Real AK Furniture on WE AK PMC

Sturm

My older two magazines are also probably from that new 'batch,' but do not appear to be affected. Either way, whatever. It is a single magazine. Maybe one day I'll open it up and take a look at it.

The W&S kit comes with a rear trunnion screw. I've known this for months, but never got around to figure why it is included. The WE AK PMC rear trunnion has no hole to mount a screw in, nor the space for one to be drilled. Do you know why it is included nevertheless? My real Soviet AKM furniture shipped today. It has all the typical Soviet characteristics, and I believe is made by Izhmash. The 'iodine orange' finish is intact; and to my knowledge, the set is NOS and thus in untouched condition. The seller also included the appropriate stock and rear trunnion screws.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you mean no hole on the rear trunnion? You mean besides this hole?

pmc.jpg

Yes, that hole in the prong is present (thank god), but part #11 appears to be absent. At least looking at PMC #1. I haven't taken the 'tacticool' furniture off of PMC #2 yet so I do not know if that part would be present. I guess I could have accidentally removed it when I took off the original M4 stock and stock tube. Odd. Part #11 would serve as an additional hole inside the receiver to secure a screw, correct?

Edit: Damnit, I almost got my hopes up. I believe #11 is the folding stock trunnion for the AKS74UN. *suitcase*. Well, W&S includes a second screw for something. Where could it possibly be mounted?

• 4 weeks later...

Anyway, so...update time.

That guy from Russia basically scammed me. He sent me the wrong order (*fruitcage*ed up AK74 furniture set) and has been nearly impossible to communicate with since. He offered two weeks ago to send the correct set if I mailed the incorrect one he sent to some random person in Oklahoma, despite never providing me with the shipping address (seemed really sketchy, let alone the fact that I know he was trying to stall me before I opened a PayPal dispute).

Long story short, I opened a claim with PayPal, and they sort of took his side (as usual with sellers), even though his account was literally brand new. I'll get my money back...on the conditions that I return the set back to Russia with my own money. Suffice to say, I am not thrilled, especially since I gave this guy a chance and he completely blew it. I do not think he meant to send me the wrong set, but he did nothing to fix his mistake besides pretty much lying straight to my face. I don't think there is any way he could be banned from Red Alliance. I do not think there are admins that monitor the transactions subforum. It is too bad...

On the sort of brighter side, I bought an AKM set from Ukraine through Gunbroker. I think this was an option I should have taken initially.

I also want to know a bit of information about LCT AKM parts. Obviously, I know that a lot of parts are somewhat compatible with the WE AK series. Furniture aside (which I am not concerned with anymore), what external parts can be swapped onto the WE PMC? I am thinking about getting an LCT AKM rear sight leaf, front sight block, lower handguard retainer, and gas tube 'chamber' piece. Are they quick installation jobs, or do they require extensive work to function?

As a side note, how can I remove the ugly, potmetal PMC side rail. I believe it is held in by rivets. Has anyone had any success in getting it off? Not a huge deal whatsoever, but it is something I'd figure taking a look at.

Anyway, so...update time.

That guy from Russia basically scammed me. He sent me the wrong order (*fruitcage*ed up AK74 furniture set) and has been nearly impossible to communicate with since. He offered two weeks ago to send the correct set if I mailed the incorrect one he sent to some random person in Oklahoma, despite never providing me with the shipping address (seemed really sketchy, let alone the fact that I know he was trying to stall me before I opened a PayPal dispute).

Long story short, I opened a claim with PayPal, and they sort of took his side (as usual with sellers), even though his account was literally brand new. I'll get my money back...on the conditions that I return the set back to Russia with my own money. Suffice to say, I am not thrilled, especially since I gave this guy a chance and he completely blew it. I do not think he meant to send me the wrong set, but he did nothing to fix his mistake besides pretty much lying straight to my face. I don't think there is any way he could be banned from Red Alliance. I do not think there are admins that monitor the transactions subforum. It is too bad...

On the sort of brighter side, I bought an AKM set from Ukraine through Gunbroker. I think this was an option I should have taken initially.

