WHY cant i get on the site?

Think this might be the downtime thing Arnie has mentioned elsewhere. Basically, there's some kind of problem with the leprechauns who carry the information across the World Wide Web. They get drunk, or something, so nothing works for a while.

Edit: for a better explanation, try here.

Edited by Sledge

The short story is that the hosting company were running on cisco systems (or a derivative) and decided to upgrade to Foundry. All their tests went well before the upgrade on their test segment, but when they implemented the upgrade across the board it went wonky.

All went well for a brief period, then for reason as yet unknown they suffered a huge meltdown in services. Routers started crashing, systems rebooted mysteriously, interfaces reset, as a result packets were getting lost everywhere and it all went pairshaped pretty darned quick.

I really can't explain it all as customers we're fed a sanitised version of events (as you'd expect). They've been working on the problem this month but as of yet there's still problems.

The server is all lovely and happy in it's corner it's just that the hosts managed to replace all the routers and core networking systems on their side of things with a pile of crud.

For anyone non technical it really boils down to three points:

1. It's not my fault

2. the electrical leprechauns are drunk (again not my fault)

3. It's not my fault

Whilst technically that's only two points, I felt that the 1st was so important that it needed restating. :)

My genuine hope is that they sort the problems out finally this week to get their systems back to 99.95% uptime as it should be. Technically speaking we shouldn't ever have more than 20mins downtime a months, this month however has been somewhat different. Here's hoping that they fix all the issues soon.

The short story is that the hosting company were running on cisco systems (or a derivative) and decided to upgrade to Foundry. All their tests went well before the upgrade on their test segment, but when they implemented the upgrade across the board it went wonky.

All went well for a brief period, then for reason as yet unknown they suffered a huge meltdown in services. Routers started crashing, systems rebooted mysteriously, interfaces reset, as a result packets were getting lost everywhere and it all went pairshaped pretty darned quick.

I really can't explain it all as customers we're fed a sanitised version of events (as you'd expect). They've been working on the problem this month but as of yet there's still problems.

The server is all lovely and happy in it's corner it's just that the hosts managed to replace all the routers and core networking systems on their side of things with a pile of crud.

For anyone non technical it really boils down to three points:

1. It's not my fault

2. the electrical leprechauns are drunk (again not my fault)

3. It's not my fault

Whilst technically that's only two points, I felt that the 1st was so important that it needed restating. :)

My genuine hope is that they sort the problems out finally this week to get their systems back to 99.95% uptime as it should be. Technically speaking we shouldn't ever have more than 20mins downtime a months, this month however has been somewhat different. Here's hoping that they fix all the issues soon.

Wait did they only update their router's IOS or did they get new hardware? Cause Cisco routers only really like the Cicso IOS. Wow two years of networking might have finally payed off.

IOS its extremely expensive here. If you need any additional features as a firewall or more protocols, its more money to pay. Besides some of these IOS packages require hardware upgrades. Sometimes just to go from one release to another more flash or memory its needed, and as releases are phased out, they stop to be supported by Cisco, leaving no other choice than to upgrade or move to another OS.