AK12

Cesare

Hi just saw that NPOAEG released a full steel aeg airsoft AK12. For you who don't know what an AK12 is; it is Russias next standard assault rifle replacing the AK74m.

This is what npoaeg ak12 looks like

325e168dc4a4d3d1eb08a68a421314cc.jpg

I think I heard about it a year ago and really liked the futuristic look. I was also impressed that it was released before the real thing made a real entry. But I guess there is a downside with being too fast. About 6 months ago the Russians declared that they will not adopt the AK12. Instead they will go for the AK12. Confused? Actually they changed the general design of the gun more or less completely but kept the name AK12. See old prototype above and new design lower.

a03fbf8f65887c3007da346b9d3fbf51.jpg

This makes this new release just an odd prototype rather then the next standard AR of the Russian army. Kind of a let down if you ask me. I wonder if they will produce the real AK12 too? I guess now they more or less have to, right?

NPO are basing there design on the GEN2 AK12 where the Russians might adopt the GEN3. The original GEN1 looks like this:

AK-12-0_zpsizbfotq0.jpg

Externally the changes are cosmetic and the rifle is still based on the original AK design. The concept was to bring the AK74 design into the 21st century. This included fixing the top cover in place so that optics would hold zero, make the fire controls more ergonomic, have ambi controls, use polymer furniture where possible and fit RIS rails for 21st century atachments.

I'm surprise they didn't manage to source real furniture to go with their NPO products, instead they keep using what I suspect are casts, the level of detail is very poor I suspect due to the mold wearing as the batch goes on. For what they charge and how well machined their steel is, going with anything but real steel furniture isn't satisfactory. 

I'm surprise they didn't manage to source real furniture to go with their NPO products, instead they keep using what I suspect are casts, the level of detail is very poor I suspect due to the mold wearing as the batch goes on. For what they charge and how well machined their steel is, going with anything but real steel furniture isn't satisfactory. 

This.

I get that they make small production runs but the crappy 'cast out of a 3d printed mold which we didn't even try to acetone vapour smoothen' plastics - which on the first VAL AEGs were not even plastic but resin - are totally unacceptable for the prices they are asking.

Plus, watch the RedWolf product video:

The fake bolt literally hits the hop-up adjustment lever, so you can't let it go forward unless you want to break your hop up unit, you have to bend the hop-up lever into the gun first.

On an $800USD AEG.

They couldn't make a slimmer hop-up lever.

On an $800USD AEG.

Let's not even get onto the lack of a detent for the selectors, so there's no defined 'spot' where the selector will sit in any fire mode, or the fact that the selectors are way too stiff to move properly, or the fact that the shimming sounds utterly abysmally tight, or the lack of a mosfet and a proper burst mode...

On an $800USD AEG.

Sigh, always makes me sad that most of these "premium" Kalashs and other pattern rifles remain subpar compared to their armalite competitors, considering how robust the version 3 gearbox is.

Interesting, always had the opposite opinion. That you get more bang for your buck with a Kalashnikov AEG.

NPO should stick with what they're okay at, making kits. Once they build full replicas at higher retail price, they lose the market with a sub-par product.

Frankly, I don't think there will ever be a market for Soviet military weapons like the market for American military weapons.

You do for the budget lines, but when it reaches the very high end, you have less choices. Hopefully now that the AK PTW and KSC AK ERGs are out, we might start to see more innovation, what we need is KSC's ERG system inside a real sword / E&L body, or at the very least, LCT. 

Fair point, find the LCT/E&L roughly on par. Real sword is another level, but haven't seen much of their stuff in stock anywhere. They also seem to have stopped development of newer offerings.

I thought they were out of prototype phase a few years ago? But in any case, it isn't exclusively about this rifle, NPO has produced replicas with very good steel bodies, but very poor resin cast furniture for their other models too. As for how one would even go about getting real steel furniture, that's not really a question the consumers have to answer, the same way I don't question how Real Sword make their stuff with real steel furniture, I just appreciate it for the price tag they demand, and IMO, NPO is the closest thing to Real Sword on Russian replicas, and they seem to have had access to real steel counterparts at least during the design phase, they have contacts, so the expectation for it isn't unreasonable, whether or not it's achievable is a different story.

Plus, I mean, it's Russia.  No offence to our Russian members but pretty much everything is corrupt.  RS parts must be made in massive quantities.  A few rubles in the right hands should snag some bits of furniture.

RS parts for a now discontinued prototype probably weren't made in massive quantities, I have no idea how many gen 2 AK12 rifles were made for the military trials but I imagine the availability of parts would have been far more restricted than the regular AK74m. I was surprised they had made a repica at all.

True.  RS parts for the prototype I imagine would be nigh on impossible.  I would have thought access at least would have been doable.  I know Larry Vickers is fairly high profile but he's had a play with the various iterations I seem to recall.

Plus, I mean, it's Russia. No offence to our Russian members but pretty much everything is corrupt. RS parts must be made in massive quantities. A few rubles in the right hands should snag some bits of furniture.

I'm offended (I'm not Russian, just a Russophile).

Real steel furniture is plenty easy to acquire. In most of the CIS countries there are literal warehouses full of old AK parts.

'Corruption' has little to do with it. When I look at the US government, I see corruption on a larger scale than with 'evil' Russia. But, then again, who gives a *suitcase* what I think?

You know, I always wondered why BF4 decided to go with an AK12 instead of the 'traditional' AK74M.

lol.  I suppose you think RT.com is a legitimate news source?

It is widely known and admitted that Russia's civil institutions are corrupt.  Courts, elections, police structures, education, healthcare.  All corrupt.

You think the US gov is more corrupt?  You get many journalists murdered?  Extrajudicial killings?  Murders of activists and anyone the gov doesn't like? Of which there is more than enough evidence of.  Don't get me wrong, the US gov is a joke too but on a different level to Russia.  Political opposition in the US won't get you jailed or murdered.  US civil society is much more intact than Russia's.

Maybe do a bit more research if you consider yourself a Russophile and taking offence at facts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_in_Russia

Archived