Your 1st hand experiences with the WE Masada MSK

Marc.RG1

Hello everyone..

Its nearly that time, where i can get myself a GBBR assault rifle, i was hoping to get the WE Scar H, as i started this topic a few months ago and have been saving ever since..

http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/216753-your-1st-hand-experiences-with-the-we-scar-lh/

Well the bad news is that the places i tend to shop and most other places for that matter have not had the WE Scar H or even the L, in stock since november, which im really gutted about to be honest, after years i decide on an airsoft rifle to get that i like the look and feel of and not i cant buy one anyway because of stock. lol

Now im going to give it 2 more months at the max and continue saying up the last of the cash needed, but if none have come in stock by then, im either going to forget about buying a GBBR or choose something else, at first i thought about the WE 10'' PDW, but i think its too small for my liking..

So then i saw the WE Madada MSK, I quite like the look of this, not as much as the scar but its about the only other GBBR i like the look of to be honest, So ill get to my question, what are Your 1st hand experiences with the WE Masada MSK GBBR???

Once again, i am very grateful for all your help and input..

ATB, Marc..

I train techs.  One of the techs I trained had an MSK for a while, took it to indoor speedball every week for a few months.  He sold it.

Overall the gun worked fine, we kept tabs of it and was a pretty good platform. 

- Recoil is higher than the PDW, but lower than a SCAR L. 

- Both power and accuracy is on par with the SCAR, and as with a WE, hop rubber needs modification else new barrel and VSR hop rubber, but it was consistent. 

- The bolt carrier is better built than the SCAR.

- Heavy, far heavier than the SCAR. 

- Much more streamlined than the SCAR, better ergonomics.  Lower sight to bore better for aiming.

- MSK has similar triggers to the SCAR, in terms of design and wear, but no steel parts for fitting. 

He sold it because the SCAR could do everything the MSK can do, is lighter and shorter, the SCAR is about the same weight as an M4 but much better than MSK in customisability

Question is if the extra 600g is worth the improvements in ergonomics, but non customisable set up.

It's not so much the sheer weight of the MSK that throws a lot of people off but its balance: very front heavy. I've heard people say switching to polymer handguards helped a lot but I haven't held one myself. No substitute for a 7.62 rifle if that's why you wanted an H. Yes, just about every WE rifle can be made to shoot just as well but it's mostly psychological satisfaction in using a big ol' battle rifle and that counts for a lot in overall enjoyment. Are you limited only to local sources because there's plenty of those around in Asian shops.

It is true, the gun isn't physically heavy, but an M4 is much better balanced and hence easier to aim, and does the same thing.

Ironically I carry a Steyr AUG carbine, same weight as the MSK and it doesn't half feel as "heavy".  

However as Renegadecow said, the whole reason to get the SCAR H is the battle rifle appeal, then stick to it.  Larger mag = more gas = more kick.  You really have 2 options, the VFC 417 and the SCAR H.  The M14 is much too flimsy compared with the other two.

The GBBR one isnt bad no better or worse imo then any other WE GBBR. 

I had the AEG version and it was appalling the piston died within 1 mag and then it would not stay consistent after it was opened up :( ergonomically its a nice rifle tho. 

The WE MSK is a pretty good piece but as others have said, very front heavy. Getting the WE plastic foregrip improves the balance and ergonomics IMMENSELY.

The only thing I noted with it was that it NEEDs a buffer spring put in the lower receiver (I used a cut up AEG spring) to stop the bolt from destroying the back plate.

The flute valve on a couple of the ones I worked on were a bit sticky, resulting in an odd "first shot has no recoil but shoots a bb, second shot has recoil but doesn't shoot a bb" pattern. I found that TM Pistol flute valves work in them and solve this issue.

Balance is a hell of a lot better with the CQB length barrel set too.

Right so I am not sure how valid my input will be based on the starting point of this thread.

But, I started off with a WE M4 CQBR as my first airsoft GBBR rifle and have since had the PDW 10", MSK, G36, AK74, MP5A2 and I have handled the WE SCAR-L and the WE M14.

And so, my basic starting point for these were that I like to try different models, and they look pretty cool.

If we limit it to the M4 style rifles, which would be the PDW, MSK and SCAR-H, the main reason that I don't have any of these over my M4 is because the M4 became my basellne and as I used the other's I was like "Well why would I use this MSK/PDW/SCAR-L over my WE M4", and I just couldn't justify not chosing the M4 over these other ones, and here is why: 

I can do much more in terms of customization, rebuilding, tuning, upgrading etc. on a WE M4 GBBR as a base.

You can't change pistol grip on the MSK, the selector lever is super tiny and hard to operate, as mentioned it does feel very heavy (front heavy), limited handguard options, bolt fel kind of "bulkier" in design and operation over M4 design, and also, and maybe this is the weight thing playing tricks on me, but it felt overall bigger and bulkier than the WE M4. The MSK also has a reciprocating charging handle (IIRC), meaning the handle moves with the bolt as it cycles which I find annoying and it can get caught on things and also to some degree effects performance and gas efficiency and recoil. Limited options for the stock.

Most of that goes for the SCAR-L as well I suppose.

These are both supposed to be successors to the M4 platform, and after having them all and using them, and looking at them, I always go with my WE M4 GBBR.

You can have two separate uppers if you wanted, one DMR setup and one CQB setup. If you feel like changing the style and feel of it you can switch out parts, you can customize the heck out of it with accent color parts and all of that stuff too.

