'Grey' Plate Carrier options at £60-80?

CharlieQB

Hi all

just getting back into it all after a break of a few years. Looking for a new load out for CQB/FIBUA skirmishing with some side/kidney protection.

I like the new 'Grey/Wolf Grey/Titanium' colour option that's now available on the market.

I'm not looking at spending anywhere near as much as I use to spend so have set a budget. Given the big raise in quality I would have settled for for a Viper Lazer Platform but had an email back from them to say they are not releasing it in that colour option any time soon. I'm a fan of 5.11 but not willing to spend that much.

Can anyone point me in the direction of Brand that's going to go the distance for the price and not fall apart in a month of playing?

Despite the budget I'm not keen on "buying twice"

thanks in advance

Chas

Despite the budget I'm not keen on "buying twice"

You'd be one of those really awkward people on Location, Location, Location.

The only thing I can see inbetween the 'too cheap' clones and the 5.11/LBX options around the £160-170 region (and neither of those 2 are that amazing in terms of QC) would be the Grey Ghost Minimalist, Tac-Kit had those in Wolf but they're out of stock now.  

You'd be one of those really awkward people on Location, Location, Location.

You know it ;)

That vest looks good but it's going to have to be a full PC. I refuse to play with Hi-Caps so need space for 8-10 MidCaps. Don't like belt rigs or drop leg panels 

You can add Tac Tailor side plate upgrades to PCs like the Grey Ghost which don't have a PALS cummerbund.  Means you can spread the cost out too.

Only other possibilities that comes to mind is a Mission-Spec EOC via Redwolf but it'd definitely come in under budget; maybe a Blue Force Gear PlateMinus in Wolf but again you'd have to hunt one down 2nd hand to meet budget.  Far as I know, there isn't anything on the market that fits your criteria and I do spend a lot of time looking, but good luck hunting.

A vest in another colour and a decent spray job?

I did think about that. Do we know anyone that did it with any great success?. I'm assuming Krylon would be the thing to try? 

BFG Rackminus can be had for £99.99 from Tactical kit, they also do a micro one for about £65. However you'd need to add pouches too.

I'm going to get one for my plain clothes load out.

Def after a Plate Carrier not a chest rig bud

How heavily are you likely to use it?

As in, how often do you play and how aggressive are you towards your kit?

I always treat my kit with maximum respect but you know how it is, sometimes you just can't help but launch yourself down a polished wooden floored corridor on your back so you can light someone up on full auto hiding behind a doorway to one side....

I wonder how well dying something relatively light like CB would work.

I wouldn't know where to begin on that and certainly would have to trail it on a pouch before committing to a PC. Think the misses might go nuts about the state of the washing machine afterwards?! :) 

Probably more inclined to try Krylon on a Black vest tbh

Krypton is spendy! Edit, krylon!

I've successfully sprayed vests/pouches etc with humoral acrylic aerosols bought from hobbycraft and B&Q.

Granted, I did it in a haphazard manner on purpose, but if you strip everything down and make sure you get all areas, I can tree why it won't look good :)

I'd have thought lightly bleaching a black carrier to grey could be a possibility, I had this same issue, I didn't want a china copy that'd fall to bits but didn't want to spend too much either. In the end I ended up with a BFG plate minus so the "I dont want to spend too much" went out the window!

I know what you mean but it's CQB skirmishing and not weekend Milsim for this vest. I will have the bare essentials so not many pouches. I know your idea works with Multi-Cam pouches on a Tan vest for example but I can't see it working for me in this instance. Good thinking thou

Could compromise slightly and get a TMC plate carrier in foliage green (green side of grey) and then grey pouches on top.

If you're not doing an impression I would recommend Coyote or Ranger Green. Better availability and they work very well in CQB. ( Coyote and wooden pallets, Ranger green is quite gray.)

Also) big buck brands have a better resell value as well.

I can tell since I've spend big bucks on BGF's Mini rig and m4 pouches ( more like 'autches'). The Wolf grey is quite blue and not as nice as I thought.

Just my 2c. Not looking down on your choice.:)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Archived