How are white markings on guns made?

chas

Serious question.

I have had some engravings done on various guns (mainly M14s and 1911s) but now I have acquired a Dboys KAC PDW and would like to get markings on it.

I went to an engraving shop today, and they explained to me laser engraving removes a thin coat of paint and is very precise. But I dont think that's how white markings are made. They look more like they "simply printed" the letter, logos, etc.on the finishing of the gun.

I thought knowing what this process is and how it's called would make it easier for me to find a shop that does this locally.

Thanks!

R.S. Just to be sure, here's what I mean: http://www.popularairsoft.com/files/images/DB-AEG-8002WM-AG-2.jpg

Not so sure about the method used on particular model, but if you see a white marking it probably is:

• Some sort of blackened/color'd (paint, dye, anodize, etc) metal (pot or better aluminum alloy, etc.), laser'd so the outermost layer is vaporized, showing "white" inner bare metal.
  • Engraving, usually CNC milled using a pointed engraving bit or a tiny end mill, punched or rolled, or you can engrave by hand, even laser the same spot repetitively, then fill the markings with paint, some people use crayon or wax.
  • Silkscreen, or less probably dry/water transfer decals.

If they're raised or level with the surface and a clean white my bets would be on trasfer pad printed, the ones on the placcy ICS M4 I have look to have been done like that, it's a much faster and cheaper method for batch/mass production than laser engraving but probably not practical for a one off.

If they're raised or level with the surface and a clean white my bets would be on trasfer pad printed, the ones on the placcy ICS M4 I have look to have been done like that, it's a much faster and cheaper method for batch/mass production than laser engraving but probably not practical for a one off.

That's what I think, too. It seems like laser etching would take material off.

Now where would they do some of that trasfer pad printing?

EDIT: Alright, so I found out tampography is the technique used to print everyday objects such as company pens, lighters, etc. and there a re a lot of local shops who do this. The problem is that the ones I have called so far do not do single pieces, too expensive.

Archived