The automotive question thread

Lone_Bullet

Hey, stop that!

-strokes his troubled A3 8P-

Also thanks for the info, I have the names saved and looking for unbiased reviews.
We still have a few years.

TBH, an electric Audi A1 or A3 Sportback would be ideal, but i'd be smarter to buy electric that's designed and build meant to be electric from the ground up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone here know how these new 1 Litre Petrol engines ( TFSI ) perform?

I have an older 1.9 TDI with 105 BHP ( Audi A3 P ) and I'm informing myself on petrol engines because I drive less than 10k miles a year with mostly less than a hour drives.

Now I see these little 1.0 TFSI engines have nearly 95BHP and 1.4 even goes to 150BHP!

However, how will this  result in acceleration and maintaining speed uphill?

I drove a 2013 1.0L  75 BHP TDI Berlingo, a 2014 1.0L unknown BHP TFSI Peugeot 208 and a 2015 1.0L unknown BHP TFSI Toyota Yaris and I noticed they're VERY loud and can't hold their speed going uphill.

It's uncomfortable driving 75km/h on a Portugese highway, lorries passing you because you're giving it all you've got and the car just goes slower and slower...

Specs of my current car: 103.5 bhp (105 PS/77 kW) of power at 4000 rpm, and maximum torque of 250 N·m (184 lb·ft/25.5 kgm) at 1900 rpm   0-100km/h: 11.4s

Specs of current A1: 95bhp/70KW at 5500 rpm, 160Nm at 3500 rpm, 0-100km/h: 11.1s 

Specs or current A3: 116bhp/85KW at 5500 rpm, 200Nm at 3500 rpm, 0-100km/h: 9.9s

Specs of current Q2: 116bhp/85KW at 5500 rpm, 200Nm at 3500 rpm, 0-100km/h: 10.1s

I can see my old car has more Torque even at a lower and thus quieter RPM, yet the newer engines are so much more economical and quieter in general use.

I ask tis because I like car travels and hilly terrain are a bit 'my thing'.

any thoughts? What would you do?

this is why its difficult to compare engines.

More HP = more power, but a lower powered engine with more torque will 'feel' faster, as it will probably accelerate faster, from a lower RPM.

For what it's worth, I have a 1.9 TDI 130 HP Seat ibiza, so almost the same as your A3, and my wife now has a 1.2 84bhp Peugeot 208. 

it's slower to get to speed, but I haven't felt in danger at any point in it. I'd prefer slightly more low down grunt, I'm used to peak power being at like, 2500RPM, and in petrols it's higher, say, 3000-4000RPM, which makes it feel like you're working the car harder to get to peak power.

Out of the three listed, I'd suggest the A3 with the 116bhp engine, that would feel similar to what you've got now - but have a look at the peugeot 208's, they're a genuinely nice driver, and the 1.6 165bhp engine sounds like a peach.

TFSI = Turbocharged Fuel Stratified Injection.

= Forced induction, fuel injected into cylinder directly just before ignition stroke. 

So pretty much just a normal injection car with a turbo.

I had a 1 litre turbo ford... B max? As a courtesy car for a week a while ago.

It went like stink for what it was, but was very revvy - you had to wind it up to get any fun and as a result it was thirsty.

However, it was as said a courtesy car, and I drove it harder than I would my own.

It was fun though :)

Edit for clarity/speelz

I'd quit messing about and buy a Nissan Leaf

107bhp

280Nm

0-30mph 3s

0-60mph 9.4s

1/4 mile 17.2s

Or splash out on the 2018 one:

148bhp

320Nm

Too expensive for the options you get.

Not very suited for car travel if you need to stop every 300 km. Good autonomy when driving in Belgium, but hilly terrain won't get you far. Looking for charging stations in foreign countries and adjusting my route for it is not something i look forward too. Charging at home in a normal plug takes hours, more than a night.

So electric isn't there yet for travel

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Too expensive for the options you get.

Not very suited for car travel if you need to stop every 300 km. Good autonomy when driving in Belgium, but hilly terrain won't get you far. Looking for charging stations in foreign countries and adjusting my route for it is not something i look forward too. Charging at home in a normal plug takes hours, more than a night.

So electric isn't there yet for travel

How expensive are they in Belgium? You can get one a few years old in the UK for under £8k

What brand incontenance nappies do you use? Don't you find peeing in your pants rather than stopping and using a toilet gives you nappy rash?

Name me a petrol/diesel car which automatically refuels itself when you go downhill?

Surely your domestic power supply can cope with a 7kW charger at home right?

€32.640 new without any options configured

I haven't looked at 2nd hand yet, simply because I can't work on it if I buy a faulty vehicle. Also, 2nd hand market in Belgium is horrible.

Cold, load and speed reduce your milage quite a bit, but I have LOADS more reserve with petrol AND I can carry a 5Litre petrol can in an emergency.

