Single shot shotgun knowledge

blobface

Not quite sure where to put this thread, but due to my obsession with the APS airsoft rounds, I'd quite like to make a single shot shotgun using those rounds, but my knowledge on them is really limited.

If Glock is to the 9mm, 1911 is to the .45, Remington 870 / Mossberg 590 is to the pump 12ga, what is the equivalent model for the single shot (I presume break action) 12ga shotgun that is the most common where I should base the build on? I'm trying to avoid the ridiculously expensive engraved stuff people in suede vests use, but something more along the line of something you might see in a random hunter's hut. 

Thanks.

The reason there's no single ubiquitous single shot shotgun is because despite just about every manufacturer coming up with their own, none of them really overshadowed each other due to being superior in some way so none really outsold any other significantly unless a particular brand just simply died out.

For the UK I'd guess the Greener GP12 would be the most common being a domestic product.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=pijt-rB8g0o

Thanks guys, all useful info, I probably will avoid the GP12 just because how much more complicated it'd be to make compared to the Winchester Model 37, and that it's suppose to send empty shells flying which isn't ideal with APS, think I'll go in the direction of the Winchester, cheers! 

• 4 weeks later...

Ha ha ha Blob

This is a great project / as always

I think I am going to make a bit heavier post than normal with lots of pics

The single barreled breechloaded shotgun has miraculously survived the last 140 years.

In the begining there were many lefaucheux system (pinfire) hunting shotguns and they remained popular in europe but not in USA.

Even though it is in many ways obsolete it still has a few advantages.

Since the mechanism is extremely simple it is very cheap to produce and there are very few things that could break.

Therefore it is also very reliable and there is of course also a bit of a one shot mentality for some.

Since it is so simple it is also a great first time shooter shotgun.

Are you planning to make a modern gun or more old style?

The hinge framed hammer shotgun is still the most popular version even though there are many hammerless models.

Some of the earliest ones were converted rifles such as the ZULU shotgun .12ga shotguns. They were Converted from European percussion muskets and were very cheap models sold into the early 1900's.

The WW Greener Martini Henry .14ga shotgun were made intended for police in the british colonies.

The smokeless powder cartridge centerfire system version of the single barreled shotgun made its entry around the turn of the century.

It was mainly a hunter / farmers gun. Many were made in .410ga for fighting pesticide.

There were mainly 2 companies that dominated the market; Harrington & Richardson and the other was Stevens J. (later merged with Savage)

One very popular version was the Handy-Gun which was more of a pistol.

It remained popular until a ban on shortbarreled shotguns came about in Roaring 30s.

In the early days you could also buy a full auto Tommy gun in any farmers Hardware store.

The most popular way to procure them was however by mailorder at large companies selling them under diffrent Brand names.

Such as Sears Roebuck - JC Higgins & Montgomery Ward.

See images in link

http://imgur.com/a/biSfr

But as I understood it your looking for a modern hunting gun that could be found in a hunting lodge somewhere?

Therefore we should focus on postwar models.

The top 6 single barreled post war shotguns would be:

1) Stevens M94 ca 934 000 guns were made 1929 until 1984 sold by  J.C. Higgins as the Model 101.1

So existed very long and would arguably perhaps be the winner

8f0hAC.jpg

Stevens M94 Series K .12-76ga Break-Action Shotgun 28 inch barrel

qyl4Rf.jpg

Stevens M94 Series H .12ga Break Action Single Shot Shotgun 30 inch barrel

rXnIbQ.jpg

Here are several variants showing some other models by Stevens

among them are

Stevens M9478 .10-89 gauge magnum 36 inch barrel made 1978-1986

Dreadnaught .12-70ga 32 inch barrel a pre-model made 1911-1936

SB model 12

M94

M94C

SB model 410

2) Winchester M37 ca 1million guns were made from 1936 until 1963

M37 sold a lot of and could be found anywhere

U15SLt.jpg

Winchester Model 37 12ga

W0Hgbp.jpg

Winchester Model 37 16ga

3) Harrington & Richardson Topper & Pardner introduced 1943 with M48 (or 1930's counting pre-models) and manufactured until 1986 (or actucally still being produced se below)

in 1987 the line was takien over by NEF New England Firearms and re-named the Pardner which made them until 2008.

During late Jan. of 2008, Remington acquired the Marlin Firearms Co which previously purchased H&R with NEF & LC Smith brands during year 2000.

