Can anyone that owns a GHK AUG take it apart and tell me what parts are composed of at least some iron (probably steel)? I am interested in what exactly GHK is using for materials in the rifle. I know that the outer barrel is some sort of aluminium alloy (a few manufacturers make a steel replacement, however). The frame is plastic, as it is on the real AUG. However, what about the trigger box, bolt carrier, fire selector, and upper receiver (including the integrated scope)?

I operate the Steyr and I am also an owner of the GHK.

The Steyr AUG uppers are "mostly" Aluminium with embedded steel bits at the load bearing parts.   The reason is because the barrel trunnion is actually on the upper receiver and is "floating", it is fixed in place in 3 points, the receiver locking pin (steel), the front gas block and the breech (steel).  The front gas block is steel holds the monopod, and locks in place onto the upper receiver.  If the upper is aluminium then those 3 locking points would have worn out very quickly.

Comparison:

Screws                                        RS                                GHK

Pins                                           Steel                              Steel

Sling Mount                               Steel                              Steel

Barrel detachment lever            Steel                              Steel

Monopod pin                             Steel                              Steel

Springs                                      Steel                              Steel

Lower receiver                          Plastic                            Plastic

Upper receiver                        Alu (mostly)                     Alu (All) 

Monopod grip                    Plastic over metal               Plastic over metal

Cocking handle                       Plastic                             Plastic

Bolt Head (blowback unit)       Plastic                              Steel

Trigger                                    Plastic                            Plastic                                    

Trigger Bar                               Steel                              Steel

Selector                                   Plastic                            Plastic 

Bolt carrier                       Steel (with a plastic rear end)   Alu

FCG                                        Plastic                             Alu/Zinc

FCG housing                           Plastic                              Plastic

Flash hider                              Steel                                 Alu

Barrel                                      Steel                                 Alu

Gas block                                Steel                                 Alu

Gas regulator                          Steel                                 Alu

Gas Piston                              Steel                                   X

Faux Op rod (Part of BCG)     Steel                                 Alu

Cocking handle rod (BCG)      Steel                                 Alu    

Barrel locking lug                    Steel                                 Brass

Firing pin                                 Steel                                   X

Bolt cam sleeve                       Steel                                   X

Spring guide                            Steel                                Steel

Buttplate                             Rubber over steel          Rubber over steel

I operate the Steyr and I am also an owner of the GHK.

The Steyr AUG uppers are "mostly" Aluminium with embedded steel bits at the load bearing parts.   The reason is because the barrel trunnion is actually on the upper receiver and is "floating", it is fixed in place in 3 points, the receiver locking pin (steel), the front gas block and the breech (steel).  The front gas block is steel holds the monopod, and locks in place onto the upper receiver.  If the upper is aluminium then those 3 locking points would have worn out very quickly.

Comparison:

Screws                                        RS                                GHK

Pins                                           Steel                              Steel

Sling Mount                               Steel                              Steel

Barrel detachment lever            Steel                              Steel

Monopod pin                             Steel                              Steel

Springs                                      Steel                              Steel

Lower receiver                          Plastic                            Plastic

Upper receiver                        Alu (mostly)                     Alu (All) 

Monopod grip                    Plastic over metal               Plastic over metal

Cocking handle                       Plastic                             Plastic

Bolt Head (blowback unit)       Plastic                              Steel

Trigger                                    Plastic                            Plastic                                    

Trigger Bar                               Steel                              Steel

Selector                                   Plastic                            Plastic 

Bolt carrier                       Steel (with a plastic rear end)   Alu

FCG                                        Plastic                             Alu/Zinc

FCG housing                           Plastic                              Plastic

Flash hider                              Steel                                 Alu

Barrel                                      Steel                                 Alu

Gas block                                Steel                                 Alu

Gas regulator                          Steel                                 Alu

Gas Piston                              Steel                                   X

Faux Op rod (Part of BCG)     Steel                                 Alu

Cocking handle rod (BCG)      Steel                                 Alu    

Barrel locking lug                    Steel                                 Brass

Firing pin                                 Steel                                   X

Bolt cam sleeve                       Steel                                   X

Spring guide                            Steel                                Steel

Buttplate                             Rubber over steel          Rubber over steel

That is very helpful. Thanks!

I find it kind of insulting that the GHK AUG lacks a lot of these steel parts. For the price, you would think it would have a lot of steel components?!! Are there any manufacturers that make a steel bolt carrier for it? Hephaestus and a few others I know make a steel outer barrel.

The GHK is on the low end of the price range for GBBRs,  I think most airsoft consumers are happy with it.  Weight wise its a 200g off the real steel so its not so bad.

There is no need for a steel bolt carrier at this stage.  The GHK bolt carrier is sufficient in design to take the knocks, (unlike say the SCAR bolt carrier), and as demonstrated with most guns an aluminium blowback nozzle is generally not the best idea either.

I do not think a steel bolt carrier would be wise given what keeps the bolt carrier in place is an aluminium upper receiver with no steel inserts.  To change the bolt carrier to steel you would need to change the cocking rod and Op rod also to steel which would significantly increase in the weight of the bolt, decreasing gas efficiency and wearing the upper and the FCG.   Remember on another thread, I had warned about over upgrading and not throwing money into solving a non-problem.

Steel barrels are definitely a welcome since that is basically why the GHK doesn't feel quite right, but what I am more concerned is the use of the field stripping lever increases the wear on the barrel locking lug, which is brass and is slowly being worn away by the upper receiver. 

The GHK Steyr AUG is, in my opinion, the best airsoft replica I have bought out of the box.  10/10 on Replicating the outer and the working parts, 9.5/10 on Materials used, 9.8/10 on performance and efficiency, and 9.8/10 on durability.  Its both an Art work and a technical masterpiece.  There are some that has come close, but none so close to perfection.  Just a shame its a Steyr AUG (and not an M4, or other more collectable rifles <FAL/G3/etc> )

I have had friends who have been playing airsoft and have had many GBBs also said the same thing.  Tis a shame the M4 style ergonomic platforms are still what most people are used to.

I haven't bought the GHK M4 atm, so my opinion may change.  The GHK G5, while not a replica, is pretty hard good also.  Just not their AKs.  Would take a WE AK and tune up, rather than a GHK.

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old post but its very helpful thank you. I don't get the very last comment about liking all GHK's but for their AK's. GHK AK's are by far THE BEST gbbr ak's. I own many and also many other brands as well WE included. They are by far above the rest so I'm just curious about that comment from someone who is so knowlegable. Thanks again. Dario 

On 12/24/2021 at 11:58 PM, Dario Deak said:

They are by far above the rest so I'm just curious about that comment from someone who is so knowlegable.

Since Dan and I share the same sentiment when comparing GHK and WE AKs, it's mostly because:

-WE has a better potential for range/accuracy with their VSR hop up vs GHK's AEG one

-Full travel bolt. It just feels so much better to rack, more recoil, and you can bring up the rof without sacrificing travel by simply using a rubber buffer

-Realistic dead man's click on empty (hammer actually falls)

-Feels more solid despite fewer steel externals because of the thick steel reinforcements in the receiver

-Cheap parts and mags that weigh close to real loaded weight

Archived