Dominator International 870 Shell Ejection shotgun, new system?

blobface

New shell ejecting 870 from a Taiwanese company, a new system that's likely a modification / improvement of the Tanaka / PPS.

Claims to have steel receiver, a very realistic looking barrel lock system unlike APS / Tanaka. 

aaa.jpg

Takes 3 - 4 bbs per shell depending on type currently, seems a little low, but reloading process seems far more simple. 

14184325-1056428621131041-71794976289942

New shell ejecting 870 from a Taiwanese PRC company, a new system that's likely a modification / improvement of the Tanaka / PPS.

Local rumor says this brand has very, very similar background with echo & lima, which also has readily available products/designs/tooling, add/remove some features and viola, new market!

.........hence the "good" feature about the receiver construction.

Strange. I saw a post on Facebook like one-two weeks ago that was supposedly of APS's new shell design and their rear/primer end of the shell looked exactly like that too. I think they showed it with an open front though because supposedly their shells will still take 12BB loads. Maybe someone got the info mixed up or it's a "collaboration" or something maybe.

Strange. I saw a post on Facebook like one-two weeks ago that was supposedly of APS's new shell design and their rear/primer end of the shell looked exactly like that too. I think they showed it with an open front though because supposedly their shells will still take 12BB loads. Maybe someone got the info mixed up or it's a "collaboration" or something maybe.

I would say that Dominator shell's rear end looks more like Madbull/PPS/DYTAC than APS, while APS' design uses wider concave/convex shaped striking faces on firing pin/primer, with very thin "neck" on firing pin "forbidding" any "evil" mods.

BTW, APS says that so-called new design will be catering TW market only, to prevent incident earlier from happening again.

Meh, PPS system with different receiver, it's like an awkward halfway between the TM m870 and the APS system, best/worst of both worlds.

Agreed.

Don't get me wrong - the more choice the better. Perhaps this will be the new standard for the 3Gun lot in Hong Kong? Who knows. If you want shell ejecting you can get the APS which can shoot 12 bb's at a time which is 1) more like a shotgun 2) just more fun! 

It's funny because I don't want an APS at all but I could definitely see myself buying one of these. The maths is pretty simple. To get an APS I'd need:

• A CAM870. For like-for-like we'll compare guns with plastic furniture - the Police Magnum is $360.
  • Some shells. These are $33 for four, but because they take forever to reload I can't see myself reloading them on-site. That means I have to bring a day's play worth of shells to each game. Even 50 shells would be right on the edge of a severe ammunition shortage, but that's already $396 - more than I paid for the gun!
  • Some reloading equipment. I won't count the propellant or BBs, because all gas shotguns need those - but the APS also needs wadding and paper, which is $12 for 100.

So, the gun, shells and consumables for 500rds would be a cool $816 - and that's before the host of pricey upgrades that are strongly recommended by NonEx. Compare that to the Dominator, where I would need:

1. A DM870. These are supposed to be $380 retail.
  2. Some shells. I would like to use PPS Purples, which are very highly regarded and hold 6rds each. Although these are much more expensive than the APS' (at $65 for five they're $13.00 each, versus APS' $8.25 per shell) the fact that they can be reloaded very quickly means I can reload them in between rounds, so I only need 20 for a total outlay of $260.

No consumables are required, so the gun and shells would be $640. Still very expensive but markedly cheaper than the APS and arguably a lot more practical for skirmishing. Obviously the big winner is still TM's M870, where you would need:

1. An M870. There are $290.
  2. Some shells. 10 shells would be all that's necessary given their 5 shot capacity (in 6-shot mode) and very rapid reloading process. Even the wildly overpriced TM shells ($18 for two) only make that $88 - with CYMA shells it would be a quarter of that.

The TM's still top of the pile for skirmishability and cost even if it does need some upgrades out of the box. I'd honestly prefer if they'd released a steel clone of the TM for the same price - the mechanism is clearly superior to shells for skirmishing - but this is still a useful alternative to the very demanding APS.

I am a pretty mweh person. I'm Swedish, indifferent and slightly depressed. Not much gets to me.