Now H&R are again producing both the Topper and the Pardner in diffrent configurations.

KCYBYl.jpg

Harrington & Richardson Topper M88 .12-76ga 20 inch barrel Blued and case-hardened finish

Oa10Fs.jpg

Harrington & Richardson PARDNER .12-76ga 32 inch barrel choked 1-1 Wood stock

TeDOyD.jpg

New England Firearms Pardner MOD SB1 .12ga 27.5 inch barrel blued finish with a walnut stock

One of the coolest offsprings is the H Koon snakecharmer

tttapQ.jpg

Koon Arms Snake Charmer .410ga 18 inch barrel Stainless steel & black plastic thumbhole stock

MN4JF4.jpg

New England Firearms Pardner .410ga ATI Shotforce stock Tactical Forend & Bipod mfg by H&R Scoped

4) Beretta Monobloc hammerless made from 1960's until 2011

aka Monocanna Ripieghevole aka FS-1 M412 or Companion a huge success in europe.

Never very popular in the states but sold by J Galef New York.

pre-model made 1912-1943 was the Champion with a hammer.

Many copied by Turkish companies or Italian firms like Investarm Effebi MAVI and Salvinelli

yUh2jW.jpg

Beretta Monoblock M90 .16-70ga 76cm barrel

2u3yCh.jpg

Beretta FS-1 12gauge Single shot folding shotgun with 30 inches Full-choke barrel

vPK4tx.jpg

Khan Arms K100 BT 12-76ga 71cm BBL Turkish Walnut Gloss Finish Stock w Extractor Ejector selective Red fiber optic sight made in Turkey

5) Baikal IZH-18 and variations aka Remington Spartan Gunworks SPR-100

I am a bit unsure but seems to have appeared around 2000 and is still manufactured

Very popular due to the low cost

uWBD0H.jpg

Baikal IZH-18 Single Shot .12ga shotgun made in Russia

6) Savage M220 were made between 1938 and1965 total numbers unknown by me

not the most known and a bit old but definitely common enough to make the list

On a side note they also made a single shot leveraction gun the M66 that is quite cool.

eikxzY.jpg

Savage 220B .20ga 28 inch barrel Blued with Case colors made in USA

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

A lot of copies of the most popular single barrel shotgun models are made by CBC & Rossi in Brazil.

Sporting guns

One could just mention the sporting guns they are generally very expensive and see little if any use beyond professional shooters.

They would be mainly these six;

Ithaca Flues Knickerbocker models

0QwmO6.jpg

Beretta S682X

N6i3te.jpg

Browning BT-99 & BT-100

WbJjtJ.jpg

Perazzi TM I

Za5QAp.jpg

Ljutic trap

WjE2Bu.jpg

Krieghoff KS-5 & M32

Jh3d8W.jpg

sxaW3M.jpg

As a suggestion you could just search the second hand market for a stock, hammer and triggerguard and let the market decide?

Why not make a Chiappa TRIPLE THREAT?  = )

That is a rebranded Turkish Huglu shotgun and probably one of the cheapest guns you could buy at Walmart. The Turks have copied most designs when it comes to shotguns. Some own designs too but mainly copies.

I think this is such an obscure area so anything that resembles these general designs would work in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

renegadecow, did you ever get around to drawing up an idea for an airsoft greener gp? ive been wanting to make an airsoft one for a while(i have 2 actual gp's) but couldn't come up with a decent strikerless design that would allow for the breech to drop as intended (as having a trigger that would just push the aps valve would be in the way) im curious to hear if you have any ideas 

I came up with one but it's pretty complicated that it's definitely going to need a mill for the small parts. It more or less operates like the real thing but the cam for the cocking piece is only on one side and the sear is instead part of the trigger as a counterlever on the other side. Firing pin then changed to a simple push rod linked to the trigger.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd say the Thompson contender is probably one of the most ubiquitous as its your classic break action single shot.

The reason the goblin wouldn't be great is honestly... Their rubbish. The shells leak, the design of the shells (effectively the old marushin shells that airsoft surgeon cloned/redesigned iirc) means that their beyond 15-20ft, their flimsy and the shells aren't particularly drop safe from what i understand plus the only way to get decent range is to fill them with co2 which requires one hell of allot of maintenance.

Their great IF you get them for the american/canadian price.

The APS shells for the cam870 are a better design and hold more Bb's and last longer and I'm not sure their compatible with the goblin.

Archived