I also want to know a bit of information about LCT AKM parts. Obviously, I know that a lot of parts are somewhat compatible with the WE AK series. Furniture aside (which I am not concerned with anymore), what external parts can be swapped onto the WE PMC? I am thinking about getting an LCT AKM rear sight leaf, front sight block, lower handguard retainer, and gas tube 'chamber' piece. Are they quick installation jobs, or do they require extensive work to function?

As a side note, how can I remove the ugly, potmetal PMC side rail. I believe it is held in by rivets. Has anyone had any success in getting it off? Not a huge deal whatsoever, but it is something I'd figure taking a look at.

Bad luck on the Russian guy. Unfortunately Russian sellers can be a massive PITA to deal with if things go wrong.

1) LCT parts that will go on with no mods:

- Foregrips (top and bottom)

- Receiver top covers

- Barrel devices (in 14mm-)

- Cleaning rods

If you want to fit the LCT front end parts (front sights, gas tubes, trunnions etc) then you'll need to do some significant work to the outer barrel which is best done with a lathe and a mill. You can, if you're a masochist, do it with a set of hand files and a steady hand, but it will take aaaaaaaages and be a massive cluster*fruitcage* arseache. Trust me, I've done it myself.

As for the side rail, it's just riveted on. You can remove it by carefully drilling out the rivets.

Bad luck on the Russian guy. Unfortunately Russian sellers can be a massive PITA to deal with if things go wrong.

1) LCT parts that will go on with no mods:

- Foregrips (top and bottom)

- Receiver top covers

- Barrel devices (in 14mm-)

- Cleaning rods

If you want to fit the LCT front end parts (front sights, gas tubes, trunnions etc) then you'll need to do some significant work to the outer barrel which is best done with a lathe and a mill. You can, if you're a masochist, do it with a set of hand files and a steady hand, but it will take aaaaaaaages and be a massive cluster*fruitcage* arseache. Trust me, I've done it myself.

As for the side rail, it's just riveted on. You can remove it by carefully drilling out the rivets.

Is there any particular reason for that? Do they just like ripping people off, or they just don't care as long as they have their money?

About LCT parts, I am mostly concerned about the rear sight leaf, front sight block, lower retainer, gas chamber.

I do not expect them to be a drop-in fit. But, I also don't think they'll be that difficult either (but who knows). Will the outer barrel pieces (front sight block), lower retainer, gas chamber just slide on the WE outer barrel? I would not want to touch the outer barrel. Widening the stuff from the inside is an option though.

I would think though that the front sight leaf would be a near drop-in. Is it not?

The barrel trunnion is kind of an interesting thought. It would have to be cut apart pretty bad to get working though, right?

About top covers, I have actually heard from a few sources that the LCT ones are 3mm or so longer than real steel / WE ones, and will not fit at all.

Side rail can be removed, those rivets are not THAT strong.

As for LCT parts, rear leaf should be a drop-in, while the others that attaches to the barrel might require some filing or filling to accommodate for the correct diameters.

Does it look like *suitcase* afterwards? There would be a bunch of holes where the rivets once were.

Anyway, yeah, that is what I assumed. Probably would need some filing, preferably on the inside.

Besides that, I've realised that whilst real grips are easy to fit, they tend to have problems with rigidity. Because of this, I have been thinking about simply coating the default WE pistol grip with reddish-brown duracoat (which I believe works well with plastics) followed by a laquer or something similar to make it reflective like AKM bakelite grips.

Is there any particular reason for that? Do they just like ripping people off, or they just don't care as long as they have their money?

About LCT parts, I am mostly concerned about the rear sight leaf, front sight block, lower retainer, gas chamber.

I do not expect them to be a drop-in fit. But, I also don't think they'll be that difficult either (but who knows). Will the outer barrel pieces (front sight block), lower retainer, gas chamber just slide on the WE outer barrel? I would not want to touch the outer barrel. Widening the stuff from the inside is an option though.

I would think though that the front sight leaf would be a near drop-in. Is it not?

The barrel trunnion is kind of an interesting thought. It would have to be cut apart pretty bad to get working though, right?

About top covers, I have actually heard from a few sources that the LCT ones are 3mm or so longer than real steel / WE ones, and will not fit at all.

Russian police are.... not so reliable when it comes to stopping online fraud. If you have a country where people can quite easily get away with bending or breaking the law, then you'll end up with a lot of people bending or breaking the law.

The LCT parts are steel. The WE AK outer barrel is Aluminium. One is much, much, much harder than the other. It will be orders of magnitude easier to chuck the barrel into a lathe and machine it down to fit the LCT parts than it will be to modify the LCT parts to fit the barrel.

As for the 'it should be easy', let's break down the process here: You propose that you can just file down the insides of the gas block/front sight etc to fit over the WE barrel.

1) You'd need a lot of time. LCT parts are all steel, and fairly hard steel at that.

2) You'd need to make the widened parts wider in a perfectly concentric manner, which will be near impossible with hand tools. If you don't, you will have wonky alignment with the barrel which will look like *suitcase* and probably cause problems with your gas tube, muzzle break and cleaning rod. This will cause your gun to stop feeding or cycling properly.

3) You'll also need to cut notches to fit the cross pins to hold the LCT parts in place. You'll need to do this perfectly perpendicular to the barrel axis and exactly parallel to the horizontal axis of the barrel or again, your parts will all be wonky and again, your gun will stop feeding or cycling properly.

4) You'll need to cut the threads off the barrel as the LCT front sight base has the threads built into it. You will need to cut the barrel squarely or you will have wonky alignment etc etc etc etc

5) You will need to do all of this with your current skillset, which is all of *fruitcage* all. You don't know how to use a ruler. (This is not hyperbole, read this thread here)

I'd give the outer barrel to a machine shop with the LCT parts and let them sort it for you.

As for the rear sight base, no, you don't need to cut it apart, you just need to slim down the barrel so it can fit over it.

Regarding the top cover:

IMG_8637_zpsb96e506b.jpg

Three of my WE GBB AKs. The top two have LCT front ends (front sights, gas blocks, handguard retainers and rear sight bases). The top one has an LCT AEG AK105 receiver cover.

Trust me, the AEG spec receiver cover will fit.

As for the pistol grip, real steel ones will fit, but as you mentioned, will not be as solid without some modification. Painting the existing one to look like bakelite could definitely be an option. Here's a guide on fake bakelite: https://deathbeforecccp.wordpress.com/2014/03/23/ak-fakelites-turning-ordinary-plastic-mags-into-bakelite-looking-ones/

You will need to do all of this with your current skillset, which is all of *fruitcage* all. You don't know how to use a ruler. (This is not hyperbole, read this thread here)

Seriously?

Why does nearly everyone in this bloody 'community' so damn condescending? You all think you are so 'high and mighty' with your 'badass' 360° Dremel-dual wielding abilities.

Look, friend. I remember that thread (no *suitcase*), and I remember that post you made. Yes, you said I cannot use a ruler correctly. I remember the *fruitcage* hour, minute, and second of the day you posted that. No need to 'wave' it in my face.

I may not have much in the way of 'engineering' or 'mechanical' abilities, but at least I am a modest person. I do not feel the need to insult and put other people down to feel better about myself. Can you say the same?

I do not know anything about you, nor do you me. However, I have become acquintenced with your words, and I can read them like a novel.

One of the 'skills' I have (shocking, I know), is that I am great at studying people and analysing things. I may know nothing of you lest your typed words, but even with that, I can put together a 'portrait' of you.

What does this 'portrait' tell me? It tells me of your sheer overconfidence, arrogance, and unwillingness to tolerate newcomers into this hobby. You degrade people so you may compensate for the presence of an imbalance held within yourself. Your behaviour as known to me on here are typical bully tactics. You wish to capitalise on my weaknesses by emphasising your strengths.

Shame on you...

Seriously?

Why does nearly everyone in this bloody 'community' so damn condescending? You all think you are so 'high and mighty' with your 'badass' 360° Dremel-dual wielding abilities.

Look, friend. I remember that thread (no *suitcase*), and I remember that post you made. Yes, you said I cannot use a ruler correctly. I remember the *fruitcage* hour, minute, and second of the day you posted that. No need to 'wave' it in my face.

I may not have much in the way of 'engineering' or 'mechanical' abilities, but at least I am a modest person. I do not feel the need to insult and put other people down to feel better about myself. Can you say the same?

I do not know anything about you, nor do you me. However, I have become acquintenced with your words, and I can read them like a novel.

One of the 'skills' I have (shocking, I know), is that I am great at studying people and analysing things. I may know nothing of you lest your typed words, but even with that, I can put together a 'portrait' of you.

What does this 'portrait' tell me? It tells me of your sheer overconfidence, arrogance, and unwillingness to tolerate newcomers into this hobby. You degrade people so you may compensate for the presence of an imbalance held within yourself. Your behaviour as known to me on here are typical bully tactics. You wish to capitalise on my weaknesses by emphasising your strengths.

Shame on you...

Actually, no. I am not insulting you because it makes me feel superior. I have tried, in every thread you have posted, to give you advice based on the questions you ask.

Here's the problem:

You ask for advice.

People give you advice.

You ignore that advice and do something else, then ask for help.

People give you more advice.

You ignore that advice.

People get frustrated and annoyed that you are ignoring the advice which would solve your problems after asking for it.

You then accuse people of acting superior and bullying you.

People give up on helping you.

I am trying to help you here, by giving you a detailed breakdown of what you need to do to get where you want to go, but I am being realistic, and that involves working with the apparent skills and tools you might have. Otherwise I could tell you to cold-hammer forge a new outer barrel which is real steel spec so you could fit real AK parts to it, which would be theoretically possible but not acheivable with what you have right now, skill or tool wise.

You literally, actually could not use a ruler to determine the size of a screw you had in your hand, then go to a hardware store to get a longer screw of the same size.

You didn't know what a caliper was, and when we explained what it was and how it was used, you didn't understand why you might need one when the problem you were trying to solve involved measuring the dimensions of a part accurately.

We're not 'all being so damn condescending'. If that's the default assumption you make whenever anyone else knows more about a subject than you do, then I'd say you might want to read up on the psychological concepts of 'inferiority complex' and 'projection'.

Oh, of course.

But, you just had to add in the fact that I cannot use a ruler, and have '*fruitcage*ed' mechanical abilities, and the like. Is that necessary?

Why do you insist that you wish to 'help' me, but throw insults at me in the same sentence?

You have treated me like *suitcase* the moment I joined this site. Trust me, I remember.

You are also putting words in my mouth. Please quote me when I said that I didn't know what a caliper was. I never said any such thing.

Sigh. 

But, you just had to add in the fact that I cannot use a ruler, and have '*fruitcage*ed' mechanical abilities, and the like. Is that necessary?

Read:

I am trying to help you here, by giving you a detailed breakdown of what you need to do to get where you want to go, but I am being realistic, and that involves working with the apparent skills and tools you might have. Otherwise I could tell you to cold-hammer forge a new outer barrel which is real steel spec so you could fit real AK parts to it, which would be theoretically possible but not acheivable with what you have right now, skill or tool wise.

When you are saying "I can totally do this complicated task which requires a minimum level of skill way above my abilities, right?", then get pissy when people say "Well, no, because you don't really have the skillset or tools to do so", then yes, it is necessary to point out again, that you do not have the required skillset or tools.

Why do you insist that you wish to 'help' me, but throw insults at me in the same sentence?

I am not insulting you. I am literally stating what you have done, and what skills you apparently posess.

You have treated me like *suitcase* the moment I joined this site. Trust me, I remember.

Actually, the first interaction I had with you was this one: (From your thread here)

Check your nozzle 'finger' is intact, check with better quality beebs and check that your magazine isn't sitting too low in the receiver.

The second interaction I had with you was

Could you get some video, preferably in slow motion, of the problem?

It sounds like either your feed lips aren't lining up with your hop up units' feed ramp (IE: mag is sitting too low) or your feeding 'finger' on the nozzle is damaged.

If you need WE parts, I would reccomend either KYairsoft.com or ArmedForces (http://www.guns.com.hk/).

And the third:

It does sound like this could be the issue. Try resting the magazine on a table or something whilst firing it to keep the magazine held tightly in the gun and see if that helps. That would indicate that this is the root cause.

And the fourth:

I think what's happening is that on full auto, the magazine is shifting against the weakened magazine catch, causing the feed lips to be out of alignment with the feed ramp into the hop-up chamber when the bolt returns, causing bbs to be knocked out of the feed path.

And the fifth:

Mate, don't get a new trigger box, that's just throwing good money after bad.

As for the stuck screw:

https://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-HANSON-Spiral-Extractor-11119/dp/B0002NYBH8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1481801526&sr=8-7&keywords=screw+extractor

I think I (and a fair few other people on this forum) have been more than patient enough, to be honest. That thread is full of people giving you advice and suggestions, and you ignored every single one of them in the end and did exactly what everyone was telling you not to do.

You are also putting words in my mouth. Please quote me when I said that I didn't know what a caliper was. I never said any such thing.

Fair enough, you didn't. My mistake. You still managed to massively overcomplicate the simple task of 'Acquire a longer screw'.

Does it look like *suitcase* afterwards? There would be a bunch of holes where the rivets once were.

Anyway, yeah, that is what I assumed. Probably would need some filing, preferably on the inside.

It does look awful if you remove the side rail and do nothing to make it look good again. There will be three bumps that end in holes. Beautiful little volcanoes.

You could straight that up with the right tools and knowledge, fill the holes with steel epoxy and apply a new finishing to make it look almost like there was never a side rail. 

I though you were intending to switch it for a real steel side rail, if so be aware that you might need to drill one or two extra holes, as it won't line up with the old holes.And that task needs to be extremely precise or you won't be able to calibrate whatever you mount on the side rail.

As for the front end parts, IIRC you're getting it the other way around. LCT parts are too wide for the WE barrel, so they required shimming with some aluminum strips cut out of a beer can, or a nice layer of steel epoxy to make them fit. Or parhaps that was the case with the real steel parts on WE's barrel. I can't seem to remember

---------

As for that personal arguments, I'm 100% on darklite side. Damn Sturm, you're SO annoying. You asked for advice, ignored it every single time, and came back with new problems that would have totally been avoided if you just listened to what we were recommending in the first place. And you couldn't make the simplest tasks like replacing a spring.  At one point I was 99% sure you were just trolling... yet here I am, still trying to help you out...

So here's my advice: know your limits, acknowledge them, and try to improve OR just leave the task for someone able. 

As for the front end parts, IIRC you're getting it the other way around. LCT parts are too wide for the WE barrel, so they required shimming with some aluminum strips cut out of a beer can, or a nice layer of steel epoxy to make them fit. Or parhaps that was the case with the real steel parts on WE's barrel. I can't seem to remember

On my builds I found the LCT outer barrel was thinner than the WE's, so I had to remove material from the WE barrels (you can see in the pic I posted earlier that the AK74 hasn't had it's barrel repainted yet).

As for that personal arguments, I'm 100% on darklite side. Damn Sturm, you're SO annoying. You asked for advice, ignored it every single time, and came back with new problems that would have totally been avoided if you just listened to what we were recommending in the first place. And you couldn't make the simplest tasks like replacing a spring.  At one point I was 99% sure you were just trolling... yet here I am, still trying to help you out...

So here's my advice: know your limits, acknowledge them, and try to improve OR just leave the task for someone able.

Actually, I followed most advice.

I bought screw extractors. They didn't do *suitcase*.

I bought digital calipers almost right after being advised to do so. What did they do? Well, they helped a tad, but I got more success sending the screw out to Boltdepot (which was brought to my attention by NonEx). Out of all the screws they had access to, they were unable to find one that was a definite match to the Guarder one. What makes everyone so sure that a *suitcasey*, useless *albatross* hardware store (which are all stockpiled with overpriced Chinese junk) would be able to find a match, when a business specialising in screws had no luck?

In reality, I actively listened to most advice I was given. In several of these cases, that 'advice' got me even more *fruitcage*ed.

Oh, and Darklite, I am relatively certain that describing my abilities as '*fruitcage*ed' as you did qualifies as an insult. Maybe in Terram Scotorum it is not, but in most places it would be considered to be somewhat rash.

Sturm, Darklite is offering you sound technical advice. If anyone here really wanted to hurt your feelings they'd likely start with your mother.

Now, let's get real. It took you two whole weeks to sort that screw "problem" you had despite half a dozen people helping you out. Converting any AEG spec parts to a WE is already moderately difficult for us so would be neigh impossible with the likes of you. Again, GET PROFESSIONAL HELP. There's no shame in admitting something is beyond your capabilities and is precisely why gunsmiths exist.

Edit: why do you presume to know the hardware didn't have the right screw when you never even asked? A manufacturer will have one specific dimension for a certain product. A store will carry multiple similar products whose manufacturers have varying dimensions particularly with screw heads. Chances are they had the right screw sitting on a shelf.

...I bought screw extractors. They didn't do *suitcase*.

...I bought digital calipers almost right after being advised to do so. What did they do? Well, they helped a tad, but I got more success sending the screw out to Boltdepot (which was brought to my attention by NonEx). Out of all the screws they had access to, they were unable to find one that was a definite match to the Guarder one. What makes everyone so sure that a *suitcasey*, useless *albatross* hardware store (which are all stockpiled with overpriced Chinese junk) would be able to find a match, when a business specialising in screws had no luck?

...In reality, I actively listened to most advice I was given. In several of these cases, that 'advice' got me even more *fruitcage*ed.

I wanted to stay out of this but: 

Sturm:  This is life, and nothing ever goes to plan.

But most people do not even have a plan, they just "analyse" and complain, because its easier to complain than to plan and do something.  This is you.  (Just so you know, there are 3 engineering stores in my area all specialising in different tools, screws, bolts, fittings, and material, and if I need something I have to go to more than those stores to get the right bits for the stuff I make, its not as easy as in Mythbusters)

So get a plan, try, plan again, try again.  We are trying to help you plan.  If you don't plan you will f**k up one thing and then another, and another.

I wanted to stay out of this but:

Sturm: This is life, and nothing ever goes to plan.

But most people do not even have a plan, they just "analyse" and complain, because its easier to complain than to plan and do something. This is you. (Just so you know, there are 3 engineering stores in my area all specialising in different tools, screws, bolts, fittings, and material, and if I need something I have to go to more than those stores to get the right bits for the stuff I make, its not as easy as in Mythbusters)

So get a plan, try, plan again, try again. We are trying to help you plan. If you don't plan you will f**k up one thing and then another, and another.

Alright, that is constructive criticism. I don't have a problem with that.

The problem I have with many people on this site is that they express their frustration through insulting me and making me feel bad.

Darklite. I don't know how you interpret your own words, but I interpret them as being borderline hostile. If you are less mocking and sarcastic, I am a lot more likely to take what you say more fruitfully.

I thought for a long time it was just me, but I no longer think so. I am not going to improve at anything when the people telling me to improve are also labelling me as 'incompetent' and 'unable to read a ruler.' Does this make any sense to you?

Darklite. I don't know how you interpret your own words, but I interpret them as being borderline hostile. If you are less mocking and sarcastic, I am a lot more likely to take what you say more fruitfully.

Mate, I don't know how you interpret any words, given your absolute inability to read what people write and process it.

First off, read post #89. I list literally the first five posts I ever addressed to you. You ignored every single one, ignored pretty much every bit of advice in that thread and now you're ignoring the post where I explain to you that you have a problem ignoring advice!

I hesitate to ask, given the historical precedent you've so far provided, but do you see why we're getting frustrated?

I've not stooped to throwing insults around. I have been sarcastic and harsh, but only after you proved yourself totally unable to listen to advice. I gave you plenty of chances. So have many, many others. You have responded with aggressive attacks and painted yourself as a martyr.

Again, I haven't insulted you. I have just stated that you have no mechanical aptitude. This is the truth. You have shown, incontrovertably, that it is.

I see no value in being less mocking and sarcastic because I started by being polite and helpful and you ignored what I wrote.

You could be a lot more likely to take what I say 'fruitfully', but then again, my toaster has proven more receptive than you have to reasoned debate thus far.

I thought for a long time it was just me, but I no longer think so. I am not going to improve at anything when the people telling me to improve are also labelling me as 'incompetent' and 'unable to read a ruler.' Does this make any sense to you?

Mate, you have been given so much advice by so many people and you have shown that you aggressively refuse to listen to them or absorb any knowledge of any kind. It most certainly is you.

You have also shown that you are incompetent and unable to use a ruler to measure a screw.

This doesn't mean that you can't improve. The fact that you don't have the skillset right not does not hold you back from improvement. Your attitude and unwillingness to listen to advice is what is holding you back.

TL;DR: If you don't want to be treated like a fool, stop acting like one.

Archived