What am best ACOG?

Horsem4n

So, I am looking for a nice ACOG under like $120 and I've only got one requirement that it has to meet but I guess we could also discuss what is the best quality for the price of airsoft ACOGs.

But first, the thing I like most in a magnified optic is something called occluded eye aiming. Basically using the scope as a red dot by aiming with both eyes open and closing the scope cover so you only see the reticule. Only I just ignore the zoomed image instead of blocking the scope. Only problem doing it that way, is if the optic isn't put together well enough, the image in the scope is slightly shifted and off zero, making it unintuitive using it with the afformentioned technique.

So I'm trying to find a good enough ACOG so I can aim this way.

Right now I'm looking at what's available on evike and eBay. eBay has a few 4x32 Chinese jobs with the working fiber optic and Evike has a couple 4x32 G&P options.

But, I also know there are more options available out of Hong Kong and I'd also be open to buying one from anyone here.

So if you guys could help me out, that'd be great and we can put together a comparison between all the available ACOGs out there.

You can check your scopes for intuitive occluded aim by keeping both eyes open and trying to find targets within 25 meters. If it's easy to swap targets, then the scope is well designed, if it's annoying and you feel you have to close your off eye to find targets, then that's what I'm looking to avoid.

But I'm sure most of you guys know what I'm talking about.

I've seen my share of clones and until I bought a real one, G&P was the best I had seen. I had two at one point if I remember right, higher priced than most replicas but the optics were solid and clear with pin sharp crosshairs. Adjustment on the G&P's worked well too, at the time I owned a WGC Custom G&P M16A2 with ACOG mounted on the carry handle and was able to get it zeroed perfectly for decent range accuracy. Although I have no idea how they cope with GBBRs.

Unfortunately I can't remember what it was like shooting it within closer quarters like a red dot with both eyes open, it's been 10 years since owning them.

Being a optic fetish myself, what I would say in tl;dr style is: stay away from cheap prismatic aiming device.

What OP asked for is very, very difficult to achieve even for high quality RS optics. With that said, the T brand uses it as a selling point for SOME of their magnified optics.

In fact shifted POI/POA is sort of acceptable when "brain-switched magnification" is used. By nature, the further the target is, the less POI/POA shift, i.e. in RS situation the shift in aiming is smaller than (or close enough to be ignored) the rifle/ammo grouping itself, which makes this "function" less useful in airsoft ranges, unless it is a very big target in a point-shoot range.

I know it's pretty rare in cheap optics. But I have run into a few cheap short dots that worked perfectly. I don't have much experience with cheap clone ACOGs and figured there must be one out there that's designed well enough.

I think the variance in quality between manufacturers, let alone between different manufacturers is key.. I've banged on about this before and admittedly I have sour grapes, but I have very little faith in cloned optics.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not ruling them out at all. But for me to buy one (and lets face it, clone ACOGs are usually pretty pricey anyway), I'd have to try it in person first, I suggest you do the same, especially considering your criteria which is more specific than usual.  For what it's worth the "word on the street" is that the G&P is the best. 

It's above your price range but the Primary Arms 3x scope apparently (according to a youtube comment) works well with both eyes open. 

Yeah, I'm putting buying an ACOG on the back burner. It's hard to find players with them so I'll look when I can.

I did end up buying a red dot one off eBay for $20 just so my rifle has the look I want, but if it works at all that's great.

I think what I'll do is just suck it up and save for a real one. I just got a pretty good new job so I can plan for that kind of thing now.

But i still want to hear from owners of 4x ACOG clones what they think of theirs.

I've got a 4x G&P ACOG that's served me faithfully for years. Like the real thing it has pretty poor eye-relief. I think the poor eye-relief combined with the fairly narrow field of view is going

to make firing with both eyes open pretty difficult on even a real ACOG.

Normally I would go for a short dot. Ncstar makes a real nice one. But, you see, I'm building a sellout carbine. I'm building an AR after years of avoiding building one for myself.

Very few configurations of ARs look good to me and what I'm going for right now is a slight mix between the MGS4 M4 and Will's rifles in I Am Legend. I picked up a broken EF 4CRL as the base and got some wolverine parts to make it pew.

Even though I've been an active member here for years, I actually havnt been to a proper game since 2008. Didn't play with my last AK that was nicely built because I worked on the weekends. I've got free weekends at my new job so I should take advantage of that.

• 3 weeks later...

The point is not having to swap to a 2nd non magnified optic, swap zoom levels, use secondary iron sights, or flip down a magnifier when you engage close range targets. You can have your magnified optic for scouting or taking accurate shots without carrying any extra gear.

Archived