Modifying VFC 416c to Accept WE Katana GB

MrKingTaco1776

I've been asked by a few friends a couple of forum members to explain how I modified my 416c to accept the katana gearbox. I am in no way an expert on upgrading or modifying AEGs, I just want to show the simplicity in this modification. I hope to convey the idea that upgrading/modifying your AEG isn't as difficult as it may seem. 

Let me start by saying that you should use eye protection when doing these mods as well as have a vice (or a trustworthy friend) to assist you in steadying the part which you will be working on. I apologize for not having any before pictures as I wasn't planning on making a thread showing what I did.

This is my VFC 416c which was modified to accept the WE Katana split gearbox

Optimized 20161101 130347 Min

I started by first grinding down two small tabs on either side of the lower gearbox. They are quite thin and only about 1.25cm long. Each side took me approximately 5 minutes to grind the tabs off.

RH Side Grind Min

LH Side Grind Min

Next, I modified the upper receiver. AEGs with normal gearboxes have upper receivers with tabs on them. These tabs slide into the lower receiver to secure the upper to the lower. Since the Katana gearbox provides the ability to quickly swap out cylinders, these tabs must come out. My advice is to place the upper in a vice to secure the upper and then use your dremel to cut these tabs. Follow the lines of the upper and you won't have any issues.

Upper Grind #2 Min

20161103 104615 Min

20161103 104539 Min

Finally, we come to the cylinder. The WE cylinders have two thin rails on either side, which much be grinded down. Again, use a vice and grind the rails.

RH Side Cylinder Grind Min

Make sure to only cut what is required. You don't want to make the mistake of cutting too deep and then having to replace the part.

I hope this was easy to understand. Please ask me any questions and I'll answer them to the best of my ability. Thank you for reading!!

Archived