Painting Fake Wood- A Simple Method

CatgutViolin

This is a quick tutorial on how to paint plastic grips to look like wood. A lot of tutorials on the Internet use a variety of browns and black, and have you go through a long process of drybrushing and mixing paints to approximate grain. This is a total pain, and the results I find are often unconvincing despite the amount of effort required. I have a quick and easy method using just one wood color plus a secret ingredient- Vallejo Model Color Smoke, a gritty, oily pigment used by hobby modelers to simulate the texture of leather and rust. Smoke's unique physical characteristics make it great for simulating the 'grit' and patterns of wood grips. You'll need a bottle of Smoke, a light brown, tan or yellow paint for the basecoat, your grips, a brush, and a matte varnish of choice (not pictured):

cd2QPaT.jpg

First, basecoat your grips. I have two sets of WE Luger grips I'm painting, so one is getting US Field Drab and the other is getting German Camo Pale Brown. This may take several coats- lightly sanding may help the paint adhere. If you use spray paint you can have this done in one coat, otherwise be patient and don't build it up so thick that you obscure the checkering.

DVTqLnV.jpg

Now, take the Smoke, mix it 1:1 with water, and apply a generous coat to each grip. When each grip is fully coated, use the brush to blot off excess, and then use the brush to apply whatever 'woodgrain' you'd like. Drag the brush in streaks to make grain, or dab at the grips to get a mottled look, like I did above. Note that the grips have been reversed relative to the previous image, so the Field Drab one is on the left and the Pale Brown on the right.

rtNSGBl.jpg

Now, if you like the appearance as it is, you can be done and skip to varnishing, but I felt that the pattern was a little too strong and mottled for my tastes, so I mixed up more Smoke (this time 1:2 Smoke/water) and applied an even coat. This thinned coat darkens the grips a little more and helps to even out the coloration to tie it together. If you wanted very dark grips, do another 1:1 mix, and dab at it to mottle if you like.

H4Kw5TL.jpg

Now that you're happy with the pattern, apply matte varnish. I use a couple of layers to ensure maximum protection for the grips, but be aware that too many coats will take on a satin sheen. Note that I went and reversed the grips again (oops), so we're back to Pale Brown on the left and Field Drab on the right. Also note that the colors are fairly similar now, due to the darkening effect of Smoke. I suggest using a very light cream or tan if you want a more birch-like tone, and apply more layers of Smoke if you want something like dark oak or walnut.

Mxnpsii.jpg

Here's the final result, applied to a pair of WE Lugers. The grips that started as Pale Brown are on the left, and the ones that started as Field Drab are on the right.

lVd5nZH.jpg

They're resistant to wear and chipping and up-close have the same grainy, speckled look as real wood. Overall, this is a cheap, foolproof method to dramatically improve the appearance of plastic airsoft and model gun grips.

Just bought  a new KJW 1911a1 that is unfortunately cut for CO2 bulbs and cannot use any of the sets of period style wood grips I have without modifying which just was not going to happen. Getting wood grips that are actually made for the pistol was going to be difficult.

This is perfect for me and I should have considered it sooner as I am a long time model maker. Thanks so much for describing the process and will be giving it a try very soon.

By the way, those grips you did look terrific. 

I used a similar technique on a £1 derringer found on a market stall. Your effort is far more than mine, and the effect is much better so well done :D.

Edit:

Also, from a modellers perspective, I try to use faux instead of fake. Same banana but gives it that extra touch of class.

RC, you will be classy fauxever

• 2 weeks later...

Archived