But yeah, I don't have much experience with the SCAR-L but as for the MSK, after having it for a while it was a disappointment to handle and use compared to the M4, both in terms of looks, feel, function and operation and customization.

But, going back to the first line of this rant, I guess a WE M4 is not on your list of choices? :o

Forgot I also had the WE 4168 and that was obviously really a lot like the M4 but with an incompatible magazine well (different curve/profile so WE MSK mags/RS PMAG shells wont fit...), derpy proprietary forend system and I didn't really like the stock grip either... so again, it got sold and the M4 stayed.

In the real world I can see the piston system of the HK416 vs. M4 direct impingement (?) being a factor, but other than that, I don't really get the HK 4168. I know in Larry Vickers videos he "brags" about being one of the design people for it and I am like "Besides the piston system, what else is better than a modern style M4 platform?" :o

I dunno, maybe I am missing something big here...

Here's an album with the evolution of my WE M4 GBBR over the years :D

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/117328876138007382074/album/AF1QipMemNFVNzIqbnPZ76mVh9NicHVyZw_tcSKWza-a

Like most people said here, the MSK is VERY front heavy, and the fore end is just too bulky, either triple rail or plastic handguard

BTW, this may not be an issue at all, personally not a fan of the QD barrel, don't get me wrong, the design is awesome but how it is executed by WE standard and material feels flimsy to me

So here's my answer, best of both worlds :P

JrUQAuj.jpg

LOL the flimsiness of the barrel, its a feature.  If you see the reviews online re: the Remington ACR, it doesn't zero properly after you strip down the barrel.  Whereas a Steyr AUG will magically return to zero after field strip (I haven't had an issue with mine during the shooting comps). 

As a gun smith, the reason this is is because of the barrel nut of the ACR, if you apply a little too much or too little pressure to the barrel nut, it will apply uneven pressure to the barrel, offsetting the zero. Not only that, the MSK barrel setup is narrow and doesn't have as much torque support as an M4 barrel system, which has a wide and deep seating within the receiver/trunion.  Making it easy to bend the barrel aside.

If I had to pick between a SCAR L, M4, ACR I would pick M4.  Lighter, customisable, low sight to bore, not a gas piston so no weighty op rod+heavy gas block+cylinder to carry around.

That being said, if they did the ACR in 7" I might reconsider.

Hi All :)

once again thank you for all your help and comments i am very grateful, its always nice to her peoples thoughts and opinions, and your pro's and con's for each rifles..

Ill answer a few questions first, Buying from the UK, is really the only option for me for a few reasons, because i like to go to my local gun shops, and also pay cash, my savings, which is going slow lol, but also because of my defense, not being a skirmisher, but belong to an reenactment group and RS firearms clubs, i like supporting my local gun shops because they always give me the best deal they can plus if anything major goes wrong when the gun is under warranty i can just take it back and go home sorted within an hour or so, lol if we dont natter too much. :)

Yeah i dont own any AEG's they are not my cup of tea to be honest, dont get me wrong i know they are a great platform and very consistent and reliable even more so in the winter compered to gas guns, but i dont really like the lack of realism, because im a member of a few RS firearms clubs and most of the guys in my family have their FAC (lol i get all the perks and none of the cons or costs) I get to shoot all type of RS guns weekly so realism is a big thing for me.

A few of the assault rifles i get to shoot as well are M4's my nephew owns a nice Colt M4 .22lr, fun to shoot but the standard M4 design is really my style which is why i have never really looked into getting a Airsoft M4, to be totally honest it was only about 8 months ago i thought about getting any airsoft rifles because of the RS and im mostly a airsoft/airgun pistol man too, but thats also because its the thing we cant shoot much of in RS unless they are long barreled, but i am a lover of all shooting sports i like to shoot anything i can, and after having a fondle of the WE scar, it was put on my wanted list, as i say im not a skirmisher so ill not be skirmishing with it but would take it to gun clubs and shoot it in the airsoft and airgun rooms, but i still tend to put a lot of rounds through the guns but as you know the more guns we have it spreads out the usages making them last longer too, i would not use it as much in the winter, i tend to shoot more RS in the winter then a bit more airsoft and airguns in spring and summer..

After speaking to you on guys/girls on here and another forum i think ill stick with my first choice then and get the scar h, like i say, i have to save up another £100+ but ill just keep saying and wait for one of my locals to get one in stock, if its before i have the cash ready i will just get them to put one aside for me, i do really like the style look and feel of the scar so i should stick with that one shouldn't i..

lol katotaka your scar l looks very cool, is that a WE MSk stock fitted on it? i love how that looks, was it a straight forward fit? i must admit i do really like how that looks, :)

happy shooting all.

ATB, Marc..

LOL the flimsiness of the barrel, its a feature.  If you see the reviews online re: the Remington ACR, it doesn't zero properly after you strip down the barrel.  

For RS Bushmaster rifles, you're not gonna (be able to) QD/change it anyway, why bother? lol

oh wait, they just announced barrels in different lengths in SHOT 2017, all in 556... LOL!

lol katotaka your scar l looks very cool, is that a WE MSk stock fitted on it? 

Thanks, the stock is a drop in replacement from AngryGun, basically it's an adapter comes with an ACR stock (PTS I believe), remove lower receiver, switch and good to go.

The only issue is I mainly use 2 point slings, the stock just goes to longest position when I hang the rifle, I need to put a spacer in its sliding mechanism to limit the travel.

Archived