M1899 Philippine Constabulary Krag

renegadecow

Making something a bit unique for local WWII reenactments, I decided on making myself a Philippine Constabulary Krag. These are one of the rarer configurations of the US Krag and pretty much none of them made it back stateside (lots of fakes though) when the M1903 Springfield was formally adopted. 40 years obsolete when the Japanese invaded, plenty were still used as training rifles and probably equally as many were in the hands of civilians for hunting which would have undoubtedly been used again by resistance fighters.

I bought a JG M70 as base, an econo BAR-10 since I'll be butchering practically everything on it anyway. The "plastic" trigger box was my biggest concern but it turns out to be made of fairly robust nylon. I honestly have more faith in that part surviving than the pot metal 1st sear. Everything's drawn out already so now it's down to actual work. Originally I wanted to make the loading gate functional by having a removable magazine in it and have a long captive line of bbs always in the gun like the TM Gindan pistols and M40A5, but decided to make a working rifle as quickly as possible to use immediately and just make another with that feature with no rush.

IMG_8510.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Work on the Americano cigarillo dispenser continues. Epoxied aluminum panels on the receiver to square the sides up as well as bring the ejector port up and lengthened. Took the whole damn day on account of not having a mill. I've started on the magazine assembly which is bolted on the receiver (covered by the gate when closed) for ease of assembly when I get to the stock.

IMG_8588.jpg

Pretty easy actually. Larger butane torches work best as work pieces, even small ones, soak up a lot of heat in a vice. I'm currently stuck using a smaller pen torch on account of the last large can of butane I got won't burn so takes forever to reach temp and allows an oxide layer to form which welds won't stick to.

Archived