The automotive question thread

Lone_Bullet

Curiously, the range has maxed out at around 60 miles less than it does with Shell petrol.  And no, I haven't driven 60 miles since the fill up.  I'm intrigued as to what actual mileage I get from this tank but I think I'll avoid supermarket fuel in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I figured someone had to make the OEM ones and it makes sense for it to be the best quality third party, i.e. Bosch.  Some people say they are the same, some people say Bosch are fractionally lesser quality.  Some people say Bosch are trash and get binned and straight back to OEM which are a million times better.  So annoying how opinions can vary so much on something that should be cut and dried.

Worth the premium for OEM windscreen wipers or just go with Bosch?

Don't pay for genuine wipers.

Get either Bosch or Valeo. Chances are they are the OEM anyway.

Both are Bosh :)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Valeo also make a lot of wipers as OE suppliers.

Get halfrauds ones!

Don't get halfrauds ones. You should be able to pick up decent Bosch wipers for about a tenner each from Euros, maybe slightly more it they're silly 'aero' (one peice construction) ones.

Wipers and bulbs are pretty much the only car parts (excluding some things like clutches, brake friction parts etc) where I'd advise against getting genuine. It's just not worth it.

Conversely, don't skimp on filters. That Mann/hummel one might be literally a quarter of the price of the genuine oil filter but do you really want to run the risk? Find a trade outlet for the brand in question and get from there (TPS for VW group cars, vauxhall trade club, etc etc). Pick either Quantum (castrol but branded for VW) or Castrol or Petronas or Shell oil.

Osram for bulbs. NEVER RING!

Ring are alright for generic vehicle electronics like relays and universal towbar wiring and stuff but their bulbs are made from things that go pop all the time. 

Tyres are a whole minefield we'll not get into, but essentially, goodyear and michellin are good, bridgestone tend to be slightly better (in my experience) and uniroyals are amazing in the wet but do wear quicker. Exceptions apply when in a high(er) performance car or rear wheel drive, etc etc. For a daily snotter Kumho are my 'go to' brand in terms of price vs quality.

Saying that, I've just had to replace a tyre on my commuter Ibiza and due to time/budget constraints I've got a lassa on it, and it's not half bad so far (had to have the other one changed a month or so back when cambelt was done.)

Winter tyres are a different kettle of fish altogether. 

saying that, it proper winter conditions a 'bad' winter tyre will out perform a 'good' summer tyre all day long. 

Saying that, 'bad' winter tyres will beat 4wd on summer tyres in proper winter conditions, as well. 

Indeed.  My car's summer tyres on snow are dire.  Might as well not even get out of bed.  On winters, it's a machine.  Beats the out of 4x4s that think they can get around on snow with summers just because they have 4wd.

I ran my pickup on road tyres all year round. Pulled cars out in snow, did mild offroad stuff, it never bothered it.

I only got it stuck once, and that was my fault.

I don't profess to be a good driver, but I understand physics, and that is the downfall of a lot of people who get stuck or *fruitcage* up whilst driving :)

Yup, like the guy I walked past on my way to work in the snow a couple of years ago.

Snow chains on the front wheels of a BMW, backs spinning.

Got out, looked a the fronts, put some more grin in front of the front wheels, got back in, tried again.

Could have seen the rears spinning if he had cleared his mirrors (or looked in them).

Looked really off when I explained it to him too.

I know ^^

They quite saved my life in Germany, I recon. Imagine going 170 ( it was allowed). Then I saw signs for 130, 110, 80, 50 and 30 in perhaps 2 kilometres. This highway ends at hairpins curling up a steep hill.

Surprised me like nothing did. About the same weatherconditions as today. Wet. Not raining. Cold, not freezing.

Had to brake and manoeuvre between 2 trucks, effectively giving them no space to brake anymore ( i can still imagive them cursing that friggin Belgian). My tires held on, we didn't die and my ex was shocked enough to just keep quiet for a few hours.

After that I learned my lesson..

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Returning back to supermarket/Shell petrol discussion.

First time filling up with Shell after my first ever supermarket fuel fill up and the instant the ignition goes on, the trip computer shows max range of 399.  No weird staggered range increases as I drove like the supermarket fuel.  So that's curious.

It also gave me an actual range of 294 miles to the tank. Consuming 53 litres giving me an MPG of 25.22.

According to the factory specs, it should be 28.8 mpg urban, 51.4 mpg extra urban and 39.8 mpg average.

So how will Shell do on this tank I wonder.

My wife has a 1l triple in a Skoda Citigo.

It got us to Scotland on a single 30 litre fill last xmas.

450 to 500 miles.

My 350hp BAM engined MK1 Octavia could do the same on 50l with the wife driving and 170 miles with me driving.

My YB engined 2wd Sapphire Cosworth did 300 miles on 65 litres once (in 3 hours).

The S2000 (ITBs 2.3l bore in Darton liners with stroker crank and all new valve train) went through a 20l jerry can in a single 20 minute track session.

I've had 550 miles out of my 45L tank in my ibiza (1.9 tdi 130). regularly get 450 in 'normal' driving.

I've also had 320 out of it after a particularly spirited drive down to norfolk and back.

Best I've had out of my corrado was 400 (54L tank).

worst was somewhere betwixt 200 and 300. although that did include some fast roads and a trip around a certain green hell...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived