Learning a new language

shmook

So,

As above really! I think with work it would be beneficial for me to pick up a second language, and due to the area I'm thinking Polish.

I'm asking if anyone has any experience with online learning, or would classes or 1 on 1 be better?

I'm not looking for degree level stuff, conversational and reading it would suffice really. I'm completely out of the education loop, and the last time I studied a language was 20+ years ago.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Duolingo works well, but it does have some gaps. Rosetta Stone is definitely the way to go if you're looking to learn a new language. If you're concerned at which you should learn, you should probably learn one that will benefit you. It seems to me that in Europe you can't go wrong with Russian or German.

Duolingo, because it's free, pretty damn good and it has a phone app for iphones and android which is also free.

Then, when you're feeling up to it, you can find if there is a local language group around you, you'd be surprised how many people organise groups to go and have a coffee and practice real face to face talking in a different language.

Yeah.  I just started using Duolingo.  It's really handy with it being on your phone.  Waiting around whilst out somewhere, just have a go.  Kills time and you're learning a new language.  Or in my case, failing miserably at learning a new language heh.

Make good use of the 'Strengthen' feature - the little barbell symbol. It makes you a little refresher excercise of some of the stuff you've already done and have issues with so you can review things and keep them fresh.

I thought I would try Spanish.  Not very useful but it sounds really fun when hear it spoken in Narcos. I did consider something like Cantonese/Mandarin but I think we're getting to the point with technology soon where real time machine translation is possible and knowing another language is more of a convenience rather than a necessity.  Job specific of course. I should probably learn French/German/Polish as I'm more likely to use it than Spanish.  But then I can't pretend I'm Pablo Escobar very easily heh.

Aye, she has the luxury of being a young free spirit who lives with her mum and few commitments barring work which have cleared her for her travels.

Wish I could do something like that. Probably Polish for me though as I want to soak it in more and my step mum's dad was a member of the Warsaw uprising.

Archived