But the most fun I have ever had, probably ever (might not say much I suppose), was playing indoor CQB airsoft with my shorty APS CAM870 :D

I was, excited, even!

So if you are looking for pure fun, enjoyment and grin-on-face action, I can't recommend anything except the APS CAM870 system! If you can go about it without the shell catcher on, well then that might just be more fun than anyone can handle :o (FYI, no I have not played with any single shot, tri-shot or multishot version shotgun other than APS CAM870, because why would I when I can use the APS system :D )

Also PureSilver I am a bit at a loss as to what upgrades you mean that I have recommended? :o

Sure, some things on my APS has broken, from my own fault, but out of the box I don't think much needs to be replaced or upgraded. Unless I have said so elsewhere and forgot. Let me know what you mean :D

I'm more interested in the barrel-less version, otherwise with only 3 bbs you might as well go with TM. Need to know I can do shell type change even though I know no one will let you use any form of "slug" rounds... still.. I wanna know I "can" do it..

cttwh_.gif

Nothing stops you from using the PPS / Tanaka / DI version where you use 3 or 4 or 6 bbs (depending on shells) for "buckshots" round with a diff colour shell that you put one heavy weight bb to simulate more accurate long range slugshot... of course... 

But... APS just wins my heart due to how accurate it tries to be, despite loading process being quite timely in comparison. 

It's funny because I don't want an APS at all but I could definitely see myself buying one of these. The maths is pretty simple. To get an APS I'd need:

• A CAM870. For like-for-like we'll compare guns with plastic furniture - the Police Magnum is $360.
  • Some shells. These are $33 for four, but because they take forever to reload I can't see myself reloading them on-site. That means I have to bring a day's play worth of shells to each game. Even 50 shells would be right on the edge of a severe ammunition shortage, but that's already $396 - more than I paid for the gun!
  • Some reloading equipment. I won't count the propellant or BBs, because all gas shotguns need those - but the APS also needs wadding and paper, which is $12 for 100.
So, the gun, shells and consumables for 500rds would be a cool $816 - and that's before the host of pricey upgrades that are strongly recommended by NonEx. Compare that to the Dominator, where I would need:

• A DM870. These are supposed to be $380 retail.
  • Some shells. I would like to use PPS Purples, which are very highly regarded and hold 6rds each. Although these are much more expensive than the APS' (at $65 for five they're $13.00 each, versus APS' $8.25 per shell) the fact that they can be reloaded very quickly means I can reload them in between rounds, so I only need 20 for a total outlay of $260.
No consumables are required, so the gun and shells would be $640. Still very expensive but markedly cheaper than the APS and arguably a lot more practical for skirmishing. Obviously the big winner is still TM's M870, where you would need:

• An M870. There are $290.
  • Some shells. 10 shells would be all that's necessary given their 5 shot capacity (in 6-shot mode) and very rapid reloading process. Even the wildly overpriced TM shells ($18 for two) only make that $88 - with CYMA shells it would be a quarter of that.
The TM's still top of the pile for skirmishability and cost even if it does need some upgrades out of the box. I'd honestly prefer if they'd released a steel clone of the TM for the same price - the mechanism is clearly superior to shells for skirmishing - but this is still a useful alternative to the very demanding APS.

This is why I never got into shotguns. Everytime I wanted to put money down for one, I realized it cost more in the long run than any other alternative. But even for just a toy gun, I would rather put all the money in a AR variant GBBR then a shotgun. Not that I have money for that, either lol.

Still I say, the more shotguns, the better. If my job didn't try and *fruitcage* me out of my paycheck any chance they they have, I would pick one up.

I am a pretty mweh person. I'm Swedish, indifferent and slightly depressed. Not much gets to me

Lol. We have that in common. America needs to learn that indifference and minor depression is rather healthy way to deal with life. I can't deal with a constant plastic smile that some people have.

Agreed.

Don't get me wrong - the more choice the better. Perhaps this will be the new standard for the 3Gun lot in Hong Kong? Who knows. If you want shell ejecting you can get the APS which can shoot 12 bb's at a time which is 1) more like a shotgun 2) just more fun! 

