Sturm

The WE AK series has a major *fruitcage* design issue with the inner selector lever. The grub screw that holds the inner selector lever to the fire selector has become stripped, or so it appears. No amount of force will take it out. The threads are intact. The head (which is hex), is seemingly fine as well. Maybe a little 'hollowed,' from rigourous unscrew attempts. How can I remove it? I'm all out of extra inner selector levers and running low on more grub screws (the only way to remove the stripped part that I've done was to 'snap' the inner selector lever in two, and pull the second half through the fire selector insert 'hole.' I want to avoid this. How can I just try to extract the stripped grub screw (it is a grub screw, so it is quite small) without breaking anything?

Oh yeah, and I tried the 'rubber band' method. It didn't help in any perceivable way. I guess I could ask my creepy serial killer neighbour for some help...he has lots of tools. I wonder what for?

Carefully drill it out with a 2mm bit or use a screw extractor. Replacing it with a better M3 grub usually does the trick and if you do a proper steel FCG install there's really no reason to have to remove that part again.

The grub screws are extremely small. Could a screw extractor do anything? Can they remove tiny screws like that?

Honestly, I haven't tried extractors myself but they do come in M3 sizes and while looking around found some Allens with flanged heads also for removing hex screws with rounded heads. If you want extremely small, try removing the selector retaining screw on a KWA G18C.

Is this M3 size the size of the grub screw? I don't have a KWA G18C, so that would not be of any use. I do have a steel Stark Arms G17 though, if there are any similarities between the two.

just go to the hardware store and buy some M3x3 grub screws. Screw measurements are listed in the manual. So as we say in IT...RTFM

I have spare grub screws. The problem is getting the bugger out. The size is in the manual? Well, I do not read or speak Mandarin, so it is useless to me.

I bought this set on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E9SPCH0/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fingers crossed. Hope it works. Can someone give me a run down in the mean time of how it is utilised? Is it easy to *fruitcage* up and permanently screw up the screw thread? It includes an M3 extractor as the smallest size in the kit.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived