English Customs Department

icolater

BTW they took apart a GHK ar and failed miserably to reassemble it. They were screw driver marks where they removed the pins, they over screwed the grip back on without the washer so the screw cracked the top of the pistol grip, also they didn't put the buffer tube on correctly and left heavy scratch marks on the castle nut from using a the wrong tools, and the butt stock was at an angle, and to top it off they just threw the mag in to the box allowing it to bag of the recevier and left little dents all over the mag and the recevier. Anyhow happy days!! I'm over it now and don't really care about it.

Also I sent a pistol to a guy in Germany and they took apart the gun and left scratch marks all over the place! And failed to instal the slide release correctly and it was Jamed against the slide!!

I'm sorry again guys! I really didn't mean to bash English people, I hope I can clear that up, it was a mixture of alcohol and anger that made me write that first post in such an idiotic manner.

So to sum up English people = cool top dudes, English government and customs = not cool at all

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. If that's what they do these days to imports (be it if they have a right to, which is shady as *fruitcage*, original they do have a right to) it's put me off.

Hopefully you'll get it sorted icolater, and that you are given a reason why and that it won't happen again.

It wasn't obvious.

Hence the question.

You said "legal (or other)". Something other than legal would be illegal...

Ok dude whatever, I meant take legal action, like sueing them, the "or other" would just be a nasty email or letter. I'm not a gangster/thug.

Anyhow, have a great day shmuk! I don't really want to get into this any further or cause any more offence, I hope you can understand that.

It strikes me like a return that has been resold with that type of damage.

Again, that leads to 'still the responsibility of the sender'.

Be interesting to see if the sender tries to blame the customs or if customs says it was them and that compensation will be paid. But, this is a big but, it depends if they (customs) admit they damaged the goods or if they lay the blame at the door of the sender.

Hopefully icolater gets compensated.

TBH I'm not bothered at this stage, I got it cerakoted and replaced the pins and grip with spares I had. It's pritty much like new again. I have a feeling it would be a waist of time doing anything about it and add stress that's not needed to my life. Besides I got the new mafioso Kimber stainless compact with a custom beed blasted finish that has made me happy a happy camper again.

Article 50 hasn't been started yet. Once that is complete, we'll be out of Europe. Probably going to take about 2-3 years in total.

We still don't have a definitive date as to when it will be triggered (article 50). But Donald Trump is rubbing his hands.

I honestly can't see that happening. Which is different to, I don't want it to change. Once article 50 is triggered it will be a huge trigger for other things (second Scottish referendum and the treaty with Ireland). I don't think some people realise what's going to change and how severe that change will be.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the my anger towards English people, it wasn't meant that way, I think the people of England are pritty much the same as the Irish, it's the English government and their governing bodies that I have a serious problem with, they think they are somewhat supior and can do what they want. I just think it's typical of their mentality, what gives them the right to check mail that is not sent to England. The customs department in Ireland are bad but at least they show some sort of consideration for the parcel they are checking and are legally obliged to do so.

But for the record I'm not anti English or racist in anyway, I just don't like people *fruitcage* with my possessions, and for the record they did indeed act illegally and an official complaint was lodged by an post (Irish postal service).

Again I am very sorry if I caused offence as my first post was written in anger and I came across as a idiot, English people are top top people and I have many Enlish friends and family. So please don't think I hate English people or people from any other country. It just the English authorities I think are Ignorant fools.

The 'real' English died centuries ago. You have the Normans to thank for that.

Besides, England is so multicultural, I don't think there is such a thing anymore as being ethnic English.

English may be a Germanic language (and a bastardised one at that), but only vestiges of Germanic people remain in the UK. Genetically, they are all but perished.

American isn't a language... there's American English, and various dialects of that. Also, while the Normans came to dominate society throughout what is now England, they didn't kill off the local population (though they had a pretty good go with the harrowing of the north which was basically a campaign of ethnic cleansing and genocide). That all said the various Germanic and Norse groups didn't kill off the Celtic/britanic population either, though celtic languages and culture were more or less lost in England (but not Wales, Scotland or Ireland), much of the population is still largely decended from the original Celtic population, with certain regional exceptions (east Anglia and the north east for example are predominantly decended from the Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Danes that arrived in successive waves of invasion and settlement). An interesting fact is that the Vikings after the innitial rape and pillaging bit started to just settle and intergrate, quite a lot of the routs of the English language are Viking, though English is a curious language as it has such a wide range of routs, this is why it has a very wide vocabulary, a fairly simple grammar (complex grammar tends not to survive various groups trying to understand each other in various languages, pigins and creoles), and of course mad as f*** spelling. Oh, one thing the Normans sure did do was create the aristocracy (they're still all basically Normans). I personally find this kind of thing historically and linguistically interesting but try not to attach too much personal importance to it.

American isn't a language... there's American English, and various dialects of that. Also, while the Normans came to dominate society throughout what is now England, they didn't kill off the local population (though they had a pretty good go with the harrowing of the north which was basically a campaign of ethnic cleansing and genocide). That all said the various Germanic and Norse groups didn't kill off the Celtic/britanic population either, though celtic languages and culture were more or less lost in England (but not Wales, Scotland or Ireland), much of the population is still largely decended from the original Celtic population, with certain regional exceptions (east Anglia and the north east for example are predominantly decended from the Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Danes that arrived in successive waves of invasion and settlement). An interesting fact is that the Vikings after the innitial rape and pillaging bit started to just settle and intergrate, quite a lot of the routs of the English language are Viking, though English is a curious language as it has such a wide range of routs, this is why it has a very wide vocabulary, a fairly simple grammar (complex grammar tends not to survive various groups trying to understand each other in various languages, pigins and creoles), and of course mad as f*** spelling. Oh, one thing the Normans sure did do was create the aristocracy (they're still all basically Normans). I personally find this kind of thing historically and linguistically interesting but try not to attach too much personal importance to it.

Yes, Cheddar Man has evidenced that (even if he was likely pre-Indo-European and certainly Pre-Celtic) Germanic genetic lineage is mostly absent from the population of England. I believe Shetlanders and people from Orkney are largely descended from Norse settlers, considering Norway possessed both islands for well over 500 years (both became part of the Kingdom of Scotland in 1466) and Northern Isles islands' had their own varieties of Old West Norse (Norn).

I originally believed that the Anglo-Saxon invasions in the fourth century displaced Celtic speakers. However, I no longer think so. I doubt there were enough Germanic people to permanently displace Celts. It's a similar scenario to the Indo-European migrations into the Indian subcontinent. Indo-Europeans brought their language, culture, and religion to India, but genetically, they died out. I have heard reports of people in East Anglia (particularly near Norfolk) having relatively high concentrations of Germanic influence genetically.

Don't get me started on American 'English.' It is a bastardised piece of garbage. Daniel Webster was an inbred hick who thought that dropping random letters from certain words made English a more 'American' language. That is straight *badger*s.

About grammatical complexity, there is more to it than that. I don't think most Indo-European languages became less inflected because outside people attempted to learn them, and subsequently bastardised the grammar. What about the Slavic and Baltic languages? All of those languages (besides Macedonian and Bulgarian) are extremely complicated languages, and that region of Europe (Balkans, East Baltic, and central-eastern Europe) are undoubtedly the most linguistically and genetically diverse part of Europe (Slavs, Balts, Romanians, Armenians, Albanians, Greeks. Goths used to exist in large amounts of the Balkans, and were Germanic speakers.

I can't really explain how English became as it is today. Old English was a rich language with a working declension system (modern English only has three cases in pronouns, and genitive in other nominals if you consider the possessive apostrophe to be a genitive case marker).

German is a less conservative (actually, for Germanic languages, it is actually pretty conservative, compared to Swedish, English, Dutch, Afrikaans, Danish/Bokmål, and Nynorsk) language than Icelandic and Faroese, and it has retained nearly all of its inflection. If anyone here can speak decent German, go read the opening lines of Das Nibelungenlied. It is in a relatively early form of Middle High German, and besides spelling irregularities and consanant shifts, is basically identical to modern High German.

Well, the Shetland isalnds are tiny, I'm not really sure to what extent they were even populated prior to Viking settlement, certainly the population is genetically (and culturally) closer to Norway than Scotland.

I'm not really that bothered by American English, I think English has always been quite a fluid, changeable language and you'd be hard pressed to avoid Americanisms now, English tends to absord and exchange words readily, far more so than say French or German as you have mentioned. I suspect that with grammar simplification once momentum is gained it's hard to stop.

I guess with Slavic languages they're a very old group of languages and spoken by a wide number of peoples for a long time so maybe that has insulated them against grammar simplification? Just a thought, I'm far from an expert on this. I remember reading an article on the language the Goths spoke, we know it was in the Germanic group but we have next to no records of it. I imagine that it was probably at least as grammatically complex as Slavic languages so it probably didn't offer anything above those languages as a lingua franca, and died out for whatever reasons. Maybe because the Slavic languages were more widely spoken and learning another highly inflected language was just harder work, ultimately language has to be useful for communication and learning any language requires a lot of time and effort.

From Wiki:

Extensive research has been conducted since the 1930s to determine the origin of the Appalachian dialect. One popular theory is that the dialect is a preserved remnant of 16th-century (or "Elizabethan") English in isolation,[4][5] though a far more accurate comparison would be to 18th-century (or "colonial") English;[6] regardless, the Appalachian dialect studied within the last century, like most dialects, actually shows a mix of both older and newer features.[7]

Archived