Charging station aren't that common yet, mostly 1 station, and is out of service once in a while.

I'm not taking that chance on a 1000km trip.

With petrol and diesel I can get up many hills in the first place.

At home I have 230v, 20A on a standard euro plug.

But my parking spot is 50m away. Which means leaving an unguarded, ip55,max 1200w extension cable to my car. Not doable.

I commute by bike and train and use the car for only long trips, or heavy hauls. I don't really understand why I'm defending 1Litre petrol engines. Leaf is fine for other people. I'm planning not to fly anymore and take the car / train to go on vacation.

Actually, with your aggressive marketing I'm starting to have a grudge against the Leaf. It works that way with me.

Whilst not helpful right now.  The other day I read about an EV concept that had multiple batteries.  One removable in a briefcase form factor so it could be unclipped and carried wherever there was a power outlet to charge.  Pretty cool.  Of course, for the average person to be able to carry it, it won't have massive amounts of capacity but interesting none the less.

€32.640 new without any options configured

I haven't looked at 2nd hand yet, simply because I can't work on it if I buy a faulty vehicle. Also, 2nd hand market in Belgium is horrible.

Cold, load and speed reduce your milage quite a bit, but I have LOADS more reserve with petrol AND I can carry a 5Litre petrol can in an emergency.

Charging station aren't that common yet, mostly 1 station, and is out of service once in a while.

I'm not taking that chance on a 1000km trip.

With petrol and diesel I can get up many hills in the first place.

At home I have 230v, 20A on a standard euro plug.

But my parking spot is 50m away. Which means leaving an unguarded, ip55,max 1200w extension cable to my car. Not doable.

I commute by bike and train and use the car for only long trips, or heavy hauls. I don't really understand why I'm defending 1Litre petrol engines. Leaf is fine for other people. I'm planning not to fly anymore and take the car / train to go on vacation.

Actually, with your aggressive marketing I'm starting to have a grudge against the Leaf. It works that way with me.

You said most of your journeys were less than 1 hour so approx 50-70 miles, you said you wanted a car with decent acceleration up hills. You complained about engine noise from some vehicles you've driven suggesting this is an issue for you.

You invited us to make suggestions.

I put forward a vehicle which beats the performance of the cars you suggested, that exceeds all the requirements of acceleration up hill, engine noise etc you stated. A vehicle with the lowest maintenance costs and the lowest running costs.

I'll also point out that there are plenty of rapid chargers in Belgium, and all the way across to Portugal. I'm sure in the past I've told you along with the masses of 7kW chargers there are 9

I'm sorry you felt that me trying to help was "being aggressive"

And lateron I asked in general how the perol motors did in comparison to my current diesel.

I might've explained wrongly, I don't commute with the car. Which means I don't to a lot of milage in general, but I do take the car for holidays. So lots of standing in all weather unused and then 1-2k miles in a week twice or trice a year.

I'm also dead tired, having a headache. Not that this is an excuse for my previous answer, so eh. Sorry, I went in the wrong. For now I'm more interested in small petrol engine, we'll see in 2 years time how it'll all have evolved.

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hellooooooooooooooo!

Car question!

The car: Yaris Mk 1

The situation: Whenever I'm in a full-lock turn, going left, I can hear a grinding/scraping sound on the right-front wheel. It's inconsistent, grinding during most of a full revolution but not completely. The best way I can describe the sound is to imagine dragging a big plastic tray across a concrete floor, if that makes sense. It only happens on a left turn, not right. I'm only really noticing it when parking, as that's when I need to turn fully.

The aggravating factors: Last Sunday I bombed it down an unmarked lane by accident on the way to a skirmish - Hit some puddles which were deceptively deep, a good 4 inches - So that's probably done it.

Any ideas? I've taken a look under the car, around the wheel etc and can't see any initial damage. However it's hard to investigate fully as I can't move it whilst listening etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/7/2018 at 8:40 PM, hitmanNo2 said:

Did you get to the bottom of your problem Alex?

Hi Hitman - My apologies, missed this post!

I did yeah - basically there was a small plastic skirt on the bottom, kind of like a small mud guard, which had one attach point come loose and it had twisted. So it was scraping against the wheel when I turned. Simply re-attached it :)

HOWEVER

I've now managed to rip the entire *fruitcage* off. i.e. the entire plastic housing around one wheel, hitting a pothole in a similar situation.

image.png.c7804a04797c250ba2b585268394a4a6.png

The view of each wheel - you can see how most of the housing has gone from the right wheel.

Can I replace this myself, do you think? What would I need to ask for when calling up ECP?

Back to the small engine chat, a friend has recently got a soda kodiaq with the 1.4 150bhp engine. 

It goes really well, surprisingly so actually, even when loaded with 7 people and some kit :)

Archived