The automotive question thread

Lone_Bullet

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back when I had Cassy running on vegetable oil, in the winter I'd mix it with Shell VP, or if I couldn't get to Costco, I'd fill up with VPower, she loved the stuff compared with any other fuel brand. Even Dex, my 2.1TD with the horrible Lucas (un)Epic electronic fuel pump would only drive well on VP.

Now with Monty, a 2.0L 150bhp Laguna II I've mainly been driving on Tesco fuel for the Clubcard points, and his display recons 32mpg (although there's the possibility that's USCS rather than Imperial, so it could be 38mpg which still isn't great) and Cassy used to average that with me driving her hard around Milton Keynes.

I've got a feeling the EGR is blocked/sticking open so I'm going to blank it off. Having the car fart up it's own nose isn't a good thing anyway. Might be time to spend the extra and switch back to Shell for a while.

Oh and as for tyres, Michelin Crossclimate are great, they're a winter rated summer tyre basically, with loads of grip.

Bloody hell, its xaccers!

The shell near me has just opened up again after refurbishment, second full up there this morning on the way to work so ill give it a few more shell fill ups before I make any proper conclusions.

I also suspect the EGR on mine is a bit gummed up so ill give that a clean next week when I've got some time off work.

The shell near me has just opened up again after refurbishment, second full up there this morning on the way to work so ill give it a few more shell fill ups before I make any proper conclusions.

I also suspect the EGR on mine is a bit gummed up so ill give that a clean next week when I've got some time off work.

Long time no post eh? :)

See if there's a blanking kit for your car or if you're handy with metal work make a blanking plate yourself.

I'm going to revert back to Shell when I next fill up, see how much better I get.

You an oldie, Xacces? ^^

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm one of the old timers ;)

Started airsoft back at the end of 2004. Had been thinking about it, and then work had a xmas party with the theme of 1930's gangsters. So I had planned on getting a M1A1 for the party, then convert it to a M41a pulse rifle. Thankfully for my wallet Wolf Armouries were out of stock of both, so I came out with a MP5SD6, which eventually became the MP5 O'Doom at AG05 (where I served everyone pancakes).

Tried a P90, didn't get on with it, although it's awesomely quiet with the silencer so great for a compact sniper.

Ended up with a CA G36, got fed up with the stupid foregrip support on the barrel, and having to swap batteries at lunch (back in the olden days 800mAh was considered high capacity for a small battery) so I fixed the design flaw with the support, and switched to LiPol. At one point I was running 11.1v with a 6000bb custom auto winding box mag (may have been 9000bbs) complete with UV LEDs for tracer BBs. The short bursts of 1 to 2 minutes I used to do as a support gunner tended to shred pistons and make the pistol grip too hot to hold, so I reconfigured as a DMR.

Work then decided they needed me in London 5 days a week, which basically sapped all my energy so I stopped airsofting.

Then nearly a year ago an unappreciated member of staff left a school he was working at so they got me in to take over. One of the teachers had just started getting into airsoft so I've come back to it.

Tell me about it, this place used to be buzzing but I look through the forum sections and see last posts dated 2016 or earlier!

It was THE place to go for airsoft discussion, because unlike some other UK forums, the mods and regulars wouldn't bite your head off or even ban you if you asked a daft question.

Mr Muscle over cleaner is great! If the EGR is gummed up likely hood is the inlet will be mucky as well!

• 6 months later...

So, bit of a necro but I've done some super scientific testing.

Shell or BP fuel (only two 'name brand' petrol stations near me consistently give me an extra 40 miles per tank over supermarket fuel, mostly regardless of driving style.

The sticky vanes in my turbo has not affected me since I made the change. This may be coincindental, but I think probably not.

Electricity is all the same but it comes from somewhere.

Some electricity is made by burning coal, some hydro, some wind, some nuclear and so on.

Electric cares don't have zero emissions, they have zero local emissions.

Indeed, but while coal usually supplies only around 3% of the national grid, about 27% normally comes from gas. So about 70% of the electricity used to charge my car is from renewable or nuclear.

Unfortunately, for petrol and diesel, all the power used to refine the fuel (4.5-6kWh per gallon) comes from coal burning power stations, releasing the worst pollution, added to the local pollution they produce.

There was a report done back in 2013 that compared EV energy production pollution with internal combustion engine pollution (excluding pollution making the energy required to refine the fuel).

Back then, in the UK when we had more coal stations, an EV's pollution was the equivalent of an ICE that would be able to do 80mpg consistently.

In countries with mostly coal power stations such as India, the pollution is on a par with ICE vehicles, while in countries with more renewables and nuclear such as Canada and France, you'd need an ICE which could do a consistent 120mpg or higher to match the emissions from running an EV.

Again, none of this took into account the pollution produced by making petrol/diesel.

Oh. That. I'm aware.

I was thinking phase changing or harmonics.

In other news: I'm looking for an affordable AND well made hybrid or electric car for the future.

The city of Ghent, my hometown, will be banning Euro4 vehicles by 2025 and will start pay-for-entry by 2020.

Anyone has a good idea? My Other half would like to still make road trips, so I was thinking a good hybrid. But it all seems quite expensive.

I could go 1.2-1.4 petrol, but I despise the lack of torque/power in hilly terrain. I'd rather now loose speed when taking a highway uphill and get passed by by trucks/lorries.

I think the answer is petrol aided elektric car, like the BMW i3 with range extender?

What says you?

Anyone has a good idea? My Other half would like to still make road trips, so I was thinking a good hybrid. But it all seems quite expensive.

I could go 1.2-1.4 petrol, but I despise the lack of torque/power in hilly terrain. I'd rather now loose speed when taking a highway uphill and get passed by by trucks/lorries.

I think the answer is petrol aided elektric car, like the BMW i3 with range extender?

What says you?

The problem with the i3 REX is the genny is quite loud from what I've been told, and you get free "dog hair" in the headlining and carpets. It's not very big inside either, but reportedly handles well.

The new Leaf has a 40kWh battery with a range of 150-165 miles and later next year the 60kWh battery will be out with a range more like 250 miles and should be able to take advantage of the 150kW CHAdeMO chargers for even quicker charging on the go.

Current Leafs (which are now like hens teeth if you wanted a 67 plate one) come with the smaller 24kWh battery (range of about 80 miles), or 30kWh (range of about 115 miles with my heavy right foot but others driving normally can get 130 miles from it). There's plenty of second hand 24's out there for a decent price, and 30s should be coming on the 2nd hand market around March in higher numbers as the original 2 year PCP deals come to an end.

Then there's the Renault Zoe, which now comes with a 40kWh battery and a range of about 180 miles on a warm day. Again a bit small inside, and the heater isn't that good.

The Hyundai ioniq manages to squeeze about 120 miles out of a 24kWh battery.

Things to consider:

Don't buy a car with battery lease. This is doubly important to check for if buying 2nd hand

Age appears to be more of a factor in battery degredation, not mileage. You won't go to start the car one day and have it not start, over many years your range will slowly reduce

Get a car with a rapid charge point, the Leaf has it as standard with the CHAdeMO, I believe the BMW and Zoe have the DC combo (CCS) as an optional extra

Do you have off road parking for a home charger? If not, are there on street chargers you can use? Ghent has a lot of chargers according to www.plugshare.com

Do you regularly travel long distances to areas where there aren't charging facilities? If so, BEVs might not be for you so a PHEV or REX would be better

All the cars with rapid charging functionality can handle the long distances, the Leaf does it in comfort

For a PHEV, the Outlander gets good reviews.

Archived