AKS to Lewis Gun

titchikov

So after much pondering and watching of Peaky Blinders, I've decided I want a Lewis Gun.

Unfortunately, no one makes one. I do, however, have a CA AKS-47 with a broken stock that I never use.

I've decided to do the project in three stages.

Phase 1: Vis-mod the AK so it actually looks like a Lewis Gun, but still functions like an AK. I'll use a shortened mag to feed it, and hopefully it'll look pretty good from a distance.

Here's an incredibly high def artists rendition I did in Paint.
incredibly%20high%20def%20artists%20impr

Phase 2: Mod the internals to take advantage of that long barrel, maybe a better hop up and motor if funds allow.

Phase 3: The most challenging bit, changing the feed system to feed from the fake drum mag. At the minute, I'm thinking P90 hi cap and hop up?

I'm probably going to split the work between slow night shifts at work, and various bits and bobs at home.

First thing I'm going to do is fabricate a threaded insert that will fit between the holes in the AK hand guard and hold the new outer barrel in place.

Any advice or comments are welcomed.

Someone here on these very forums did a brilliant lewis gun build with an M16. Might be worth a look:

(Sorry, Arnies has a terribad search function and doesn't work with google either so here's a mirror)

http://ww2aa.proboards.com/thread/8272

• 3 weeks later...
c3533dbb3b3622a4cfe4279f89384892.jpg

Quick update, I've done the bracket and stock.

Progress is very slow at the minute, partly because night shift is ridiculously busy, partly because it's a pain to make parts in one place and then have to test fit them back at home, partly cos I'm a moron and keep making silly mistakes.

Next on the agenda is to sand, shape and paint the stock.
Also need to make a reinforcing section that will form the receiver extension to hold the stock in place, and extend it over the top of the reciever so to have a place to mount the drum and rear sights.

Ordering the pipe and other plumbing bits to make the barrel will probably have to wait til next payday seeing as I spent all my disposable on 20s clothes and the sesh :) :) :)

Good start. If you're thrifty and good at scrounging most of the parts can be had for cheap/free. You just need to think outside of the box. My one was mad out of scrap wood, sewer and drain pipe, a pie dish, a desk lamp, ali water bottle, A sprite bottle, and a few random sheets of plastic.  

Stick with it and let me know if you need help

I love your build thread mate, like you said there's bits from all over in it!

At the minute the only thing I think I might have trouble with is the drum, and probably the feed mech.

What size drain pipe did you use? I've got loads of 60mm lying around, course the real thing has a shroud diameter of 86mm, so I was planing to just buy a bit of 90mm pipe.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Progress? Ish.

1b6b46d6a77f2c8c8e451da9b35b18b8.jpg

Things I have learnt so far:

Cyma plastic is about as strong as an 80-year-old's erection.

AKs are suprisingly easy to strip down.

I am terrible at marking out.

Getting there though, still need to buy more plumbing supplies to make the cooling fins and the end of the barrel. Also need to sort out a mag, and an extended outer barrel.

Slow and steady and all that.
  • 1 month later...

Keep at it, you will get better. And as you get better, you will come back and modify and repair things.  

I built my M1919 out on ABS plastic, I started with zero experience. Still adding and tweaking 2 years down the line. Totally worth it. 

RE feeding from the top:

With some effort, you can make a custom electric winding magazine out of a modded servo and a hicap. With the feed hopper coming from the Lewis gun magazine. 

Doing this would alleviate the problem of reseating your hop! 

Archived