one series)

Sand Castle

Kajaki: The True Story (On BBC 2 this Sunday at 10pm)

Lone Survivor

Archived