I'm more interested in the barrel-less version, otherwise with only 3 bbs you might as well go with TM. Need to know I can do shell type change even though I know no one will let you use any form of "slug" rounds... still.. I wanna know I "can" do it..

Nothing stops you from using the PPS / Tanaka / DI version where you use 3 or 4 or 6 bbs (depending on shells) for "buckshots" round with a diff colour shell that you put one heavy weight bb to simulate more accurate long range slugshot... of course... 

But... APS just wins my heart due to how accurate it tries to be, despite loading process being quite timely in comparison. 

As a PPS owner and 3-gunner I feel optimistic about this system, if I can use my shells on a more "authentic" and stronger (material-wise) platform I'm in.

In fact I do adjust my shot spread to some degree, by loading different BB weights into one shell, resulting slightly wider spread vertically, that -bore inner barrel and fixed hop nub did do their job.

There's even a bag-o-chaos BBs that I load into general-use shells, BBs inside weight 0.2~0.4g, from different brands/manufacturers, I'm considering adding TM 0.12 just for the sh*ts and giggles. :P

Didn't do any on-the-fly shell changes since there's no rule for "slugs" in airsoft 3G, but I believe single BB from 6 rounders would be an evil being, even for targets.

CAM870 doesn't need upgrades, you may just have to replace a few parts down the line which aren't that expensive anyway. Shells are stupidly expensive and awkward, but loading in the field isn't out of the question at all, I just wouldn't use it as a sole primary. You can make your own wads and paper, the APS stuff is extortion. 

Plus you can convert your charger to take HPA, choose your PSI for (semi-legal) fun :) Plus being able to shoot whatever I want out of the thing, closest I'll ever get to a real gun. If I care about skirmish ability I'd get the TM, hell my old DE spring tri-shot is still working after years of use.

You can make your own wads and paper, the APS stuff is extortion.

I'm surprised more people don't seem to do this. I followed RenegadeCow's lead and made my own out of thick paper and hole punches. I can make a few hundred shot cups and shot cards over the course of an episode of TV and that'll last plenty of games. Then, I can customize and tailor the performance of each load. By unscrewing the hulls from the shells, I was able to load from the rear, allowing me to fit 17 BBs between an overshot and undershot card. By filling with liquid CO2, even without a shot cup that spray was doing around 330fps and with a comparable spread to a 40mm moscart. That is absolutely brutal for CQB, and it can hit people 100ft away easily and take out multiple people in one shot.

The PPS is definitely a lot more convenient to load, but the performance is lackluster in comparison, you still have to deal with shells, and the shells are actually more expensive. Personally, I find that kind of lame. I'm glad to see shotguns becoming popular for airsoft, but I think the PPS/Tanaka designs do represent kind of the worst of both worlds as another poster put it, and I'd like to see more innovation beyond that system. If I'm gonna sit here loading shells, and gather shells after the game, I want them to do a lot more than the TM tri/six-shots.

Also PureSilver I am a bit at a loss as to what upgrades you mean that I have recommended? :o

Every time I read the APS thread, it seems to me that more bits of yours have broken and you've had to buy replacements/spares! That's what I meant; if this gun doesn't need that kind of upkeep that's a big bonus for me.

As a PPS owner and 3-gunner I feel optimistic about this system, if I can use my shells on a more "authentic" and stronger (material-wise) platform I'm in.

This is pretty much where I stand. This is a full-steel gun that costs less than $400 - that's pretty much unprecedented with the exception of the Stark Arms Premium Glocks, which are about 1/5th the size. The APS is very cool but I don't see it being a primary weapon, at least not for me - I'm too trigger-happy and too poor to afford the 50+ shells I would need to run the gun effectively, and I'm not sure that I want to spend 3-4x as long loading the gun as I do shooting it.

If there was a way to get the PPS shells down to the same sort of price as the APS ones (~$8 per shell) I'd be all over this.

In that case no, it doesn't require things out of the box. 

Mine broke by me manhandling it and doing stupid things and I got some parts because I wanted to.

Sure, you can, and probably eventually will end up with this or that part for whatever reason, but there is nothing wrong with it right out of the box.

Archived